You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Former GN'R Manager Alan Niven Counters Axl's Claims

buzzsaw wrote:

Izzy and Slash had in my opinion the greatest interaction between a lead and rhythm guitarist.  Go listen to the beginning of Locomotive one speaker at a time, then go listen to any VR song.  If you don't think Izzy played a key role, you're wrong.  He may not have played the only role, but he was as key as anyone in getting the AFD sound that made GnR famous.  The guitars played off each other - in many instances not playing the same riff, but playing similar riffs that compliment each other.

I love Slash, but give Izzy his due.  Slash has never been able to have that same relationship with a rhythm guitarist - Gilby was close, but he was replicating Izzy's role.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Izzy and Slash had in my opinion the greatest interaction between a lead and rhythm guitarist.  Go listen to the beginning of Locomotive one speaker at a time, then go listen to any VR song.  If you don't think Izzy played a key role, you're wrong.  He may not have played the only role, but he was as key as anyone in getting the AFD sound that made GnR famous.  The guitars played off each other - in many instances not playing the same riff, but playing similar riffs that compliment each other.

I love Slash, but give Izzy his due.  Slash has never been able to have that same relationship with a rhythm guitarist - Gilby was close, but he was replicating Izzy's role.

Yeah, it was like their own version of 'the ancient art of weaving.'

Now Slash just plays straightforward rock which is nice, but gets old after awhile.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i'm not taking anything away from anybody....i just dunno why does everything have to try and discredit one of the orig members? i cant beleive on a gnr board i need to defend Slash's guitar abilities

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:

izzy's rythm work helped make slash's solos special

Good for you. Izzy's rhythm is awesome also in SCOM, NR, Estranged, Civil War or Locomotive.

I wonder if some of the GN'R fans have ever heard a GN'R song.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Axlin, please elaborote which famous GN'R riffs and solos were written by Izzy without Slash. Besides YCBM.

back of bitch

Izzy didn't write a note in that song. Paul Tobias did.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I agree mostly, but the bolded part is wrong. Izzy does not play on Locomotive. Slash did all the guitars.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Axlin, please elaborote which famous GN'R riffs and solos were written by Izzy without Slash. Besides YCBM.

back of bitch

Izzy didn't write a note in that song. Paul Tobias did.

paul tobias wrote a note in that song?

hmmm
perhaps there were more notes written by others since there are several notes in the song and paul tobias only wrote one.

yes, i'm sure of it.

i think izzy wrote the intro solo. they were jamming the song back in '86 (after it was written) and it had no intro solo at that point - the final version does. i also remember hearing in an interview that bob was izzy's only solo on uy1.

i wonder what note paul wrote though.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

if you look at the credits its credited to (Huge, Rose)

the song is played by

Axl Rose: Vocals
Slash: Lead Guitar, Rhythm Guitar, Backing Vocals
Izzy Stradlin: Rhythm Guitar, Lead Guitar
Duff McKagan: Bass Guitar, Backing Vocals
Matt Sorum: Drums

so the lyrics and chord progression was by axl and paul....the UYI band fleshed it out into an actual song...its not that hard of a concept to understand

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

you are correct, neemo, but we were debating riffs and solos.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
war wrote:

you are correct, neemo, but we were debating riffs and solos.

right...there are really no riffs in BoB...the solos are done by izzy and slash...cuz they are lead guitarists on the track...but they get no writing credits cuz they didnt come up with the basic song structure

Board footer