You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Best Buy exclusive dramatically limited 1st week sales!

Sky Dog wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

Why would WalMart want to do business with fakeGNR? fakeGNR was lucky to ripoff BestBuy & everyone should be happy with that. WalMart does business with people they know they can make money off & fakeGNR is not a moneymaker. Not when they can land the AC/DC's & Garth Brooks of the world. The REAL heavyhitters in the music business.

Would GNR probably sold a few more albums to the public without the BB exclusive? Probably. Would they ever of made the money they got from BB upfront like they did? Doubtful. So it worked out well for fakeGNR & people should be happy with that.

do you feel better now?:rolleyes:

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

And it still did 261k opening week.

I'm actually seeing this a bit differently after reading that article.

Wal-Mart has over THREE TIMES the stores Best Buy has.

If they'd put CD in Wal-Mart, coupled with WM's promo, it might've did better than Black Ice, if not went instant-platinum, and #1.

I think it's a daydream. If people had been so interested in Axl's version of Guns N' Roses, they would have managed to go to a BB or ordered it online.

that's not true and the info is right in front of us

look at these "mathematics" again while comparing the cd sales in the u.s. to other countries where it wasn't sold at best buy and you have the right perspective.

cd sells 2-4 times more copies at wal mart than at best buy (in the u.s.)
i'd put money on that

MrWonderful
 Rep: 2 

MrWonderful wrote:

I am not sure where I read this, but I remember reading that Axl thought the sales of UYI & II sold a lot less than projected due to Tipper Gore.  Apparently she was the driving force behind the Parental Advisory stickers that started being required in 1990, and Walmart wouldn't sell albums that carried parental advisory stickers.  Axl went on to say that not being able to sell their albums in Walmart dramatically reduced their sales (not word for word obviously).

So, Axl was definitely already aware of the impact that Walmart has on album sales.  Which makes the BB decision that much more curious.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

BB isn't the problem.  Anyone that claims it is isn't fooling anybody else.  Last time I checked, you could still order the album at www.bestbuy.com, so anybody that wanted to buy a copy could do so without ever leaving their house.  Did it hurt sales?  Sure.  Was it the difference in being #1 or #2?  No.  The interest in the music/band did that.  Axl has nobody to blame but himself anyway because he approved whatever decision was made.  He took the quick $$ over the art, which is fine.  His fans have to accept that.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I know in my case i'd rather buy it with debit or Cash cuz using a credit card is not something i prefer to do..especially for like $12

nugdafied wrote:
MrWonderful wrote:

So, Axl was definitely already aware of the impact that Walmart has on album sales.  Which makes the BB decision that much more curious.

The BB offer was a godsend for Axl & Co.. No way was any other place going to give them a deal like BB did. Obviously, if Walmart had made a comparable offer, GNR would've gone that route since it's a bigger retailer. GNR made out like bandits on the BB deal.

Do people on this board really think they would've sold 1.6 million(in the USA) copies at $9 a piece already if it hadn't been a retail exclusive?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
MrWonderful wrote:

I am not sure where I read this, but I remember reading that Axl thought the sales of UYI & II sold a lot less than projected due to Tipper Gore.  Apparently she was the driving force behind the Parental Advisory stickers that started being required in 1990, and Walmart wouldn't sell albums that carried parental advisory stickers.  Axl went on to say that not being able to sell their albums in Walmart dramatically reduced their sales (not word for word obviously).

And lets not forget that the UYI records had alot more controversial stuff than CD does...not to mention that gnr was in hot water with tipper gore anyway cuz of the OIAM song from Lies....now is alot different time than then...i dont even thins that CD has a parental advisory sticker...mine didnt and i bought it at walmart up here in canada...uyoucould be right that axl chose to snub walmart cuz of past experiences but i doubt it

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I know in my case i'd rather buy it with debit or Cash cuz using a credit card is not something i prefer to do..especially for like $12

Then you'd go to BB to get it.  It's really that simple.

Yes, it would have sold more at WalMart.  But Axl chose to go with BB, Axl chose not to promote it, and Axl chose to have the band be what it is.  Axl made all these choices.  Nobody forced it on him.  So no matter what you want to blame for the lack of sales whether it's best buy, the quality of the music, the lack of promotion, the band members, the manager, the record company, etc, it all goes back to Axl making those decisions.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
nugdafied wrote:
MrWonderful wrote:

The BB offer was a godsend for Axl & Co.. No way was any other place going to give them a deal like BB did. Obviously, if Walmart had made a comparable offer, GNR would've gone that route since it's a bigger retailer. GNR made out like bandits on the BB deal.

Do people on this board really think they would've sold 1.6 million(in the USA) copies at $9 a piece already if it hadn't been a retail exclusive?

ask wal mart

i think we're focusing on customer purcahses - we all know the best buy deal was sweet for gnr as far as money goes but maybe not so good as far as commercial success goes

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
nugdafied wrote:
MrWonderful wrote:

He chose the money over the art.  Period.

Board footer