You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Perhaps (2023) to Drop

tejastech08 wrote:

The song is now up to #9 on the iTunes chart. Oliver Anthony currently has 4 of the Top 8 songs. Take out of 3 of those songs, and GN'R would be sitting at #6 right now. Pretty damn good.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

One of my favourite things about GN'R is how they vary stresses, emphasis and… syllabic structure? I'm not sure what you'd call it…

The outro to YCBM is a great example; most bands would just sing "You could be mine" over and over, same stresses and emphasis. But GN'R mixes it up; you have Izzy singing "Y'could be mine" while Axl's singing "Youcould be mi-e-ine." And then during the last bit of the song he's basically singing it every possible way you can sing it – singing "mi-e-ine" in an ascending melody, then a lower melody, etc etc. It's one of the things that makes GN'R more sophisticated than other bands, I think.

And he's doing it again with the chorus for Perhaps:
Got a lot more than I bargained for - 9 syllables, emphasis on the "got" and the "lot"

You forgot about the others you were fighting for – 13 syllables, cheeky little run of triplets at the start of the line

Sold out to the ones that you once ignored – 10 syllables, emphasis comes on the second and fifth syllables, "out" and "ones"

You used to be a little crazy, now there's so much more – 14 syllables, with this rapid quickfire run from "you" through to "so" and then a slower triplet.

I'm probably not using the right technical terms there, but what I like is that Axl's playing around with structure.

elevendayempire

It's also just a really catchy earworm of a song, Perhaps.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Song is a grower and catchy as hell. I think the biggest hurdle to this being a mainstream hit is that it’s almost impossible to make out what Axl is saying in the chorus - people like to sing along to big hits in the car and that chorus I just can’t see that happening.

That said, it didn’t stop ‘You could be mine’ being huge with the line “with your bitchslap wrappin’” etc

Bluefish18
 Rep: 2 

Bluefish18 wrote:

Definitely growing on me. I loved the demo, but it needed work.  I like the touches Slash put on the solo, i just which they were more pronounced, maybe a little longer.  The talkbox part is great.  And the video seals it for me-really well done.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Take out of 3 of those songs, and GN'R would be sitting at #6 right now. Pretty damn good.

faldor wrote:

The music video for Perhaps is at #5. And it was #17 trending on YouTube earlier.

large-marge-peewees-big-adventure.gif

That's incredible.

I'm starting to wonder how Hard School would have went down had it been the first single with Absurd as B side and a video.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

you have Izzy singing "Y'could be mine" while Axl's singing "Youcould be mi-e-ine."

One of the best parts of that song.  22

The chorus is just too messy. Maybe he should've slowed it down a tad.

elevendayempire

James wrote:

you have Izzy singing "Y'could be mine" while Axl's singing "Youcould be mi-e-ine."

One of the best parts of that song.  22

It still annoys me that Duff doesn't sing the backing vocals in the outro the way Izzy recorded them on the original studio version.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I think the song has some good melodies yet I don't find it easy to sing along to or recall in my head. Which you would expect for that kind of piano based tune (or perhaps it was because I was watching a Beatles cover band earlier playing 'Hey Jude' and drawing a parallel). Maybe I need a few more spins.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

It’s no.3 on main UK itunes chart at the minute, which is pretty impressive.

Board footer