You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Former GN'R Manager Alan Niven Counters Axl's Claims

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

If a guitar player is covering the original guitarist work, they cannot be BETTER cause they are playing music created by someone else.

So for someone to say those guys were better than Slash before CD came out is just lame and ridiculous.

Now, since CD is out, u can argue anything u want to argue. but I thought it was retarded for people to make those claims based on how guys covered his stuff.

Untrue. Many covers surpass their originals, and although i'd normally agree with you, there's quite a few people that would argue that GNR's Live and Let Die, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, and Sympathy For The Devil surpass their originals. Alot of people like those songs.

they changed those songs drastically, with the sligh exception of Sympathy. Slash even wrote those new solos for KOHD.

A cover band's player can be more technical than the guy who originally wrote the song, but if he play the stuff ote by note and doesn't create anything new, than no, no way in hell he's the better guitarist. Muisc is art and it's more about the creation than copying other's ideas. I bet some painters today can make two Mona Lisas a day, but Leonardo is superior to them by far.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I bet some painters today can make two Mona Lisas a day, but Leonardo is superior to them by far

Painting is not a live-performance sport dude.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

It can be. Anyway, I hope you see my point.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

If a guitar player is covering the original guitarist work, they cannot be BETTER cause they are playing music created by someone else.

So for someone to say those guys were better than Slash before CD came out is just lame and ridiculous.

Now, since CD is out, u can argue anything u want to argue. but I thought it was retarded for people to make those claims based on how guys covered his stuff.

Untrue. Many covers surpass their originals, and although i'd normally agree with you, there's quite a few people that would argue that GNR's Live and Let Die, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, and Sympathy For The Devil surpass their originals. Alot of people like those songs.

Axlin, I just lost alot of respect for you as a music fan.  To say that GNR did a better version of SFTD than the Stones is a sacrilege.  Come on man!  I liked GNR's version but to say it is better than the Stones.  You should be punished!  19

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Re-read the post. I never said those versions were better, at all. I just said alot of people do think that.

McCartney's LALD is better than GNR's
Stones Devil is better than GNR's
Most KOHD's are better than GNR's, with the exception of the Freddie Mercury '92 performance by GN'R, which is the best the song ever sounded - by any artist.

Oh, and by the way Mikka. I got your point, and they were good points at that too.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Exactly dude

GNR's KOHD version may be better, but that is like saying Axl is a better lyricist because he sang the song better.

NO

Same with a guitar player.

Riffs, solo's etc are no different than writing brilliant lyrics. Other people can sing those better but that doesn't make them better.

Does that make any sense?

PERFECT EXAMPLE ALERT:

I absolutely love KISS

If u ever listen to Kiss Alive III, I think Bruce Kulick's solos are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than what Ace did on the albums especially Creatures Of The Night

BUT

u would be a fool to say Bruce is a better guitarist than Ace.

Bruce just built on what Ace already CREATED

Its like people don't grasp or come close to realizing how genius and HARD it is to create music from scratch. To come up with that SCOM riff and solos, that WTTJ riff, those NR solos.

There are only a handful of guitarist who have written riffs on that level BUT YET people on here think cause someone can cover that, that makes them better.

its just nonsense.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The '91 version of KOHD was awful. The '02 GNR version was fantastic.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

GIVE ME SOME REGGAE!!!!!!!!!

Sky Dog wrote:

Dylan's KOHD will always be the pinnacle...a perfect song. Sympathy for the Devil is a perfect Rolling Stones song.....both studio recorded Gnr versions suck compared to the originals. I personally don't mind Gnr's versions but to say they are close to Dylan and the Stones is insane.

a cool version with alt lyrics by Dylan....rough quality but the chick playing the fiddle is hot. 16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHJBOOEk … 46&index=2

JesseRose
 Rep: -1 

JesseRose wrote:

I say every song mentioned, with hair of the dog up there too, are superior to the originals. GNR rocked them on a whole new level.

But the originals deserve credit too.

All in all I'll finish up with the same old "GNR ROCKS!" lol

Board footer