You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Eddie Trunk: What's Up With Guns N Roses?

Olorin wrote:

Axl could be ill for all we know.  hmm 

They can easily have a successful tour, much smaller, more inconspicuous bands seem to manage just fine. Selling out stadiums across the world is never gonna happen though, wouldnt happen for a reunion either.
I'm not fretting about a tour or anything anymore, I dont expect to see GN'R back in the UK this year, but it might happen next year.
Shows in North or South America this year wouldnt mean anything to me, other than give me hope I might see them live once more.
A Scottish show on Hogmanay this year would be my dream come true though, fuck that Las Vegas pish 9

I was kinda hoping for a few videos by now and more interviews, especially a band interview. A public show of unity is long overdue. Its weird that the post Chinese Democracy interviews from band members have all come seperately, mabye that tells a story. Brain and Tommy gave the best interviews yet, I really want to get a copy of those magazines but they are US only as far as I know.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

A reunion would sell out stadiums across the US in a day...that is if it were to happen anytime soon.  Americans love reunion tours.  We don't tend to love fake bands though.

Sorry mad - hard to tell what you're laughing at sometimes.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

A reunion would sell out stadiums across the US in a day...

I don't even know if that's the case anymore.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Olorin wrote:

A Scottish show on Hogmanay this year would be my dream come true though, fuck that Las Vegas pish 9

If it was announced GNR were gonna play the street party in Edinburgh I would buy tickets instantly. Won't happen though. Wrong kinda band for that gig.

Sky Dog wrote:

A reunion would sell out large arenas for sure (15,000 to 22,000) in the US...personally, if I'm Irving Azoff I try to sell Axl on a Gnr extravaganza show....a travelling Gnr circus. New band plays Chinese and their own covers for an hour, then intermission and out comes the classic lineup. New Gnr opens for old Gnr...total show clocks in around 3 hours and you don't need in lame ass opening acts. If you wanted someone before new Gnr, then use some of the "family" members and let them play their solo material. 9 Welcome to Fantasy Island. 19

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Mabye not the street party but a proper indoor show, with lots of whisky and shortbread.
They played Sweet Child O Mine at the George Square party a few years back, it went down a storm, the whole place was bouncing.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Mabye not the street party but a proper indoor show, with lots of whisky and shortbread.
They played Sweet Child O Mine at the George Square party a few years back, it went down a storm, the whole place was bouncing.

When was that?

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

2001, 2002 or 2003. It was the year all the street parties were cancelled because of the storms, except Glasgow. Actually they announced Edinburgh and Aberdeen had been cancelled and this was the only one still going, this got a huge cheer, and Sweet Child came on. The dj played it, not the band showed up lol!! The Proclaimers and Snow Patrol were playing that night.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

LOL.  They have a lineup intact?  Are you serious?  They released an album that doesn't have the 2 most important contributors not named Axl in the band any more.  The "intact" lineup has never played a show together.  What they have is a bunch of contractors (hopefully) ready to do their best to parade around as GnR if Axl ever decides he wants to do that.

They are dead.  The world isn't interested.  If they did a theatre tour announcing in advance that they were ONLY playing CD songs, they would never sellout a single show (without doing their ticket giveawys and then claiming a sellout) and half of those that showed up would leave soon after they figured out they really weren't going to play any of the songs they wanted to hear. 

Does that mean they can't make music and go on aborted tours every few years?  No.  But that doesn't mean the band is alive.  It's over and the sooner you accept that, the happier you're going to be.  No band that was as big as GnR has ever survived this kind of turnover and I have no idea why ANYBODY would think they were going to.  I don't think there's any joy that the band is dead, but most of us aren't clinging to false hope from a man that has done nothing other than let us down for the past 16 years.

GnR = Axl and Slash.  It's not fair, it's not right, but that's what it is.

Damn fine post. I actually wasn't sold on that last line until late 2008.

Eventually you have to call it what it is. And it's not about them being 'big' again. It's business. It's about managers, and promoters, and companies not wanting to do business with a brand name, a franchise, that has been deemed, or would be deemed, unprofitable.

I know it's overstated, but that brick wall will be hit, now, or very soon. He's going to be told we do business with the old band, or we don't do business at all.

And in my opinion, Axl will be too proud, and will run up to his mansion, hole up in it for the rest of his life, refuse reuniting, and simply fade away and die one day. And if that's what he wants to do - fine. I don't care.

What I care about is history, and a bunch of people not sitting around talking Guns N' Roses, about a band that died in 1993, and holding on to this absurd idea that somehow, Axl's gonna reform his 95th version of GN'R, and make a comeback, and that CD is going to be re-released with the Better video, then it'll really take off! This isn't even counting the absolute nutty people on the other boards, who compare the 'grower' that was AFD to the situation with CD. It's amazing what rationalization will do to some people, and like faldor said, it's not just in the GN'R world. It's everywhere. I've seen and read absurd things in other places too. I've been on Miami Vice fan boards, where the fans there literally still think Don Johnson is a big movie star.

That's what I see the GN'R fanbase, turning into. They've become so jaded, that they see this guy through 1991 glasses, like he sees himself, and they're loosing their grip on reality. I feel bad for them. hmm

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
Olorin wrote:

2001, 2002 or 2003. It was the year all the street parties were cancelled because of the storms, except Glasgow. Actually they announced Edinburgh and Aberdeen had been cancelled and this was the only one still going, this got a huge cheer, and Sweet Child came on. The dj played it, not the band showed up lol!! The Proclaimers and Snow Patrol were playing that night.

AHHHHHH

That makes more sense. I thought you meant GNR played.

Board footer