You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Radio Reacts To Guns N' Roses Single

buzzsaw wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

Chris Moyles & co played it on BBC Radio 1 this morning - they said 'Hmm, not sure about that one' Then went on to tell half the country that 'its not really Guns N Roses because its just Axl & a bunch of session musicians'. Then they ended up talking about VR instead.

This may sound a little bit hypocritical coming from me, but I really wish radio people would stop trying to tell people what to think about a song.  I understand why they do it, but I don't think it helps.  Their job should be to play the music and entertain, not influence what people do and don't like.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not sold on the sirius ranking being legit, but the others very well could be, or at the very least are closer to legit.  This is a positive sign.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but why don't you think it's legit?

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Locomotive98 wrote:

Chris Moyles & co played it on BBC Radio 1 this morning - they said 'Hmm, not sure about that one' Then went on to tell half the country that 'its not really Guns N Roses because its just Axl & a bunch of session musicians'. Then they ended up talking about VR instead.

I heard that, I woke up to it. I thought the song sounded awesome a bit faster or something, or perhaps I was half asleep 16

They hmmd about it, talked about VR for a bit (it sounded like Moyles had no idea VR was Slash, Duff etc) and said they needed to give it a few more listens but it was 'ok'. Not sure if that's the first time Moyles has played the song? Apparently Jo Whiley and Zane Lowe have been saying how much they love it since it was played last week.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not sold on the sirius ranking being legit, but the others very well could be, or at the very least are closer to legit.  This is a positive sign.

I think if there's one type of place that's going to continue to get flooded with forum spammers, it's sirius or some other national broadcast.  It's less likely that a local station is going to continue to be spammed.  I also think if GnR were going to try to manipulate the ratings somehow, they would be targeting national sites or big market sites.  I have no proof of any of this, it's just my opinion.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

This may sound a little bit hypocritical coming from me, but I really wish radio people would stop trying to tell people what to think about a song.  I understand why they do it, but I don't think it helps.  Their job should be to play the music and entertain, not influence what people do and don't like.

agreed 100 percent

axlin - that zombie track is amazing, isn't it?!

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

I'm not really with you on that one - I'd love a DJ to be a bit more objective - it would be great to finally hear on the radio 'Well that was the new Fallout Boy song - what a steaming pile of bollocks' than something like 'Well, they've really done something different this time but it rocks, I love it!!!'

I'd like to think the public can form their own decisions. Mind you, with the stuff that is thrown down our throats, it would appear not...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think if there's one type of place that's going to continue to get flooded with forum spammers, it's sirius or some other national broadcast.  It's less likely that a local station is going to continue to be spammed.  I also think if GnR were going to try to manipulate the ratings somehow, they would be targeting national sites or big market sites.  I have no proof of any of this, it's just my opinion.

I hear you.  That could be the case.  I have Sirius and listen to the station.  I vote for the song a couple times a day.  But they make it real easy to vote.  You can do it straight from the website, by phone, or e-mail.  It's a level playing field though isn't it?  I mean, Metallica fans, ACDC fans, they're not outlawed from doing the same thing.  You think GNR fans are just more faithful?

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Not that they're more faithful necessarily...I think there are other factors at play and most of them hinge around the fact that this album cannot be seen as a failure.  Metallica and AC/DC are in completely different situations...they don't need to convince anybody that they are Metallica or AC/DC (respectively).  Their hardcore fans are going to buy the albums regardless...not so much with GnR fans (though many will including me).

First of all, I think New GnR fans are more motivated...if they love the new band, they certainly can't have this single or album fail.  If either flops, this band is done.  Secondly, I think GnR management obviously has a vested interest in the success of it.  Add to that the fact that they have a huge forum that is pretty much controlled by them (whether it is literally or not) and it gives them a tool that doesn't cost them anything to influence the voting.  They know they can't possibly win in every market, so they focus on the big markets or the national broadcasts. 

I'm not saying any of this is actually happening, but none of it would surprise me a bit, so I am skeptical on the numbers.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Problem with that idea Loco98, is the fact that every radio station I listen to trashes CD, then turns around and talks about this really rockin' track from Hinder.

There's such a fuckin' bias. It amazes me that people still deny it.

At this point, I hope Axl releases 23 more albums without 21, 'til only 3 people are buying GN'R albums, just to piss the world off.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Problem with that idea Loco98, is the fact that every radio station I listen to trashes CD, then turns around and talks about this really rockin' track from Hinder.

There's such a fuckin' bias. It amazes me that people still deny it.

At this point, I hope Axl releases 23 more albums without 21, 'til only 3 people are buying GN'R albums, just to piss the world off.

The bias goes a lot of directions.  Some people (not me) actually like this stuff that we call crap.  There's no denying that either.  Everybody is biased.  So just because you think someone is an idiot for liking Hinder doesn't mean there aren't millions of Hinder fans that think Axl sucks.  If you think Hinder radio guy is biased, then you need to admit your own bias.

Most of us that prefer complex music are not going to like the simple pop/rock of today.  That creates a bias in all of us and it takes something special to overcome that bias, much like a lot of people are going to be biased against this band.  If it manages to succeed inspite of the bias that exists against it, it will be a huge accomplishment for Axl and his management team.

Board footer