You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: 10 Unluckiest Musicians in Rock History

James wrote:

Ever wondered what would have happened if you’d made a different choice, here or there? Now, imagine you helped form a band, and you stuck with them through the hard times. You practiced in someone’s mom’s basement when nobody was home. You played some teenager’s birthday party, and got booed. Eventually, you decide “screw this” and you quit (or worse, got kicked out). “Whatever,” you think to yourself. “I’m gonna form another band. You’ll see!” Then, you have to sit and watch as the band that you’re no longer in becomes huge. We’re talking crazy huge, selling millions and millions of albums.

That’s exactly what it’s like for the guys on this list. Almost famous! Then again, if some of these bands hadn’t kicked these guys out, they might have sucked forever. Take a look at all the lost dreams we’ve collected. They’re 10 Of The Unluckiest Musicians In Rock History.

10. Dave Mustaine, original guitarist for Metallica
This one had a mostly happy ending, since Dave went on to form his own metal band, Megadeth. He enjoyed quite a bit of success on his own. We have to ask, why the creepy therapy sessions?

9. Tracii Guns, original guitarist for Guns n’ Roses
Tracii got replaced by Slash, after not showing up for a rehearsal. Tracii formed another band, L.A. Guns, but what’d skipping that practice cost him? Over 99 million album sales.

8. Chuck Mosley, the original singer of Faith No More
It’s true. Mike Patton was not the original singer of Faith No More. It was this guy, Chuck Mosley, who left the band because of “creative differences.” Chuck went on to front Bad Brains when H.R. left the band.  Bad Brains almost immediately broke up. Way to screw things up wherever you go, Chuck!

7. The Fourth Backstreet Boy
Backstreet had a revolving door going for a while there, including this guy, Burk Parsons. He quit to become a minister. We’d lose our religion to sell 100 million albums. OK, OK we’d lose our religion just to sell one album.

6. Dave Evans, the original singer of AC/DC
Dave got a small taste of success, before they kicked him out of the band and replaced him with a guy you may have heard of, named Bon Scott. Dave went on to front such legendary acts as The Hot Cockerels.

5. All the drummers for Nirvana not named Dave Grohl
Nirvana had no fewer than 73 different drummers, before Dave Grohl joined in 1990. Dave cruises in right before they get huge, and now he’s the only one with a career.

4. Ian Stewart, original member of The Rolling Stones
Now that’s cold. Ian and Brian Jones co-founded the band.  Ian was kicked out a year later when they decided he just wasn’t teen idol material. Unfortunately for Ian (see below), they were probably right. They did keep him around as their road manager, and to play some keyboards now and again, though, so it wasn’t a total loss.

3. Glen Matlock, original bassist of The Sex Pistols
Bummer, Glen. You co-wrote many of the Sex Pistols songs. You even recorded the album. They booted you out because you “liked The Beatles,” and they replace you with some kid that barely even knew how to play the bass. That kid would go on to become synonymous with punk rock, while you got an asterisk. *Original bassist of the Sex Pistols.

2. Syd Barrett, the original singer of Pink Floyd
Syd created Pink Floyd, and subsequently became a total recluse and possibly schizophrenic. Which, as it turns out is exactly the wrong way to get people to leave you alone. Pink Floyd did a tribute to him (”Wish You Were Here”), there were books written about him and documentaries were made. Syd couldn’t even figure out how to quit a band right, and get people to leave him alone.

1. Pete Best, the original drummer of the Beatles
Pete is so famous for being almost famous, that he’s actually famous. Right before Beatlemania happened, Pete got booted, with no explanation, whatsoever. It’s the ultimate diss by the ultimate band. Hey, look on the bright side. It could have been you that married Yoko.

http://funkjelly.com/2009/08/18/10-unlu … k-history/

-----------------------------------------

How in the fuck could they not list Jason Everman? Was in Nirvana before they got huge, and was  Yamamoto's touring replacement in Soundgarden until Cornell realized he had no talent and hired Shepard.

Guy was in the two biggest grunge bands before grunge exploded. I'm surprised Pearl Jam didn't hire him for a nanosecond just for shits and giggles.

9. Tracii Guns, original guitarist for Guns n’ Roses
Tracii got replaced by Slash, after not showing up for a rehearsal. Tracii formed another band, L.A. Guns, but what’d skipping that practice cost him? Over 99 million album sales.

That album does nothing without Slash. Jungle and SCOM made GNR the phenomenon that they were, along with the band's antics, none of which exist without Slash.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

How in the fuck could they not list Jason Everman?

Haha, James, as soon as I read the first name in the list I thought "Jason Everman HAS to be on this" before I even read your comments. Yeah, he could almost be quoted as The Godfather of Grunge, or the Idiot who was in Nirvana & Soundgarden. Still has to be a pretty cool lifestyle he lead. I saw footage of Nirvana in Philly in 89 in some small bar on youtube, and he's in it. I read up on him in wiki & pretty interesting, it says he lived in AZ for a while & is enrolled at Columbia now as a philosophy major or something.

Anyway, I think PJ's drummers are more unlucky/regretful than Nirvana's. Nirvana really only had one before Grohl (Chad Channing I think), and he just wasn't that good. Grohl did alot for Nevermind, esp Teen Spirit. PJ had like 5 drummers, one guy recorded Ten, then another guy (who was in their videos) left after their first small tour to join SNL. Then they had Abbruzzese for a few years.

Similar note, I'm pretty sure the guy in RHCP's Under The Bridge video is not John Frusciante, but a guy Arik, who replaced him for only a couple months on tour. He just happened to be in during the videos.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The funny thing is, it's these lists that are the reason Dave Mustaine goes to therapy.

Even with Megadeth, they're NEVER gonna let him live down the Metallica thing.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

As big a loss to Metallica as Dave was, it was worth it for Peace Sells, Rust In Peace and Countdown.

smeagol2124
 Rep: 0 

smeagol2124 wrote:

I'm surprised Terry Reid didn't get mentioned.  He turned down Jimmy Page when Mr. Page wanted to start a new group after the Yardbirds....Yup Led Zeppelin.  If you've never heard Mr. Reid, watch the end credits to The Devil's Rejects....That song of his there is one of my all time favorites.

maguire22
 Rep: 11 

maguire22 wrote:

Chuck M era FNM is aging better than The Real Thing and some Mike Patton stuff, and I respect patton to the end. Just a comment - Chuck's "Spirit"? The dog's furry swingers to this day! 22

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

You're kidding right? If anything sounds "of the times" it's Mosely-FNM. The songs are pretty much 80's pop-punk. Public Image Ltd. with Johnny Rotten comes to mind when I think that era.

The Real Thing still sounds incredibly modern. It pretty much sculpted how nu-metal was done, which is still a popular format, or at least variations of it are.

maguire22
 Rep: 11 

maguire22 wrote:

Agree to disagree I guess - Introduce Yrself aged better to my ears than Real thing, not to say i don't love both, and I do agree The Real Thing sculpted nu-metal.

Maybe I just loved it too much and got burned out. cool

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Theres some good shit on IY, and I love hearing Crab Song when patton sings it.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
maguire22 wrote:

Agree to disagree I guess - Introduce Yrself aged better to my ears than Real thing, not to say i don't love both, and I do agree The Real Thing sculpted nu-metal.

Maybe I just loved it too much and got burned out. cool

I personally feel Album of the Year is vastly underrated.

Board footer