You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

Re: DJ Ashba First Impressions

mickronson wrote:

rehearsals, as in , AFD here we come again

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Somewhere between indifferent and good.  I love what Robin did on CD but DJ will probably handle the old Guns stuff better than Robin and these guys are all more than capable of playing his stuff on CD

The only guitarist move at this point that would get me overly excited is the return of Bucket which is never going to happen.  To me Ron and Fortus are good enough on their own to handle the guitar duties and both better players than Robin in a live setting although Robin has a certain charisma and mojo on stage that is very cool in person.  Ashba will fit in fine, he's certainly not going to hurt the live performance any, he can play and loves GnR

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

James Lofton wrote:

I'm indifferent to it all. He can hire Jim Nabors or even dig up the corpse of Boss Hogg for all I care. He wasted the potential of the best lineup he had, so it doesn't really matter anymore who he picks to tour. We already know its not gonna sound like the album, so just let him pick whoever he wants.

I'm just hoping for more of that 2001-02 material to be released at some point.

The 2002 lineup was a beast.  I said this a while ago but I think that if Bucket had come aboard in 1997 instead of 2000 things would've turned out much differently.  I think it's pretty apparent that Robin just didn't have the chops as a player or writer to be "The Man" in GnR, although as a part of the supporting cast he could be a great contributor

The dynamics of the band, when Robin rejoined after Bucket had joined, were probably pretty weird.  Buckethead is 20 times the guitarist Robin is but they had to share the co-lead guitarist role

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

My cousin did go to school with him.  She sent me a message on Facebook before I even got a chance to ask her because she knows I'm a huge fan (or at least I was).

you still are. don't lie. smile

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:

The only guitarist move at this point that would get me overly excited is the return of Bucket which is never going to happen.

Ditto.  What "could have been" is REALLY what pisses me off.  How do you fuck up the lineup that fell in Axl's hands?

I actually like the album and think it is underrated for the most part but the drama that has surrounded this whole thing has been nothing short of quicksand.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If he could fuck up the AFD/UYI lineups, I think it's safe to assume he could fuck up any lineup.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

If he could fuck up the AFD/UYI lineups, I think it's safe to assume he could fuck up any lineup.

16  Kinda hard to argue with that one.

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:

i don't think he's fucked anything up. not all people are compatible.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Paxcow wrote:

i don't think he's fucked anything up. not all people are compatible.

Apparently nobody is compatible with Axl as a peer, only the bottom feeders that leech from him.  But it's not his fault.  wink

axlgod
 Rep: 16 

axlgod wrote:

my love for this band is quickly vanishing.
buckethead leaving crushed me, big time. the replacements are just not good enough. i was still holding out for big b to return.

Board footer