You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

AtariLegend wrote:

I didn't say he had a mental breakdown, I said he logged off...

...But I think it's fair enough, him not wanting to discusing those kind of things with forum nutters.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Seriously?  Robin was the problem in not promoting the album?  Give me a break.

14 No shit. Finck would have wrote one sentence on his Twitter page and labeled it poetry. Ten people would have drooled and no one else would have cared.

I do agree that his departure likely threw Axl for a loop(especially with that quick NIN release), but he had almost a year to figure out something in a post Finck era. Even without a replacement, a promo blitz could have still occurred.  While I would have preferred as many members of the 2001 line up as possible be involved post release and 2000-08 departures did create an obstacle of trying to market it as an actual band, Finck wasn't a "deal breaker".

Slash leaving? Izzy leaving? Duff leaving? Buckethead leaving? Deal breakers.

Finck leaving? Wake me up when there's news.

Bwahahahhahaha. Karma. 14

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

My ignorant assumption was made at Axl S who somehow equated your post and Atari's post to Axl having a mental breakdown over a thread on Stephanie....just taking your post and blowing it up in a ridiculous way.

russtcb wrote:

That was part of my original post, which wasn't in any way "ignorant".

I think that madagas was referring to the post by Axl S.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I do agree that his departure likely threw Axl for a loop(especially with that quick NIN release), but he had almost a year to figure out something in a post Finck era. Even without a replacement, a promo blitz could have still occurred.  While I would have preferred as many members of the 2001 line up as possible be involved post release and 2000-08 departures did create an obstacle of trying to market it as an actual band, Finck wasn't a "deal breaker".

Yeah man, the question shouldnt be "what happened to the Better video", it should be why the hell wasnt there a video ready to go with the Chinese Democracy single, with a video on the sidelines ready for the follow up single. The fact that they were scrambling around at the 11th hour getting people like Lars to sign of legal agreements for a video appearence for a song that by that point was already released as a single is quite baffling.
But this is an album that 15 years in the making and noone proof read the booklet before printing of tens of millions of copies...:/

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

First week sales were made 15 years ago for the most part.  Add to that the fact that PJ hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire with their last few releases and I don't think it means anything.  It's apples to oranges (like most things when compared to GnR).

Jarmo's doing what he always does - taking things out of context to make excuses for the band's failures.  He's in such a hurry to defend them on something that there is no defense for.  GnR had a guarantee of 200k in sales from internet idiots and sold nothing after the initial rush.  You can't compare their first week sales to anyone else's fairly, but you can over time.  Let's wait and compare the sales after a couple months to get a better feel for one compared against the other.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Jarmo just posted something I think is interesting:

As a side note, Pearl Jam's latest album sold 189,000 copies in its first week. It's a Target/iTunes exclusive.

The band has released a video for the first single, done interviews, and played live shows around its release.

/jarmo

Seems like a very valid point to me. Didn't CD do like 260k in it's first week? I don't remember

The difference is as buzz said PJ has been pretty much laying rotten eggs for nearly a decade now. Their music's become pretty blah to me, and I was a huge fan back 92-95. They need a 'Quadrophenia/Achtung Baby" as their next album, something astonishing & career changing.  Otherwise, they'll just carry on touring the old stuff like the Dead.

There's not much demand anymore for PJ albums, as they're albums have become a bit the same. GnR had 15 years of demand, so it is apples & oranges. If Ed Vedder went into hiding after Vitalogy & finally came back with something, I'm sure it would have sold very well. I'm not going to get into a GnR v PJ battle though, as one treats their fans infinitely better than the other.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Seriously?  Robin was the problem in not promoting the album?  Give me a break.

14 No shit. Finck would have wrote one sentence on his Twitter page and labeled it poetry. Ten people would have drooled and no one else would have cared.

Slash leaving? Izzy leaving? Duff leaving? Buckethead leaving? Deal breakers.

Finck leaving? Wake me up when there's news.

No one ever thought he was trying to work something out with Robin, ala Buckethead up until the last minute? Seeing Axl's reaction the first time Robin left, and Bucket's, I think Finck was a deal breaker. No matter what anyones feeling are about Robin he was pretty obviously an important part of the band and to Axl. There is no telling what was planned and had to be scraped.

And my post was mainly about doing promo with the band: shows and shit. Maybe I wasn't straight forward enough.

And if you're truly saying only "internet idiots" were responsible for the opening 200,000, then PJ's album should have been 500,000. They have a much bigger fanbase than GNR. 

It's nice to see how important it is for some of you to paint everything Axl does as a failure. There just has to be a conspiracy or some negative explanation or slant to everything he does. roll

Board footer