You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Radio Reacts To Guns N' Roses Single

buzzsaw wrote:

Yes russ.  I want it to be a success and I hope that I am wrong.  There are just too many things pointing towards disappointment for me to ignore.

I prefer UYI to AFD and many of the songs I prefer are the "Axl" songs.  That said, I really like what Slash added to those songs.  Slash is why I play guitar and while he is not the most talented player out there, I really like his style.  Some of the things he's done have been not so good and in some cases, bad.  I don't like everything he does because he did it.  I used to be one of the biggest Axl defenders out there. 

Do I consider this band GnR?  No, not really.
Am I ok with an Axl Rose solo album released as GnR?  Not really, but it is what it is.
Do I prefer a GnR with Slash in it?  Yes, right now I do. 
Do I prefer a GnR without Slash to no GnR?  Absolutely.
Do I want any GnR to be successful?  Yes, as long as it is genuinely successful and not fabricated.  This is where a lot of my issues with CD come in.

I've been on record for years on my feelings on the CD songs.  I think TWAT could be one of my favorite GnR songs ever.  Top 5, but I want to hear the final version before making that decision.  If someone that really does want the album to succeed sees it this way, how do you think the rest of the world is going to react?  All the people saying they don't care what other people think are not being completely honest with themselves.  We all care what other people think.  It makes a huge difference and can have a major impact in the future of the band we all care about both short term and long term.

I'm fine that other people love the demos and love this version of CD, but they seem to have this expectation that people all over are just going to love the song and that just isn't realistic.  Being unrealistic in expectations is in my opinion worse than expecting the worst.  If the expectations bar is set at one level and the album doesn't get there, it will be deemed a failure.  Who wins in that scenerio?  Nobody.

So no matter what your reason for wanting the CD to be at least relatively successful, that is what we all want.  An album that some long term fans are not all that excited about is a potential problem.  An album that some fans are labeling as the holy grail is a potential problem if it falls short.  An album sold at a retail store as an exclusive that most people are not going to be rushing to the store to buy creates a potential problem.  The Best Buy thing, while great for immediate cash for the band, is a major, major mistake in my opinion.  The few people that buy CDs now aren't rushing to BB to buy this album with the song CD used as the promotional single.  It won't help sales ultimately, it will hurt sales.  None of these things by themselves are MAJOR issues, but add them all together and it is a lot for a band that has been out of the spotlight for 15 years and only one of the key guys is left.  It's never worked out before and it's pure ignorance to assume that this time is going to be different.

That is a pretty realistic opinion on the situation.  Things could work out great, but the reality is that the odds are against it.  That doesn't make me negative, that makes me realistic.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

That is killer--and we should keep voting, as Sirius Octane is likely the most listened to rock station in the U.S.

Ignorance, pure ignorance.  This isn't helping at all. 

For Christ's sake, get people to actually be interested in the band instead of trying to make people think the band is popular when it isn't.  Axl wants to sell records, he doesn't give a fuck that some crazy internet person sent 1000 e-mails to a radio station.  You're not helping sell records. 

When it suddenly drops off the lists after a day because the internet retards stop spamming the radio stations, tell me exactly why they are going to keep playing the song?  Exactly.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

That is killer--and we should keep voting, as Sirius Octane is likely the most listened to rock station in the U.S.

For Christ's sake, get people to actually be interested in the band instead of trying to make people think the band is popular when it isn't.  Axl wants to sell records, he doesn't give a fuck that some crazy internet person sent 1000 e-mails to a radio station.  You're not helping sell records. 

When it suddenly drops off the lists after a day because the internet retards stop spamming the radio stations, tell me exactly why they are going to keep playing the song?  Exactly.

I think you're being a bit harsh. While I actually agree with some of your sentiment regarding the 'street team' approach to this, you're going a bit too far labeling a fan as ignorant just because they want the song/album to show up high on the charts.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

I think you're being a bit harsh. While I actually agree with some of your sentiment regarding the 'street team' approach to this, you're going a bit too far labeling a fan as ignorant just because they want the song/album to show up high on the charts.

The ignorance is the thinking that spamming the stations is helping.  When the song drops off the charts tomorrow or the next day, it's airplay is done.  That helps how?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Buzzsaw, I think you stated earlier that you can't put much stock in people's initial opinions on the song today.  I would agree with you, but for different reasons.  You seem to think the song was getting favorable reviews right from the bat, and from a majority of GNR forum members.  I'm not gonna deny that I'm sure we all did our part and then some, but I found that the response to the song got stronger throughout the day.  When I first listened to the song at 6 this morning on WAAF, the callers were bashing the song with the typical "it took 15 years for this?".  "Axl can't sing anymore".  etc, etc.  The DJ's were a little unsure of Axl too, but they did say they thought the band sounded really good.  But by the time they played the song for the 3rd time in three hours there were no more negative calls, and the DJ's completely changed their tune and were saying the song was really good.  That goes to show me that after a few listens, if people let the song sink in, it can be appreciated for what it is.

Obviously there are gonna be people out there that aren't gonna give this song, or any new GNR song any chance.  But MOST GNR fans are fully onboard, and if they can attract some independents, then they'll be in good shape.  I understand the hesitation, but I think they'll be alright.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i never vote for gnr polls cuz i know i like them...i rarely read them cuz i dont give a shit what other people like....and i definately wont spam my own local radio station let alone one across the continent....i agree with buzzsaw and james...we need to see the public reaction to this to guage real interest

i mean i understand that some of you are extremely diehard...but truely it doesnt help the situation...what happense when peopel get bored of emailing every 2 hours for a request? a gigantic flop happens thats what...and like buzz said...imaginary interest doesnt sell albums

i want it to do well i do but we have to let the people make up their minds...and ultimately their minds wont make up mine...but it may determine the fate of this bands financial future

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
faldor wrote:

Obviously there are gonna be people out there that aren't gonna give this song, or any new GNR song any chance.  But MOST GNR fans are fully onboard, and if they can attract some independents, then they'll be in good shape.  I understand the hesitation, but I think they'll be alright.

i said this statement before as well...or somethign similar...the tune is catchy enough and will stick in peoples heeads if they give it a chance...but time will tell

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The ignorance is the thinking that spamming the stations is helping.  When the song drops off the charts tomorrow or the next day, it's airplay is done.  That helps how?

You're assuming this was ALL the work of us GNR fans.  You may be right, but isn't it possible some people actually heard the song today for the first time and liked it and voted themselves.  I mean, a new song by Guns N' Roses is a pretty big deal and I'd like to think that some other people could be excited about it as well.

For the record, I only requested the song once, as it is a station I listen to.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:

Buzzsaw, I think you stated earlier that you can't put much stock in people's initial opinions on the song today.  I would agree with you, but for different reasons.  You seem to think the song was getting favorable reviews right from the bat, and from a majority of GNR forum members.  I'm not gonna deny that I'm sure we all did our part and then some, but I found that the response to the song got stronger throughout the day.  When I first listened to the song at 6 this morning on WAAF, the callers were bashing the song with the typical "it took 15 years for this?".  "Axl can't sing anymore".  etc, etc.  The DJ's were a little unsure of Axl too, but they did say they thought the band sounded really good.  But by the time they played the song for the 3rd time in three hours there were no more negative calls, and the DJ's completely changed their tune and were saying the song was really good.  That goes to show me that after a few listens, if people let the song sink in, it can be appreciated for what it is.

The DJs have to listen to the song over and over.  The general public does not.  If the song has to grow on you, it was the wrong choice to reintroduce a band that has been out of the public eye for 13 years.  The general public is not going to keep listening until they like it.

Board footer