You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

Movies I watched this week...

The Ward- Comes off as a typical ghost story set in an asylum but was worth watching just for the twist. Twist not all that original but I give it kudos for surprising me.

5/10

Psycho 2- Used to watch this a lot when I was a kid. Always loved it and its highly underrated. Not as good as the original obviously but the film is pretty suspenseful. Meg Tilly is a hot piece of ass in this.

Also....

Hidden Text:

I had forgot Meg Tilly gets killed in this until watching it again the other night.

7/10

Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet

Loved it. Went into it with zero expectations but they did a great job with this. Pretty much a typical slasher film but better than most slasher drivel these days. Danielle Harris being in it gives it an extra point. Axlin and other slasher fans here should check it out.

7/10

Prowl- Was shocked by how good this was. Not a huge fan of vampire films but this takes a different approach to the genre. Teens break down and get a ride from a trucker who takes them somewhere they weren't expecting. 16 I highly recommend this.

7/10

High Lane- Foreign horror film a bit similar to Wrong Turn. So much potential wasted here. Love the mountain scenery and going by that alone(and the trip there) makes you think you're in for something special. You're not. 16 The acting is horrific and these people don't know jack shit about mountain climbing to be going on such a journey. It would be like someone who cant swim jumping into the Pacific and deciding to swim to Hawaii. A weak script and terrible cast kill the potential.

I'd love to see a better director redo this with a killer cast.

3/10 and I'm being kind.

I Saw the Devil (2010)--Directed by the guy who did "A Tale of Two Sisters".  This one probably could be the fourth part of Park's Vengeance series.  Stars Min Sik Choi (from Oldboy and Lady Vengeance) and is an extremely bloody film.  Not much character development but that's a minor gripe.  I saw the cut version and that was quite bloody.  James Lofton should enjoy this one.

I have this downloaded on my pc but haven't watched it yet. Might watch it tomorrow night.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I tweeted back with you on that, but yeah Psycho II was solid, and I always thought Psycho IV was majorly underrated.

Psycho III blew major chimp, although I will give Perkins credit for picking out a great cinematographer, and a terrific score by Carter Burwell.

Obviously the original is still in a league of it's own. Hitchcock's original is still my favorite film of all-time. Still love it. I watch it every year on my birthday.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Last film watched:

The Dilemma

Not bad. Film has it's charm, and Ron Howard gives the comedy a bit more touch of drama and more character-driven than the 'quick joke' comedies of today. A bit of a throwback comedy.

Vince Vaughn & Kevin James have great chemistry, and the film keeps you entertained.

Not the greatest film ever made, but a nice watch.

**1/2  stars out of 4 - Decent film.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I tweeted back with you on that, but yeah Psycho II was solid, and I always thought Psycho IV was majorly underrated.

Psycho III blew major chimp, although I will give Perkins credit for picking out a great cinematographer, and a terrific score by Carter Burwell.

Obviously the original is still in a league of it's own. Hitchcock's original is still my favorite film of all-time. Still love it. I watch it every year on my birthday.

Psycho IV is fucking great. It's what Psycho III should have been. Loved how Norman tells the whole story from the beginning. They used to play Psycho IV on the movie channels back in the early 90s. Film gets pretty much zero credit but was a great way to end the series.

Was a downloading motherfucker last night. Downloaded these films....

The Silent House

Blood Junkie

Alone

Awakenings(been ages since watching this)

Uncle Buck(same as above)

Election(same as above)

Shutter(watched this once during my Asian horror fetish a few years ago)

The Departed(FINALLY gonna watch this!!)

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I was figuring it'd be a chick flick. Is it a decent watch Russ? How does it compare to Hangover Part II?

James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Psycho IV is fucking great. It's what Psycho III should have been. Loved how Norman tells the whole story from the beginning. They used to play Psycho IV on the movie channels back in the early 90s. Film gets pretty much zero credit but was a great way to end the series.

Was a downloading motherfucker last night. Downloaded these films....

You know, very rarely, and I mean RARELY do movie franchises get true blue 'series finales' like TV shows do. I really love it when they do. They get that closure, that resolution that any audience, film, TV and sometimes music audiences crave. We all crave it in life.

Some that immediately come to mind is Back To The Future, Star Wars, Smokey and The Bandit, Lethal Weapon... among a few others.

But in the case of horror franchises, usually sequels go on and on and on for such a long period of time as a cash cow, that the more sequels a franchise has, the less likely resolution will be achieved.

But in the case of Psycho, they did it. AND kept their original star. It was so nice to see Perkins finish up what was his legacy in such a great fashion. It was all the more important in time, as as soon as Psycho IV wrapped his heath rapidly declined and within two years he was dead from AIDS. If Psycho IV gets made just a year later, I don't think Perkins could've put as much in that role, especially the action scenes, as he did in 1990.

So important. It was great closure for Psycho fans, and also to see the Norman Bates character, a sympathetic character despite it all, get a happy ending.

As for your other movies, i've been needing to re-watch Awakenings for years. I actually did a paper on that doctor years ago. Uncle Buck is a total classic, and one of my favorites from my childhood. John Candy & John Hughes were gold together. The Departed is good, nice moment for Scorsese later in his career. I've been meaning to re-watch it for years. Haven't seen it since it's release. I remember the entire cast being absolutely fantastic in it.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

I saw X-Men: First Class yesterday. It was damn good, right up there with X2 as the best X-Men movie. Fassbender and McAvoy both gave great performances.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Just went to see Bridesmaids.

FAR better than expected

Yeah I wasn't expecting that movie to be any good either, and I haven't seen it myself yet.  But I've heard nothing but glowing reviews for it.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Movies I watched this week...

High Lane- Foreign horror film a bit similar to Wrong Turn. So much potential wasted here. Love the mountain scenery and going by that alone(and the trip there) makes you think you're in for something special. You're not. 16 The acting is horrific and these people don't know jack shit about mountain climbing to be going on such a journey. It would be like someone who cant swim jumping into the Pacific and deciding to swim to Hawaii. A weak script and terrible cast kill the potential.

I'd love to see a better director redo this with a killer cast.

3/10 and I'm being kind.

I also watched a foreign horror film this week too.  Saw Frontiers which was part of one of the after Dark horrorfest dvd sets.  Mediocre film, imo.  Too much gore and the plot is over the top.  Seems to be the rage in French cinema to produce gory type of horror flicks.  I almost wish that most countries would follow the Asia lead and write interesting horror/psychological films instead of depending on a lot of blood and gore.  Now that I think about it this film kinda reminded me of Severance. 4/10

James Lofton wrote:

This one is actually better than the original Chinese film.  So kudos to Scorcese on that film.

Axlin08 wrote:

Back To The Future

I just bought the bluray set and am interested in how I view the films now as opposed to when I first saw them.  I remember liking the 3rd one the best and finding the second one kind of confusing.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

yeah Psycho II was solid.

And criminally neglected for being the sequel to the Hitchcock film.

A fine little movie by its own right. The novel's a lot of fun too, although it doesn't bear any resemblance to the film beyond the title. A wickedly funny satire by a disenchanted author about the shlock-horror machinery of Hollywood - with practically unfilmable murder set-pieces for its time.

My old screenwriting professor used to say nobody defends the author of Psycho the novel, nobody remembers the awkward 10-minute finale of the film (AFTER Norman is captured), etc. We only recall the shower scene midway - during which the actual Norman/Marion interaction lasts about a minute.

Psycho 2 (both film and novel) is doomed to obscurity in comparison, for all the wrong reasons.

James Lofton wrote:

Election(same as above)

All firmly-handled mainstream movies with solid casts and satisfaction guaranteed. Love Bill Murray.

James Lofton wrote:

Big disappointment. Scorsese sleepwalks through his chores and you can tell how he tries to implement the Little Italy style to Irish mobsters, even down to uninspired medium two-shot framing, which once worked so well for him. The dude is so disconnected from the source material (recycled from the Far East, obviously) that it's not funny.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Apex, did Robert Bloch write Psycho 2, the book?

I do remember Psycho, the novel, being alot more gung ho, and brutal than the film. Bates was more akin to Ed Gein, than Anthony Perkins.

Board footer