You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

GTA: Chinatown Wars was released on the Nintendo DS a few months back.

Despite getting favorable reviews among fans and critics, it was a commercial flop.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

GTA: Chinatown Wars was released on the Nintendo DS a few months back.

Despite getting favorable reviews among fans and critics, it was a commercial flop.

Favourable reviews is an understatement. It was reviewed as the best game on the platform.

Axl S wrote:

Favourable reviews is an understatement.

I know. Sorry.

Among the reviews is a 10/10 from Eurogamer and a 5/5 from GamePro. It currently is the best reviewed game on the Nintendo DS with a score of 94% positive.

It shows that just because it's a Grand Theft Auto game it won't automatically sell and if it's good or not doesn't really make any difference.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I want to use that controller to beat hookers, and stab cops. That's what gaming is all about.

That's just simple unimaginative boring trash. I like the Grand Theft Auto games but personally I don't see what's so good about them. They're put up on a pedastal for a game that has an average story, average shooting controls and a simplistic and average combat system. I'll admit recreating NYC in the latest one was impressive but nothing about the game was particularly fresh, interesting or different. It was basically more of the same and it doesn't really take a great mind to come up with the idea of run around a city shoot strangers and kill hookers. To come up with a whole new imaginary world i.e. Halo, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Ratchet and Clank, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, Sonic and many more is a whole lot more impressive and interesting to me.

P.S. I know MGS and Resident Evil are technically set in the real world but a whole lot more creativity went into those games than GTA.

I like the sandbox elements of the GTA games. Most games imo suffer from you being stuck doing what they tell you to do and going where they make you go. To have a city, albeit an often small and unremarkable city (although GTA's are constantly improving their settings) totally open is really fun.

My favorite super-hero game was Spider-Man 2 because you could go all across Manhattan if you felt like it, occasionally stopping a small time mugger or doing mini-missions.

Sand box games are fun, especially if you can mix some sort of storyline into it. GTA found a good balance and not many other games are hitting that niche.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I like the sandbox elements of the GTA games. Most games imo suffer from you being stuck doing what they tell you to do and going where they make you go. To have a city, albeit an often small and unremarkable city (although GTA's are constantly improving their settings) totally open is really fun.

My favorite super-hero game was Spider-Man 2 because you could go all across Manhattan if you felt like it, occasionally stopping a small time mugger or doing mini-missions.

Sand box games are fun, especially if you can mix some sort of storyline into it. GTA found a good balance and not many other games are hitting that niche.

My main problems with the GTA games is after a while you run out of things to do in the city and with the story being incredibly boring it takes a lot of effort to progress to a new area just so you can explore it. The sandbox element is fun but I also enjoy having a direct line to follow with an interesting story and challenging gameplay where I can go back and replay my favourite parts again to enjoy the challenge. Saints Row 2 got the free-roaming sandbox style gameplay right. It's got the fantastic GTA sandbox freeroaming world but with a lot more things to do and it's a lot more fun, unlike GTA where I can go and play imaginary bowling with my cousin Roman... how fun hmm

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I've loved all the GTA games ive played (III, Vice City, San Andreas, Vice City Stories) and the stories are great as well, the only time i find the game to lose its appeal is to do some of the side stuff....btu all in all i find the main storylines are ace...It sucks that Wii doesnt have them, but hey what can ya do, programming for Wii is totally different then the other consoles and the computer, or so i've read, its pprolly hell to program those GTA games once...let alone twice

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I've loved all the GTA games ive played (III, Vice City, San Andreas, Vice City Stories) and the stories are great as well, the only time i find the game to lose its appeal is to do some of the side stuff....btu all in all i find the main storylines are ace...It sucks that Wii doesnt have them, but hey what can ya do, programming for Wii is totally different then the other consoles and the computer, or so i've read, its pprolly hell to program those GTA games once...let alone twice

Actually programming for the Wii is the easiest of the bunch since it's very similiar to Gamecube programming which almost all development studios are already used to. Making a PS2 level GTA for the Wii would be quite easily doable. A lot easier than one on the Xbox 360 or PS3.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I love riling up gamers.

Just throw my little hand grenade in, and grab some popcorn.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i'm talking motion controls..you know how many actions they'd have to program?

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i'm talking motion controls..you know how many actions they'd have to program?

Its' easy. Each motion represents a button. A swing to left= B, swing to right = A. Swing up= Y Swing Down= X. It's fairly simple.

Board footer