You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Axl Rose Speaks to Billboard

Sky Dog wrote:

Slash will always be my boy, but Kushner and the rest of VR just aren't my cup of tea-at all...doesn't mean I 'm right or wrong-just my opinion. I personally think Riad and Scraped rock pretty fuckin hard....... to each his own. The original band was such a mixed bag of influences that it is to be expected that the fanbase will have all types of personalties who were more in to one aspect of the group than another. It is painfully obvious now as battle lines have been clearly drawn out.:peace:

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
madagas wrote:

Slash will always be my boy, but Kushner and the rest of VR just aren't my cup of tea-at all. Doesn't mean I 'm right or wrong-just my opinion. I personally think Riad and Scraped rock pretty fuckin hard. To each his own.

True, and sorry for posting this and making the thread go off topic.  I know better than that.  Slash rocked that song hard, I just don't see Finck or Bumble being able to "rock" like that.  Imagine Axl on that tune.  And Duff's tone, wow, its so distinctive and powerful.  His intro playing build up sounded badass.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
madagas wrote:

Slash will always be my boy, but Kushner and the rest of VR just aren't my cup of tea-at all...doesn't mean I 'm right or wrong-just my opinion. I personally think Riad and Scraped rock pretty fuckin hard....... to each his own. The original band was such a mixed bag of influences that it is to be expected that the fanbase will have all types of personalties who were more in to one aspect of the group than another. It is painfully obvious now.:peace:

That is why the appetite lineup is with out question one of the finest bands ever created.  They were truly amazing.  And they were a real "band".

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

If CD is what the future of GNR is, I am not "excited".  VR has a shot at clean start, depending on the singer....  So I am excited at the possible potential!

Not to continue the VR vs. GNR debate, but since it's already in process.  I'm one of the few who's not that excited about the future of VR without Weiland.  I liked STP and think he's a very good frontman.  From all the guys I've heard rumored to be in the running, I am less than impressed and completely unexcited.  But I'll certainly give them a shot.  So chalk me up for liking old GNR, new GNR, STP, old VR, and we'll see about new VR.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

If CD is what the future of GNR is, I am not "excited".  VR has a shot at clean start, depending on the singer....  So I am excited at the possible potential!

Not to continue the VR vs. GNR debate, but since it's already in process.  I'm one of the few who's not that excited about the future of VR without Weiland.  I liked STP and think he's a very good frontman.  From all the guys I've heard rumored to be in the running, I am less than impressed and completely unexcited.  But I'll certainly give them a shot.  So chalk me up for liking old GNR, new GNR, STP, old VR, and we'll see about new VR.

ha, that is a funny post.  I like STP too..  Hell, I too like many songs by VR with Scott.  But if they can get a true hard rock guy, they could be AWESOME!  GNR needs a true hard rock lead player...  I really wish he got Zakk years ago.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Slither is better than any of CD's uninspired and tired rockers. Guess it's time to be honest.

Being honest about your own taste in music is pretty important. Good for you that you found out. 22

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Honestly, I can only stomach one VR song. Set Me Free. And, since we're all being honest. I got over Slash's blues-rock obsession about 15 years ago. He's so good, I'd like to see him try his hand at something that challenges not only himself, but his fans. I have a feeling he's not up to challenges though. He's in his comfort zone.

There, I feel better now.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

The thing I like about Slither that I don't find in GNR rockers is that build up

where VR use Bass, and Guitar and drums to build a song to an explosion

GNR now use special effects, and samples and synths etc.

I am more of a rock guy, so I like Slither better than the GNR rock stuff.

What people don't get is, by saying I like Contraband better, that isn't in anyway saying Chinese Democracy sucks. I just really hold Contraband in high regards. That CD stayed in my CD player for over a year and a half and IS STILL my go to running CD which just keeps u going and going and going when u have lots of miles to log.

CD for me, is so computerized etc, that a lot of the balls are just ripped out of it.

that isn't to say it isn't a fine album, but for this stage in my life, I am more about good time, kick ass rock n roll.

now if I had CD in 2002 back when my life was at rock bottom, those ballads and stuff would've meant way more to me than they do now.

For my money though, u just can't beat the groove, intensity and power of Sucker Train, Do it for the kids, Slither, Dirty Little Thing, Headspace and Set Me Free

I also like Fall To Pieces, You Got No Right and Loving the Alien better than the GNR ballads.

once again, this isn't saying CD sucks, but Contraband is a very special album to me and one of my favorite rock cd's ever.

so if i rate contraband a 9.5, CD can still be an 8.5 which is still great, just below contraband.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Honestly, I can only stomach one VR song. Set Me Free. And, since we're all being honest. I got over Slash's blues-rock obsession about 15 years ago. He's so good, I'd like to see him try his hand at something that challenges not only himself, but his fans. I have a feeling he's not up to challenges though. He's in his comfort zone.

I like this post and I do agree with u that Slash does seem to be in a comfort zone and not really to the task of trying to really go all out and work hard.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
D-Machine wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I like this post and I do agree with u that Slash does seem to be in a comfort zone and not really to the task of trying to really go all out and work hard.

Serial Killer and Vocalise are two examples of him leaving the comfort zone.  Vocalise is a jazz blues fusion piece that Finck would struggle to pull of.  Also I would say his Spanish style came out on Double Talkin Jive and on that Martha Sanchez song for Curled or whatever.  He is not a one trick pony.

Board footer