You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: "Chicken Dinner" Shackler's Revenge Leak

James wrote:
monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

So in Chinese democracy Robin plays a solo from 3.07 to 3.22 and the Bucket tags in and plays from 3.22 to 3.37.

Is the consensus that the SR solo is also in 2 parts like this? As in 2.16-2.31 is one guitarist and then 2.31-2.45 is another? If so - is it bucket and BBF? And does this mean one of those breaks was originally Robin and has been redone?

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

I know it's a little late 'n all, but I'm gonna write down a more detailed review of the song, as I see it.

The intro (if you ignore the ridiculous distorted chord bashing the first two seconds) is amazing, signature buckethead. My only gripe with it might be that's it's very reminiscent in style of a lot of Bucket's stuff, but that's not really relevant to the general public anyway.

Then, when the verse kicks in, and Axl starts singing in that low, low voice. That is one of the highpoints of the song for me. The vocals are amazing in this one, the timing is perfect and the lyrics (although possibly overly simple) fit the song.

The pre-chorus is ok, but not great. Too Zombie-esque in the rhythm department and the riffs and fills over the B-chord are too uninspired to elevate it to great heights. But overall, I still like this part. The transition from the verse is too abrupt though.

The chorus itself is not good at all. It's bland, uninspired, messy and noisy. It's usually the other way around, but when the chorus comes on I start looking forward to the next verse. This is easily the weakest part of the song and kills it for me.

The solo, well... I don't like it, but I think there are some cool ideas in there. I usually don't mind the "sound-effect" style segments in a solo, but this one overdoes it a little bit. I miss coherence, and most of all melody.

The guitar sounds are not my cup of tea, except for the bucket interludes. I love the smoothness of his sound. Very well rounded (as it usually is).

So all-in-all this song is the best Rocker we've had from these guys so far (possibly followed by CD). Still some way under my own personal expectations. Overall, if this was the first song I've heard from these guys, I wouldn't be disappointed as it seems as if it is a good start and leaves room for the band to grow.

Sadly, this obviously isn't true. Bucket (a major driving factor behind this song) is gone, and we've heard a bunch of other (in my opinion lesser) songs before this one.

I'm still waiting for that ace up Axl's sleeve.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

TheMole wrote:

I know it's a little late 'n all, but I'm gonna write down a more detailed review of the song, as I see it.

The intro (if you ignore the ridiculous distorted chord bashing the first two seconds) is amazing, signature buckethead. My only gripe with it might be that's it's very reminiscent in style of a lot of Bucket's stuff, but that's not really relevant to the general public anyway.

Then, when the verse kicks in, and Axl starts singing in that low, low voice. That is one of the highpoints of the song for me. The vocals are amazing in this one, the timing is perfect and the lyrics (although possibly overly simple) fit the song.

The pre-chorus is ok, but not great. Too Zombie-esque in the rhythm department and the riffs and fills over the B-chord are too uninspired to elevate it to great heights. But overall, I still like this part. The transition from the verse is too abrupt though.

The chorus itself is not good at all. It's bland, uninspired, messy and noisy. It's usually the other way around, but when the chorus comes on I start looking forward to the next verse. This is easily the weakest part of the song and kills it for me.

The solo, well... I don't like it, but I think there are some cool ideas in there. I usually don't mind the "sound-effect" style segments in a solo, but this one overdoes it a little bit. I miss coherence, and most of all melody.

The guitar sounds are not my cup of tea, except for the bucket interludes. I love the smoothness of his sound. Very well rounded (as it usually is).

So all-in-all this song is the best Rocker we've had from these guys so far (possibly followed by CD). Still some way under my own personal expectations. Overall, if this was the first song I've heard from these guys, I wouldn't be disappointed as it seems as if it is a good start and leaves room for the band to grow.

Sadly, this obviously isn't true. Bucket (a major driving factor behind this song) is gone, and we've heard a bunch of other (in my opinion lesser) songs before this one.

your review is fundamentally flawed and contrived, it is trying so tragically to sound pretentious but even fails at doing that, your opinion is invalid and you should apologise. the amount of buckethead dick riding is so palpable that if you lean in you can almost hear it. the whole thing was a vain attempt at pseudo-intelligence. in the future try to intertwine and disguise your unrequited love for anything buckethead produces, rather than allow it to dictate your review. after reading half of it became exceedingly obvious that the review was nothing more than a love letter dedicated to buckethead.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:
TheMole wrote:

your review is fundamentally flawed and contrived, it is trying so tragically to sound pretentious but even fails at doing that, your opinion is invalid and you should apologise.

your post is fundamentally flawed and contrived.

How about instead of talking shit to the guy and running your mouth, U TELL HIM WHY he is wrong? I don't necessarily agree with all of his review but its at least honest and how he feels.

Id rather someone post something I disagree with then have some person just talk shit without having any sort of addition to the conversation.

Captain Winkler

your post is fundamentally flawed and contrived.

How about instead of talking shit to the guy and running your mouth, U TELL HIM WHY he is wrong? I don't necessarily agree with all of his review but its at least honest and how he feels.

Id rather someone post something I disagree with then have some person just talk shit without having any sort of addition to the conversation.

hes reviewing a song, i am reviewing his review, if he didn't want someone critiquing it then he shouldn't have posted it.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Im not tryin to bust your balls Captain but, What if u told him why he was wrong and how u felt about it? See what Im saying?
I post on so many websites and u will have people who never add to a conversation, they will just say stuff like "U fail" or "STFU" or something like that.

I disagree with The Mole cause I think the song kicks ass how it starts. Also, the chorus has really grown on me and if u go back in GNR history, Axl has never been a Chorus writer.

Think about his biggest hits and the choruses.

SCOM "Whoa oh oh oh SCOM, who oh oh oh Sweet love of mine

NR doesnt even have a chorus, same for Estranged, Coma , Madagascar, The Blues,

He just isnt a writer that makes the Chorus the HOOK and THE part.

I think the chorus of Shackler's gets the message across perfectly.

James

James wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

your review is fundamentally flawed and contrived, it is trying so tragically to sound pretentious but even fails at doing that, your opinion is invalid and you should apologise. the amount of buckethead dick riding is so palpable that if you lean in you can almost hear it. the whole thing was a vain attempt at pseudo-intelligence. in the future try to intertwine and disguise your unrequited love for anything buckethead produces, rather than allow it to dictate your review. after reading half of it became exceedingly obvious that the review was nothing more than a love letter dedicated to buckethead.

In the future, refrain from posting such nonsense or your stay here will be short.

I think you're capable of responding to someone's post without using such immature tactics.

Captain Winkler

he was asking for it!!

ok sorry but that alone just got me pissed.

James

James wrote:

You can disagree with people and not sink to such a level. I've seen some of your posts and they are well thought out. Then the next minute you post something like that. That's not how this site operates, and it seems like people could see that just by reading the threads here.

Board footer