You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: MyGNR closing for business

DCK wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

So the King doesn't know about anything? It'd be kinda strange, since Axl seems to obsessed with the forum comments, I doubt that when he's monitoring that site, the name 'Goebbels' wouldn't come into his mind, if freedom of speech means anything to him. Except something to kill.

He knows because they are feeding it to him, and they are feeding it to him the way they want too. That' my theory.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Funny how it can go offline anytime for maintenance but now they have to wait for the service provider to shut it down.

Exactly. MM is one click and that's about it.

He could have made the announcement, said "so long and thanks for everything, we close at midnight" and then went into MM after the time elapsed.

I think they are hustling now to get some money and Eric is going to sell it. It's a money loser though and especially now, people have jumped ship. The whole thing is fucked up. I can't believe that a guy who ran a forum for that long would end it like this, what a disaster.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
DCK wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

So the King doesn't know about anything? It'd be kinda strange, since Axl seems to obsessed with the forum comments, I doubt that when he's monitoring that site, the name 'Goebbels' wouldn't come into his mind, if freedom of speech means anything to him. Except something to kill.

He knows because they are feeding it to him, and they are feeding it to him the way they want too. That' my theory.

Possible, but it reminds me of those theories that certain dictators were good in the heart, but surrounded themselves with evil people who manipulated them. I agree that Axl's probably living in a dream world, but he wants to be delusional and gets those people who lie enough for him and do the daily dirty job he wants to be done.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I don't think he nearly pays as much attention as people give him credit for. He's not an allmighty person with an eye on everything. No, in this case, regarding forums, he got people whispering in his ears. He prolly doesn't even know most fans despise Jarmo and HTGTH, but it's all speculation anyway. I'm not dressing Axl up in any type of clothes. I don't know him.

I think we'd all be surprised just how much of this flies right over his head

But back to MyGNR.

So it ends with keeping the damn board open. What a fucking drama queen.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Well, looks like russ was right. Perhaps it was just a desperate attempt to get Axl's attention.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

What a cluster fuck. Even if I was a post whore there, I wouldn't post ever again after this stunt. The whole thing is a huge slap in the face to the members.

They were likely looking for media attention and money. A few years ago some tiny site no one ever heard of shut down and it got media attention from various online outlets. The big enchilada threatens to shut down and no one gives the tiniest of shits.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:

I think ppp was kind of saying this earlier, but I'll say it again and point to specific examples.  I can't help but look at two things:

1) In January of last year, Madison "reported" that Axl had ordered a Slash apparel ban at the Winnipeg show and she never, ever was able to prove that Axl himself actually asked for this as opposed to someone doing this on Axl's behalf, like when Doug Goldstein banned Slash from the two Joint shows in 2001.

Madison single-handedly contributed to the propagation of this rumor.  There is no doubt about that.

2)  The discussion of the MSL documents and the rumors of what it contained were damaging enough that a member of the band, Ron, felt compelled  to go to MyGNR and defend himself against these allegations.

Both of these things happened on Eric's forum, a FAN forum.

Why in the hell should these things ever happen on a FAN forum for the band in question?  At a certain point, you have to step back and say, "Is this really functioning as a fan forum now?"

To me, no fan forum should have this effect on the band they are dedicated to.  Madison wasn't acting as a fan when she did what she did, she was acting as a reporter.  MSL wasn't acting as a fan when he did what he did, he was acting like a greedy, selfish, inconsiderate fool.

Should this behavior take place and/or be discussed and rewarded on a forum dedicated to supporting a band?  No.

Like I said, I've been on fan forums for Queensryche and Iron Maiden and some others, and never, ever seen anything like this kind of crap happen there.

Ali

James

James wrote:
Ali wrote:

I think ppp was kind of saying this earlier, but I'll say it again and point to specific examples.  I can't help but look at two things:

1) In January of last year, Madison "reported" that Axl had ordered a Slash apparel ban at the Winnipeg show and she never, ever was able to prove that Axl himself actually asked for this as opposed to someone doing this on Axl's behalf, like when Doug Goldstein banned Slash from the two Joint shows in 2001.

Madison single-handedly contributed to the propagation of this rumor.  There is no doubt about that.

2)  The discussion of the MSL documents and the rumors of what it contained were damaging enough that a member of the band, Ron, felt compelled  to go to MyGNR and defend himself against these allegations.

Both of these things happened on Eric's forum, a FAN forum.

Why in the hell should these things ever happen on a FAN forum for the band in question?  At a certain point, you have to step back and say, "Is this really functioning as a fan forum now?"

Valid points. On the subject of Madison, one strange thing she did was pushing that whole reunion thing by posting obscure articles from anonymous blogs right after CD's release. Now I can understand a fan wanting a reunion but that was a bit drastic and certainly grasping at straws.

James

James wrote:

Now they've let it turn into a guessing game on who's gonna buy it.

I wish God would intervene and put the site out to pasture. Its insulting the intelligence of anyone who goes there. I'm no longer checking it.

Aussie
 Rep: 287 

Aussie wrote:

Now I see HighVoltage one of the mods just posted this:

Hi Everyone,

As you know, the closure of MYGNRFORUM was announced a few days ago by Eric.

You guys have talked and we have listened. A number of you have expressed that you would consider making donations to keep the forum alive.

A prospective buyer has approached Eric, but needs some idea of what we can hope for in donations from members to determine whether the sale can even happen.

If you are interested in donating to keep the forum alive, please send me a PM with an amount you would potentially donate. Note, please only make a pledge if you intend to actually go through with it should a sale be finalised.

The ongoing costs of maintaining the site are significant and at the moment less than half the operating costs are covered. If the site is going to have a chance to survive, some generosity from members is going to be needed, particularly in the initial stages.

Cheers everyone,
Chris

NOTE: The site could go down at any point from now - time is of the essence.

They are playing games, if Eric wanted to shut it, it would be closed by now.  WTF now someone wants to buy it but the buyer wants to know how many people will dontate first???  A fool and his money....

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=176523

Board footer