You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Whats the opinion people in your life have on CD?

slashsfro wrote:

I think NR is slightly overrated.  If you've ever heard the demo, the last two minutes of the song kind of wander. Luckily, the slash solos help pull it together and turn it from ok song to good song.  I get what war is saying as some of the synthesizer stuff can get kind of annoying whereas with TIL you can actually feel the raw emotions from Axl's vocals.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

But I think comparing SOD to NR, is a bit WAY out there. SOD is a B-side on it's best day. It might REMIND you of NR, but in no way does it match NR's quality. If anything, i'd put SOD in the same category with tracks like So Fine & Since I Don't Have You.

Ouch, I Wouldn't go that far. Maybe you have the right category but it's definitely at the top of that category. It's not grand but it doesn't have to be to be a great song. It's very catchy and the vocals are amazing. For the record, I usually skip the song but I don't like catchy as I have stated in the past.

As far as NR and TIL: Am I the only one that thinks November Rain is wayyy overrated? I think if they waited til CD to release it people would still be talking about TIL and Sorry as the strongest tracks on this album. To me NR reaches past it's own means and fails where TIL succeeds because it is more down to earth and more natural sounding.

I don't think November Rain is overrated at all.

And as for my earlier statement, I do think SOD is a B-side ballad, on the level of the songs I mentioned, but it's certaintly the best out of a combo of So Fine & SIDHY.

Sky Dog wrote:

I equate SOD to a combo of Yesterdays/Nov Rain.....let's just go with Yesterday's Rain. 16 But, overall, SOD is more on the level of Yesterdays. It certainly isn't as good as Nov Rain overall. I also think it is the only song on the album that sounds like it could have been on UYI.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i think twat sounds like illusion material also

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:

i think twat sounds like illusion material also

TWAT has too much electronica to be a real UYI track. I think Street of Dreams and This I Love are typical UYI-era tracks, but even IRS and a shorter CITR (that's the Yesterdays of CD for me) could have been there.

Sky Dog wrote:

Mikka, and the TWAT rhythm guitars on the first half of the song are very stiff and industrial-definitely not Izzy/Slash type riffs. This I Love could be a UYI song, but it is too "lush" with the real strings and harps. Also, there are no guitars for most of the song.....Slash wouldn't have that! lol But, boy, Slash could have nailed a solo on that track. Finck does a decent job, but that is right up Slash's alley. IRS, TWAT, and CITR just have too much electronic beats and stuff to be UYI tracks.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I think TWAT is the most classic-GN'R song on the album.

I know i've said it before, but I stand by it... it sounds like the little brother of Estranged.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I know i've said it before, but I stand by it... it sounds like the little brother of Estranged.

Yeah, the Little Retarded Down Syndrome brother.

That song is nowhere near the quality of Estranged.

Estranged is a masterpiece in every since of the word.

TWAT has laughable lyrics surrounded by great solos and an awesome outro

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Missed this while I was in Florida.

WTF were you doing in Florida?
While I'm here in Minnesota shoveling my driveway every day.

I was sitting by the pool and enjoying Christmas.  Ft Lauderdale is a good place to have relatives.  I don't miss the snow a bit.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
D-Machine wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yeah, the Little Retarded Down Syndrome brother.

That song is nowhere near the quality of Estranged.

Estranged is a masterpiece in every since of the word.

TWAT has laughable lyrics surrounded by great solos and an awesome outro

TWAT lyrics are very good.

I'm sorry, but I simply don't buy the "weak lyrics" argument. If TWAT was sitting on UYI 2, people would clamour about how it was one of the best written songs by Axl.

But then those same people sit back and talk up "Don't Damn Me", which is one of the most cornball lyrically written GN'R songs of all time, that I can't help but to burst out in laughter, everytime I hear it. Bret Michaels could write "Don't Damn Me".

Estranged is a masterpiece... and so is TWAT.

Board footer