You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

polluxlm wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I got Metal Gear Solid 4 the other day and it's absolutley awesome. It's the best next gen game so far imo, it looks sensational, it plays brilliantly the story so far is great and not ridiculously complicated which MGS2 was guilty of. If anything I can imagine hardcore MGS fans might not like it as much simply because it relies less on stealth than the other games, it's a lot easier to fight 4 or 5 enemy soldiers and win the battle than it was in MGS or MGS2, therefore sneaking around doesn't feel quite as essential. Not sure how far in I am, it feels like I've been playing for hours and I've only just defeated the first proper boss.

Anybody else got this game? If not I recommend you buy it.

I'd never played the series until this one. The gameplay is great and it's very entertaining to actually play the game. When you're allowed to do that, that is. I mean, how many hours of cut scenes are there? You play for 15 minutes then it's 25 minutes of watching 'the story'? And that shit only gets worse the longer you play. About halfway through I ended up just skipping all the videos, and that sucks since you're then playing a game without knowing what's really happening.

I can understand why people think it's a good story compared to games in general, but common. If they were screenwriters they'd be over in Hollywood. A video game should have a supporting story, not a supporting gameplay.

I don't even know if I've finished this game. That's how bad it got at the end. It says "story mode normal complete" on my save, but I seriously don't know when that happened. Sure didn't feel like I completed anything. Guess I should have watched the cut scene...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Axl S wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I wonder why no add on material for PS3?

What do you mean?

Tommie said the 360 was the only system getting add on material for GTA

Because Microsoft paid $50 million dollars for it.

They're saying its probably going to be another city and some features that are missing from previous versions. 

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/47472

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Anyone seen the video for "Heavy Rain (ps3)". That looks like it's going to be an amazing game. I love adventure games like that, so it might just be me, but if you remember Quantum Dream's previous game "Omikron: The Nomad Soul" and you like that, I think you'll know where I'm coming from.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/898/898580p1.html

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

polluxlm wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I got Metal Gear Solid 4 the other day and it's absolutley awesome. It's the best next gen game so far imo, it looks sensational, it plays brilliantly the story so far is great and not ridiculously complicated which MGS2 was guilty of. If anything I can imagine hardcore MGS fans might not like it as much simply because it relies less on stealth than the other games, it's a lot easier to fight 4 or 5 enemy soldiers and win the battle than it was in MGS or MGS2, therefore sneaking around doesn't feel quite as essential. Not sure how far in I am, it feels like I've been playing for hours and I've only just defeated the first proper boss.

Anybody else got this game? If not I recommend you buy it.

I'd never played the series until this one. The gameplay is great and it's very entertaining to actually play the game. When you're allowed to do that, that is. I mean, how many hours of cut scenes are there? You play for 15 minutes then it's 25 minutes of watching 'the story'? And that shit only gets worse the longer you play. About halfway through I ended up just skipping all the videos, and that sucks since you're then playing a game without knowing what's really happening.

I can understand why people think it's a good story compared to games in general, but common. If they were screenwriters they'd be over in Hollywood. A video game should have a supporting story, not a supporting gameplay.

I don't even know if I've finished this game. That's how bad it got at the end. It says "story mode normal complete" on my save, but I seriously don't know when that happened. Sure didn't feel like I completed anything. Guess I should have watched the cut scene...

It definitely becomes annoying the more you progress in the game (like it does in all MGS titles). The first sections of the game in the middle east and south america are near perfect though, cut scenes aren't too long and the gameplay and surroundings are amazing. The balance between gameplay and cut scenes tips the wrong way around the eastern european mission, besides the sneaking section at the beginning that whole part is like one big cut scene with a boss battle in the middle.

If you hadn't played the other games I don't think watching the cut scenes would have helped you much though. I know the MGS story(ish) and I found the story pretty confusing at times. If you can I'd suggest playing MGS 2 and 3, both are great games and especially in MGS3 the cut scenes aren't as bad and the gameplay and boss battles are amazing. It also helps to explain a lot of what's going on in MGS 4.

The last action you take part in before you complete the game is the hand to hand fight on the top of the ship with Liquid. After that it's all cut scenes.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I just saw that this morning. Looks awesome.

In other news... I'm going to pick up Tiger Woods 09 in about an hour. With the move, work and Labor Day approaching I'll have like ZERO time to play it, but hey, at least I'll have it.

I have it as well and haven't yet played it (and I'll be in Atlanta all weeked not playing it).  Have you had a chance to try it yet?

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Tommie wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Tommie said the 360 was the only system getting add on material for GTA

Because Microsoft paid $50 million dollars for it.

They're saying its probably going to be another city and some features that are missing from previous versions. 

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/47472

Oh ok. I wasn't aware of that. Hopefully it's a short term deal and that content will come out on PS3 in the spring or something.

It is is coming to PS3 eventually, just Microsoft paid $50 Million dollars like Tommie said but only to get it a hell of a lot early.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I'll be grabbing Mercenaries 2: World In Flames this weekend. 

Think GTA, only your a mercenary who can call in air strikes.  And the cherry on top is that there is a tactical nuke you can use.

Board footer