You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: Perhaps (2023) to Drop

otto wrote:
Clear wrote:

Well now that you say it... We never heard The General, so only version we will probably hear is the finished version with slash, and I'm sure that will bring us new questions about it's original sound sins there is no way to compare it to early version.. So will you be contempt with just new version or will there be desire for original?

Absurd, aka Silkworms, is the closer example. Never have heard a studio version, just live and a very different structure.

So I was disappointed by the guitars and it had nothing to do with comparisons.

Anyway, let's hope the other reworked songs are being treated better by the hat man.

Tmgladden
 Rep: 2 

Tmgladden wrote:
otto wrote:
Clear wrote:

Well now that you say it... We never heard The General, so only version we will probably hear is the finished version with slash, and I'm sure that will bring us new questions about it's original sound sins there is no way to compare it to early version.. So will you be contempt with just new version or will there be desire for original?

Absurd, aka Silkworms, is the closer example. Never have heard a studio version, just live and a very different structure.

So I was disappointed by the guitars and it had nothing to do with comparisons.

Anyway, let's hope the other reworked songs are being treated better by the hat man.

I have a mix I did the Ron’s guitars added to Silkworms. I can see you a pm if you’d like

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:
misterID wrote:

And yeah that transition is weird. I don’t think it’s a production problem, that was done on purpose because someone wanted it that way

Then the question becomes....

Why?

My guess is:

1. He was familiar (20+ years) with that dramatic opening to the solo so anything new makes it feel "missing".

2. Asking Slash to just replicate those couple of notes philosophically means you are telling Slash what to play - and you don't tell Slash how to do his job. Not only that you really don't tell him to do something the guy you tried to replace him with did - I'd be surprised if they speak much of that time at all lest they accidently re-ignite old drama.

Anyway, I dunno at all why they did it of course, but that's why I might have done it in that situation.

My thoughts on the song so far:

I still think it's a kickass tune (always have since the demo).

I love Slash and hate to rag on him but I don't think this was his best work. If you or I played that we would be happy - in itself it's a charming little solo - but it's not worthy of Slash - as someone said above it feels like a first take - and it feels too much like he just went the opposite of the existing solo - like play low where it was high just to be something else.

Vocals sound like they are badass, but I really wanna hear a proper studio release for that rarther than these pocket kinda recordings.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

It's probably tricky too...like Slash is being come in and asked to play over existing recordings that we're Axl's babies at the time and of which there was a lot of drama around - and in some cases by players who don't really play in his style.

Generally he's doing that well - just playing them with more of a classic rock vibe (eg the title track!)  - but you can see why maybe he felt that's not a moment for him to re-invent the wheel. It's not the time he's going to push back against song structures or really try and take some heavy risks with his playing. So I think that's what's happened. Same on Absurd - live he goes crazy and shreds it up - but the studio version if quite 'safe' and non offensive.

He's also probably doing it in a hotel room on the road with myles or something...and who knows if Axl was around to ask questions of....then when Axl hears it back....is he really gunna ask Slash to have another pass at it? Like he's probably just glad they sorted their shit out and can work together at all - even casually like it is.

So my guess is slash went safe to not piss off Axl, and Axl didn't call him on it to not piss off Slash.

But then that could be entirely fictional - who the fuck knows how suff happens, being in a band is always weird and the creative process is even stranger.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It's probably tricky too...like Slash is being come in and asked to play over existing recordings that we're Axl's babies at the time and of which there was a lot of drama around - and in some cases by players who don't really play in his style.

Generally he's doing that well - just playing them with more of a classic rock vibe (eg the title track!)  - but you can see why maybe he felt that's not a moment for him to re-invent the wheel. It's not the time he's going to push back against song structures or really try and take some heavy risks with his playing. So I think that's what's happened. Same on Absurd - live he goes crazy and shreds it up - but the studio version if quite 'safe' and non offensive.

He's also probably doing it in a hotel room on the road with myles or something...and who knows if Axl was around to ask questions of....then when Axl hears it back....is he really gunna ask Slash to have another pass at it? Like he's probably just glad they sorted their shit out and can work together at all - even casually like it is.

So my guess is slash went safe to not piss off Axl, and Axl didn't call him on it to not piss off Slash.

But then that could be entirely fictional - who the fuck knows how suff happens, being in a band is always weird and the creative process is even stranger.

Everything is locked in. Axl isn't going to go in and change the song so it can flow properly if any significant changes are made.

This isn't the Beatles/Lennon with Child of Nature and years later Lennon turns it into Jealous Guy. The only changes that get to be made here are some guitar tracks and Duff pasted in to remind everyone of It's So Easy.

We're lucky we're even getting any of this. It has to be stifling for Slash and he could have easily said no...it's not like Axl is on fire with wanting to get new music to the masses.

It's not a big revenue stream for them. One show will bring in more money than this song ever will.

Edit

It's eerily similar to Ron's situation in 2006-07.

Different but the same...

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yes I recall Ron really pushing in the media for them to take this kind of approach of getting the music out with individual songs.

I'm glad it's finally happening. Hope we get perhaps properly on Friday.

GIbsonfan2024
 Rep: 0 

One pm please

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

There's links a few pages back

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Brian May talked about Axl being emotionally attached to Robin’s guitar work so it makes sense he left that part in. He’s definitely not doing it for any other reason than he wanted it in there

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

misterID wrote:

Brian May talked about Axl being emotionally attached to Robin’s guitar work so it makes sense he left that part in. He’s definitely not doing it for any other reason than he wanted it in there

I agree. The solo and off time lyrics in Absurd are not mistake's they are choices. I get people thinking they are bad choices but a song doesn't get to the point of release without those things being caught by producers or engineers if they are mistakes. Even in a band that seems chaotic like GN'R.

Board footer