You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Perhaps (2023) to Drop

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

The outro vocals are different. There’s def added vocals in the chorus. I could be wrong, but either they were way enhanced or new. Idk, I’m picking up different melodies in the tone at certain points than in the demo.

Maybe so on the later parts you mentioned. I only compared the first 10-20 seconds and it sounds like the same vocals to me. That's the main part of the song that repeats over and over.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You guys could be totally right. He’s added new vocal parts to TWAT, The Blues, CD, Riad on old vocals before CD’s release, so he’s done it before. I’m just not used to the vocals sounding this good 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

You guys could be totally right. He’s added new vocal parts to TWAT, The Blues, CD, Riad on old vocals before CD’s release, so he’s done it before. I’m just not used to the vocals sounding this good 16

I just wish the songs could be mixed properly.

I want to enjoy listening to The General on 11...not be forced to lower it to 3 so my ears don't bleed.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I want to enjoy listening to The General on 11...not be forced to lower it to 3 so my ears don't bleed.

Funny thing is Chinese Democracy avoided the "loudness" trend of the 2000's. Supposedly Axl was given a choice between an older mixing style and the louder version. He chose the old school approach. Given all the dumb shit he did in the studio on that album, it's hilarious that he still had good taste for proper sound quality.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You really shouldn’t have one guy do mixing, mastering and producing. CD was mixed by Andy Wallace and mastered by Bob Ludwig. And you can tell where Axl and Caram went behind them and added stuff themselves.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Both Hard Skool and Perhaps are sonic messes to me. Hard Skool has Axl buried too low in the mix with an echo on his voice, and keyboards that are barely audible to the extent of being pointless.

Perhaps has that extra piano at the end of the verses that sounds out of place, like it was being played for a different song in a different room. I like the low voice Axl uses in the chorus but it's too low in the mix. No way this song makes a dent in radio when it's difficult to understand what's being sung in the chorus.

James

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Funny thing is Chinese Democracy avoided the "loudness" trend of the 2000's. Supposedly Axl was given a choice between an older mixing style and the louder version. He chose the old school approach. Given all the dumb shit he did in the studio on that album, it's hilarious that he still had good taste for proper sound quality.

Yeah...the Loudness Wars didn't ruin the album...the mixing in general ruined it.

I'm starting to wonder if it was beyond saving at that point. It might have required two things....

1. An A level producer with an A+ crew

2. Going back to earlier versions of the material and building it back up from scratch.

However the mop flopped, adding extra crap to already finished songs at the two minute warning like ID just mentioned was a mistake.

I still say the final mix ruined any potential Better had as a single. It sounded horrible on the radio. Abrasive to the bone.

Hell...its fucking demo made bigger waves in 2006 on those east coast radio stations before the cease and desist no nonsense than it did in 2008.

I'm just ecstatic that we may be on the verge of getting the final big guns. It's unfortunate we couldn't have this back in 2000-02...it is what it is.

Better to get it like this than not at all.

James

James wrote:

it's difficult to understand what's being sung in the chorus.

The chorus pretty much kills it.

The song begs for a hook that never comes.

I'm glad it's doing as good as it is. That video is trending on YouTube.

We need these songs to at least get in the middle of top 20-40 charts...whether radio or simply social media trending patterns...which hopefully leads to more ticket sales.

If they see genuine benefits to these releases, we'll get more.

They're tempting me to go to one more show. As you guys know, I've been boycotting tickets/merch since 2017until they start releasing new material.

That point is here.

I hope there's no more fuck ups on the rollout of songs.

Let us enjoy this with incompetence on the back burner.

James

James wrote:

Here's the point in the CD timeline where the new Perhaps vocals may have been recorded.

From CD Whispers....

At this point, Axl was supposed to have done in the few remaining days of studio work that had been hanging in the air ever since Inland Invasion in late September.

"It was all vocal overdubs or vocal leads. He would move from song to song, working on different parts. He was jumping about, but he knew exactly what he wanted. The producers set everything so the workflow is catered to the artist for anyone, and that is how it went down here.

From what I saw, it was first takes or at most two or three takes. Rose would say, 'I can get the part better' or 'I can tighten it up.' [...] He just went in and sang. He was living with the record a long time by then, and he really knew what he wanted to do.

He proved a good guy to be around. We would start about 5 or 6 in the evening, hitting tape by 7. We worked five or six hours. These were great sessions." (Mark Gray, LA Times, 11/25/08)

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

The chorus pretty much kills it.

The song begs for a hook that never comes.

I'm glad it's doing as good as it is. That video is trending on YouTube.

We need these songs to at least get in the middle of top 20-40 charts...whether radio or simply social media trending patterns...which hopefully leads to more ticket sales.

If they see genuine benefits to these releases, we'll get more.

They're tempting me to go to one more show. As you guys know, I've been boycotting tickets/merch since 2017until they start releasing new material.

That point is here.

I hope there's no more fuck ups on the rollout of songs.

Let us enjoy this with incompetence on the back burner.

I'm going to be optimistic here as say this may chart better w/modern audiences or younger ones than we think.   Yeah, the chorus pretty much needed him to put in work.  I still have no idea what is said and that's from listening to the demo and finished product.  But we are all hardcores who pick this stuf apart.

I think it's catchy enough with it's flaws to make a dent with those millenials and or/people who don't know or care about the CD saga.

I'm gonna give them a general break on the incompetence.  It's amazing what rolling out an actual video and potentially releasing an unheard song will do.

Board footer