You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

James wrote:

Mountains out of molehills. NFL teams have been cheating for decades, and will continue to cheat in various capacities until the demise of mankind. Its no big deal. Its part of the game. Just because a team is about to shatter just about every record is it now getting the spotlight.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Neemo wrote:

Yeah, you're right, the Pats need to cheat to win against the Jets.....whatever makes you sleep at night tongue 16

If they didn't need to cheat, why did they? Mangini had outsmarted Belicheck before... doesn't mean I think the Pats will lose now though.

Steve Fairchild, offensive coordinator for the Bills, accepted the head coaching position at Colorado State. No skin off my back. He sucked. 30th or 31st or 32nd in every offensive category this year, and his playcalling abilities were comparable to... I don't know what would've called worse plays. One of the best WRs in the NFL and yet Fairchild doesn't use him. Evans should be a pro-bowler every year, but his stats are low because Fairchild doesn't let JP or Trent throw a 15 yard route. Hopefully we'll get someone a little more aggressive for next season.

James

James wrote:

Power rankings are in......

'¢    1. Patriots (13-0)
'¢    2. Cowboys (12-1)
'¢    3. Colts (11-2)
'¢    4. Packers (11-2)
'¢    5. Steelers (9-4)
'¢    6. Jaguars (9-4)
'¢    7. Seahawks (9-4)
'¢    8. Chargers (8-5)
'¢    9. Bucs (8-5)
'¢    10. Giants (9-4)
'¢    11. Vikings (7-6)
'¢    12. Browns (8-5)

13. TENNESSEE (7-6, previous rank: 13) - Rob 'My' Bironas for team MVP: He leads the NFL in kickoff distance (67.9 yards per attempt) and is 9-of-11 from 40+ on field goals.

14. BUFFALO (7-6, previous rank: 16) - Before the Week 6 bye, WR Lee Evans averaged 22.6 yards per game even though he was a full-time starter. Since the bye, he's averaged 81.9 yards per game, and is 232 away from a 1,000-yard season.

15. NEW ORLEANS (6-7, previous rank: 18) - In six wins, Drew Brees has thrown 17 TDs and just two INTs; in seven losses, he's thrown 6 TDs and 13 INTs. But he's completed at least 60 percent of his passes in all but one game.

16. ARIZONA (6-7, previous rank: 14) - Kurt Warner's passer rating is decent (85.9), but 17 turnovers in eight starts is an unacceptable number.

17. WASHINGTON (6-7, previous rank: 17) - Mirror images: Skins' offense averages 5.0 yards per play, 3.8 yards per run. Defense allows 5.0 yards per play, 3.8 yards per run.

18. HOUSTON (6-7, previous rank: 19) - 'Kaptain' Kris Brown for team MVP: he's is 11-of-13 from 40+ this season on field goals, including 5-of-5 from 50-plus.

19. PHILADELPHIA (5-8, previous rank: 15) - Brian Westbrook averages a robust 5.0 yards per carry this year on "slow" grass, 3.8 yards per carry on "fast" turf.

20. DENVER (6-7, previous rank: 23) - The Broncos have allowed a league-high seven return scores (three punt/kick, four off turnovers)

21. CINCINNATI (5-8, previous rank: 22) - In addition to having the second-worst punt return average (5.3 per return), the Bengals have called a league-high 17 fair catches.

22. DETROIT (6-7, previous rank: 20) - You can't spell 'Detroit Lions' without 'l-o-s-e-r.'

23. CHICAGO (5-8, previous rank: 21) - There's no middle ground for the Bears. If they lose two of their last three, they'll have double-digit losses for the seventh time in 11 seasons - to go alongside their three seasons with double-digit wins. Only the 2003 Bears (7-9) made it to mediocrity.

24. OAKLAND (4-9, previous rank: 24) -RB Justin Fargas seems to have come out of nowhere with his 920 yards and 4.7-per-carry average. But he led the moribund offense of the 2006 Raiders in rushing (659 yards).

25. BALTIMORE (4-9, previous rank: 25) - The Ravens actually have more yards than their opponents this year (4,078-4,011)

26. CAROLINA (5-8, previous rank: 26) - All-world WR Steve Smith has caught 30 passes for 249 yards in Carolina's last six games (8.3 per catch average). His career average is 13.9 yards per catch.

27. NEW YORK JETS (3-10, previous rank: 28) - RB Thomas Jones has taken nine shots at the end zone from the 3-yard-line or closer. He's only converted once.

28. KANSAS CITY (4-9, previous rank: 27) - Chiefs' D not so stingy anymore, allowing 26.3 PPG over six-game skid (16.1 PPG over first seven games)

29. ST. LOUIS (3-10, previous rank: 29) - Rumors of Torry Holt's demise just that; he's over the 1,000-yard mark for the eighth straight season.

30. ATLANTA (3-10 previous rank: 30) - Roddy 'Free Michael Vick' White has 11 catches of 25+ yards, tied for third in the league and one more than Randy Moss. He's also five yards shy of 1,000 for the season.

31. SAN FRANCISCO (3-10, previous rank: 31) - Despite Frank Gore's presence, the 49ers are last in the NFL with 404 rushing yards on first down.

32. MIAMI (0-13, previous rank: 32) - Miami hosts Baltimore this week; both teams committed five turnovers this past Sunday. But you don't really care, do you?

James

James wrote:

21. CINCINNATI (5-8, previous rank: 22) - In addition to having the second-worst punt return average (5.3 per return)

My grandma could return a punt longer than 5.3 yards, and I'm not joking.

She's 73, smokes two packs a day, and drinks buckets of coffee.

That team needs a major overhaul.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I think the Chargers are a little high on that list.

Communist China

I think the Chargers are dangerous. An underachieving team that could and should explode at any moment. We have no idea how good they could be. In fact, they have been playing "bad" this season, yet have an 8-5 record. If they were to get ont he same page all of a sudden, they could even beat the Pats.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

Underachieving is the key word. They should be playing at a higher level, but they're not IMO. If they played to their potential, sure they might could be the Pats, but at the level they are right now, I dont think they could.

Communist China

I see what you're saying, and yes, teams lower than them have had better years than they have, but I wouldn't want to play SD in the playoffs.

James

James wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

I think the Chargers are a little high on that list.

I agree. Browns should be ranked higher than them, and even though they are fighting for their playoff lives, I would rank Minnesota ahead of them as well. Chargers should be at 12 or 13.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

I just think a team that has the best RB in the league, and the best catching TE in the league should be playing better. Their defense hasnt been as good as last year either. Granted, its a whole new coaching staff though.

But you're right, they could be dangerous in the playoffs. If they can flip the switch, watch out. But will they?

Board footer