You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Taliban control of Afghanistan on the 20th Anniversary of 9/11

James wrote:

The Taliban announced that they are not going to allow us to extend the deadline.

It is a "red line".

Apparently Biden is considering extending the deadline.

This whole thing is surreal....the Taliban calling the shots.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

A few things need to be defined:

1.) How many American citizens remain outside Kabul airfield
2.) How many of those Americans want to be evacuated - It's not going to be 100%, so what do we do (if anything) to get those who don't want to be evacuated
3.) How many Afghani's meet the original intent of the SIV.  Reports are coming in that Biden is now trying to stretch the language to include 1000s who weren't qualified for that consideration

That's where the focus needs to be.  People advocating impeachment are just in lala land as those who wanted it 2 years ago (and again after Trump was out of office).  Democrats aren't going to impeach one of their own, just as Republicans didn't (though the standards of evidence are miles apart in this situation).  Biden isn't going to resign, nor should he.  He fucked up, but I'm tired of people demanding resignation or impeachment because they lost at the ballot.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

That's where the focus needs to be.  People advocating impeachment are just in lala land as those who wanted it 2 years ago (and again after Trump was out of office).  Democrats aren't going to impeach one of their own, just as Republicans didn't (though the standards of evidence are miles apart in this situation).  Biden isn't going to resign, nor should he.  He fucked up, but I'm tired of people demanding resignation or impeachment because they lost at the ballot.

I agree.  People need to know that you got do some serious heinous shit to get impeached.  I mean this is a major foreign policy fuckup that will probably cost them some seats in 2022.  But as far as impeachment goes, no not even close.  I almost hate the way impreachment has been politicized by both sides.  It's not a witch hunt tool.  It's a last resort thing to me where the President has done a act that is so against whatever the position of the President stands for that you have to get him out of there.

Alright rant over.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Folk are demanding impeachment? He's not done anything impeachable.

And yeah Taliban call the shots at the moment because they run the place. That's what was given up with the withdrawal.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Put Trump on this situation and you think he is letting Tali’s call the shots? No fvcking way. Hi ass would be opening up Bagram Air Force base and sending a message.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Put Trump on this situation and you think he is letting Tali’s call the shots? No fvcking way. Hi ass would be opening up Bagram Air Force base and sending a message.

He wouldn’t, cause that would be universally stupid. The Taliban knows Biden’s botched withdrawal has handed them thousands of US citizens as leverage. If Biden can get the people who want out, out, the Taliban will let them leave. They don’t want the US there, and the quicker we’re out, the better for them. What you’re talking about is an escalation of force, which would result in hundreds if not thousands of casualties, many of them American. This is a powder keg, and the US and allies are essentially fucked at the moment. If Biden gets everyone out by end of month, this whole fiasco will be forgotten and the media will return to talking about the nuclear explosion that happened at the Capitol in January.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Folk are demanding impeachment? He's not done anything impeachable.

And yeah Taliban call the shots at the moment because they run the place. That's what was given up with the withdrawal.

When impeachment was used as a tactical response to everything for four years, you kind of set a precedent.

I do think he should resign over gross incompetence. If anyone can watch Biden's speeches and interviews in the last two weeks and doesn't see there is something incredibly wrong with his decision making abilities, I don't know what to think. And it's not so much age or cognitive impairment, but a long career of horrible decisions that seems to be getting worse. I don't trust this guy to make decisions in that office.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

This doesn’t make any sense for a number of reasons. The first one being that he negotiated with them to get out. Why withdraw from a country but go back just because you don’t like what happened after you left?

We left. I agree on principal with that. It’s going to suck there now without US presence. You either accept that or stay there forever. Nobody wanted to stay forever.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

He wouldn’t, cause that would be universally stupid. The Taliban knows Biden’s botched withdrawal has handed them thousands of US citizens as leverage. If Biden can get the people who want out, out, the Taliban will let them leave. They don’t want the US there, and the quicker we’re out, the better for them. What you’re talking about is an escalation of force, which would result in hundreds if not thousands of casualties, many of them American. This is a powder keg, and the US and allies are essentially fucked at the moment. If Biden gets everyone out by end of month, this whole fiasco will be forgotten and the media will return to talking about the nuclear explosion that happened at the Capitol in January.

IF, but if 8/31 happens and the Taliban didn’t keep their word, and we still have folks trying to get out, there will be blood shed. What an epic cluster fvck. This whole admin is coming off as totally I competent. I do think Trump would set the tone that we are leaving but on our time line. If we need more than 8/31, we will use it. They would agree. Biden comes off as weak. So they will test him.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

This doesn’t make any sense for a number of reasons. The first one being that he negotiated with them to get out. Why withdraw from a country but go back just because you don’t like what happened after you left?

We left. I agree on principal with that. It’s going to suck there now without US presence. You either accept that or stay there forever. Nobody wanted to stay forever.

We all want out. We are leaving. But we need to dictate the timeline. Not the Taliban. Joe is the one that said 8/31 not them. What happened to September 11? That was his original time line. So if he needs until 9/5 so be it. Are they going to attack us? Ha. Let’s see how that works out for them.

Board footer