You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Favorite foreign films

James wrote:
sic. wrote:

On Takashi Miike, Audition is interesting experiment in structure, as I recall the build-up was pretty damn long, and the outcome needed to be something that really put you on the edge of your seat. It was certainly a surprising experience, but I'm not that sure whether it'd sustain subsequent viewings.

I think a mistake with Audition is how it was pretty much marketed as a horror flick when its really not. Other than a few disturbing scenes, its a drama dealing with themes of loneliness, betrayal, trust(or lack thereof),etc. The movie is intentionally slow. It lulls you into a comfort zone and then slowly starts to unravel, culminating in a bizarre climax.

The film has many interpretations by all the artsy folks. Some say its empowering to women while others take an exact opposite stance saying its a diatribe against feminism. I think thats looking a little too deep into the film, as it deals more with one specific couple and how you basically know nothing about the person you are courting.

I consider it a masterpiece, and would recommend it to people who hate foreign films.

Visitor Q

Most bizarre film I have ever watched. Watched it a second time a few weeks ago. Its just so over the top. Other than showing the breakdown of the family in our current culture, and what seems to be Miike doing a bit of satire of the reality show genre, I don't think there is any deep meaning to this film. Its actually morbidly humorous at times, and had he been looking to use this film to deliver a serious message, half of those scenes would have wound up on the cutting room floor.

I still have not watched Ichi the Killer.

As far as Park goes, he is probably the most talented director alive today, and people who shun foreign films are really missing out on something special.

The Isle can take on Audition or any other film on the perils of a relationship leading to nasty situations any given day.

Just checked Netflix, and they have it.:mosh: I added it to my queue, but I have Cello, Singapore Sling, and Crazy Lips on the way, so I'll probably watch it next week.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

The original 'The Vanishing' is my favorite, although I rarely see foreign films. I remember loving 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Tiger' when it was made but I haven't seen it in years.

AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I still have not watched Ichi the Killer.

You should... Just make sure it isn't a UK import....

I think even the US version is supposed to be cut.

To add a few to the movies already mentioned.

Akira
C'era Una Volta Il West (Once Upon a Time in the West)
Chôjin Densetsu Urotsukidôji
Open Your Eyes
Pan's Labyrinth
Ringu
Ringu II
Ringu 0

I haven't seen Visitor Q in a while, but I'm gonna download it.

...And I thought Audtion was overrated, decent but still overrated .

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Akira

Saw it a long time ago. I remember loving it.

AtariLegend wrote:

C'era Una Volta Il West (Once Upon a Time in the West)

A landmark of cinema.

AtariLegend wrote:

Pan's Labyrinth

While it has some lapses of logic (try outrunning people who are on horseback), it's still good fun. Guillermo del Toro's other Spanish-spoken films Cronos and The Devil's Backbone are also worth seeking out.

AtariLegend wrote:

Ringu

One day I will check out both Ringu and Ju-On. One day.

As for other Japanese, Kurosawa has already been mentioned and rightfully so. But is anyone familiar with the films of Yasujiro Ozu? Ozu is remembered for his in-depth portrayals of the Japanese family unit, as well as his unique visual style - he always positioned the camera just a few feet above the ground, without moving it an inch. Vincent Gallo nicked that style to the dinner scene of Buffalo '66. Some people hate it for whatever reason, I personally feel there's something deceptively soothing and hypnotic in covering a scene with e.g. four stationary cameras, positioning them in a rectangular fashion. Every cut means the point of view will move either 90 or 180 degrees while the subject remains the same. Once you get into it, it works like a charm.

The French? Try Jean Cocteau. His take on The Beauty and the Beast (1946) should give you an idea on where Disney quite blatantly stole the character design for their cursed nobleman, while it also provides a good introduction to his dream-like directing style. A master of cinema, if there ever was one.

James

James wrote:

I watched Cello last night. Pretty decent flick, and the "twist" was pretty cool. My only issue is how stale asian horror is getting with these ghost chicks with black hair. Gimme something new for fucks sake.

I also watched Crazy Lips. Really strange movie. Basically a B movie that is just all over the place. One minute its a drama about a serial killer, then its a ghost story, musical, kung fu,etc. Also has several rape scenes where the women wind up enjoying it.

Not worth a repeat viewing, but I'm gonna watch the sequel Gore from Outer Space.

James

James wrote:

I watched Shutter. A few creepy moments, but like I mentioned in my post above, asian horror is getting really stale. Had this been one of the first asian horror flicks I watched, I would have enjoyed it more. I could see the story unfolding a mile away. Too predictable.

Also watched Singapore Sling. Supposed to be shocking, but the only thing shocking is the fact I didn't fall asleep.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

City of God
Pen's Labyrinth
The Ring

Thats the only three I can think of off the top of my head that I enjoyed. There's something quite nice about watching films and listening to music in foreign languages even if you don't understand it!

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Hmmm, let's see...

- I agree with those quoting Pan's Labyrinth.
  - Der Untergang, Das Experiment, Lola Rennt -> excellent German movies!
  - Howl's Moving Castle, just beautiful.
  - De Lift: excellent mid-80's Dutch horror movie! (yes, about an elevator...)
  - Man Bites Dog (not for the faint of heart), very good Belgian flick - so not actually foreign to me, but I reckon James will dig this one (since he likes Baise Moi so much).

And on the topic of Belgian films, have any of you guys ever seen the series called "Matroesjkas" in Dutch, "Matrioshki" or "Russian Dolls" as it's also known? If not, do yourself a favor and look it up. It's about eastern European sex slaves and how they are lured to western Europe with promises of earning big money as Dancers but get forced into prostitution instead. Non Flemish speakers will probably miss some of the 'humor' that accompanies the raw (and very realistic) vibe of this heavy theme due to translation, but I've heard the subtitles are very well done. And a lot of it is in (some sort of) English (with a very strong accent).

Check out the (subtitled) trailer:

James

James wrote:

I watched A Tale of Two Sisters last night. Wow. Its definitely one of the best films I have ever watched. While its advertised as horror, it is more of a psychological drama with a bit of supernatural element thrown in. A very intricate plot, and there are a couple of twists in the story. You can see the first twist coming as there are subtle hints given during the film, but it still surprises you. The second twist blew me away, although when it is shown and we see the flashbacks, you are surprised you didn't see it coming as well. I love the pacing of this film. The cinematography is amazing. I don't know what kind of film asian directors use or what their techniques are, but they are light years ahead of Hollywood in this department.

I don't want to spoil this film, so if you haven't watched it you should go rent, buy, or download this immediately.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

does harry potter count? lol no north american born actors or actresses in the whole series

um

crouching tiger hidden dragon
Akira

i dont watch many foregin films to be honest

Board footer