You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: 2011-2012 NHL Season

I'm always a little bitter when the Sabres miss the playoffs, but I try to move on quickly and enjoy the playoffs anyway. Some great games already with Philly's comeback, and LA got a big win too.

My picks were Rangers in 6, Bruins in 7, Devils in 6, Pens in 5, Canucks in 5, SJ in 7, Chicago in 6 and Nashville in 7.

Pens and Nucks in 5 now would be pretty surprising.

Gotta love playoff hockey!

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Not sure about games but this is how I see it going:

Rangers,Bruins, Devils, Penguins / Canucks, Blues, Blackhawks, Predators
Rangers, Penguins / Canucks, Blues
Penguins, Blues
Penguins

This is how I'd like it to go:

Rangers, Capitals, Panthers, Flyers / Kings, Blues, Coyotes, Predators
Capitals, Panthers / Blues, Coyotes
Panthers, Blues
Blues.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

wow bono nice picks! for the ones how you'd "like" it to be 5

sorry CC but 3 of 8 aint too good 19

I was in 3 hockey pools this year ... won 2 and was 4th in the 3rd one....surprised even myself 16

my thoughts on round one

NYR/Ott - Too bad that Ottawa couldnt pull it out, it was a decent series an ottawa really poured it on at the end but couldnt pull it out...Lundqvist is pretty amazing

Bos/Wsh - ok series Boston deserved it but Holtby was hot, I always wondered why they didnt give Brayden a shot last year but maybe it was for the best...now if ovechkin/semin/backstrom/green can start playing like superstars on a regular basis it could be a good run for them

NJ/Fla - I have to say that this series had the makings of the all time shittiest ever 16 but i watched a couple games near the end (incl last night) and it was pretty exciting at times...does Marty have it in him to be the hero again this year? not a fan of NJ's style at all but i feel previages to have witnessed marty's career during my lifetime...he is pretty amazing, you can see he is not as good as he used to be though....more human

Pit/Phi - excellent series! man o man one of the best i have seen...gotta wonder now if phi has anythign left to go any further though. i am soo fucking glad that Pitsburgh is done, and Giroux is a tank man, i like this philly team!

Van/LA - did watch this much (the late time starts kill me) but i am glad to see vancouver gone...i hate the sedin's and not a fan of Luongo...kinda funny (in a morbid sort of way to see them unravel after their exit....hopefully Roberto doesnt go to toronto...if he thought it was a preassure cooker in Vancouver toronto will be hell 16 LA is a sleeper team i think...even after beating Vancouver

StL/SJ - I like this StLouis team...gain didnt catch much on the later starts but both Elliot and Halak are playing awesome (have been all year) and they have a nice group of all around players...Backes is something else...hopefully Andy McDonald can stay healthy and they may have a chance to go to the finals. excellent cinderalla year for them...where the hell mdid they come from!?

Phx/Chi - Phx has a good team...Mike smith is friggin hot this year! and they have an amazing ability to capitalize on the other teams mistakes...i thinkn tey talked about that on TSN...its true though...if they can keep games close they havea decided advantage....granted CHI was hurtin though...Crawford really disappoitned

Nsh/Det - disaapointed...if lidstrom retires then i thnk detroit is in serious trouble...if you doubt me look at when he was injured near the end of the regular season...also Datsyuk and Zetterberg hare heralded as superstars....granted they are talented but i dunno if they deserve the superstar status they carry....might be time to seriously dismantle thsi team and rebuild while the names still will gain some return....with all that said Nashville has a great team...Great all around team, a StL/Nsh semi would be a hell of a series, but i doubt it would be a rating getter 16 but Nsh is fast, skilled, greast goalie in Rinne, excellent Defense...ever notice that detroit always seems to get the hot goalie? well i had an epiphany....yes detroiit gets alot of shots but they are hardly quality...they rely very heavily on rebounds and screens...if they dont happen then the wings dont score

my picks for round two?

NYR vs Wash - Caps in 6
Phil vs NJ - Flyers in 5

StL vs LA - StL in 7
Nsh vs Phx - NSH in 6

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I'll admit I have no business picking the Western conference, where 3 of my 4 misses were. Boston/Caps went to OT in game 7, I had Bruins in 7 but Bergeron missed the net - oh well. Who didn't have the Pens winning? After Philly's performance in round 1 I think they have to be the Cup favorites right now.

So far it's been crazy with parity. Western Conference will be represented by a really new face. None of those teams have been contenders in the 21st century that I can remember. Should be interesting - especially St. Louis, which should be a strong hockey town but has had a terrible decade. Pittsburgh, Boston, and Buffalo didn't sell out when they were terrible in the early 00s, I think a Blues run could make that market a lot more fun.

Also, as much as I prefer having a Winnipeg team to an Atlanta one - recognizing all those hockey markets I just mentioned that sold poorly in down years, and how Atlanta never put a good product on the ice, was it really fair for the city to lose them? Thrashers had no chance to get big if they never won, and that's true of most American markets - even a big original 6er  like Boston

Bono

Bono wrote:

Well at this point I'm cheering for Phoenix because my buddy Derek Morris plays for them. When I say buddy yes he's actually my friend and not some guy I met once or twice 14 We grew up together playing hockey and pretty much played road hockey at his place everyday from grade 6  untill even after highschool although he left for junior hockey in grade 11. I had drinks with his brother a  few weeks ago so yeah I guess I'll cheer for Phoenix. Would be sweet to attend a celebration party with the Cup I think 9 

Having said that obviously the league's dream final would be the LA Kings vs NY Rangers.  their absolute nightmare though would be the Devils vs Coyotes 16

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

well my picks sucked huh? 0 for 4 in round 2 :hahaL

thats pretty cool that you know him..a guy i work with grew up with ray emery

he mustve been a hell of a hockey player growning up? did you know he would make the nhl?

kinda weird ... two teams from the atlantic and 2 teams from the pacific

Bono

Bono wrote:

hey yeah Neemo we all knew. Even he knew. When he was drafted 13th overall none of us(his hometown buddies) were surprised even though they made it seem like he came out of nowhere. He was fucking good his first 5 years in the league. Was a late cut from Canada's 2002 Olympic Gold Medal team and I belive at one point was a replacement player in case of an injury. He led the Colorado Avalanche in scoring for defencemen a few years(ahead of Rob Blake). Not sure what happend to him. He's had a great career in terms on longevity but he never really took off the way it looked like he was gonna. There's only been 279 players ever to play 1000 game sin the league and he's one of them.

The best was when he played for Calgary and we'd go watch and then get to hangout afterwards.  I don't look at hockey players as celebrities cause I've met so many and worked with a lot through coaching over the years but being able to go down to the dressing rooms after the games and hang out(outside the rooms of course) was cool. I remember one time aftera  Flames vs Ducks game standing outside the Flames dressing room talking with Theo Fluery and CBC interviewing Temmu Selanne just off to the side. It was cool to see how it all goes down behind the scenes.

It just blows me away that fo the last 14 years he's been pulling in millions per year. I think his current contract was like a 4 year 12-16 million deal. NUTS

Bono

Bono wrote:

GO KINGS!

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

i have a feeling that the devils will win

but woiuld be nice to see the kings win...thye have alot of great players

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

Great game, great ending (for the Kings) in overtime with a one on one at the end.  I was rooting for the Kings so I'm good

Board footer