You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: GNR Sued For Copying Songs

-D- wrote:

I like the RS part at the end about contacting GNR and getting no response.

hahahaha like they really thought they were going to get something.

I blame Slash for this personally

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Well it's clear as day the first few seconds on that second vid are the same as on Rhiad, but a million $, I don't see them getting that. It's 5-10 seconds of an electronic effect type noise I'm not sure how much of a copyright claim anyone could have over that.

Call me naive or a fanboy or whatever but this is an electronic sound, presumably from a keyboard or something. It's not a guitar riff that's been stolen it's a sound effect from a keyboard or some other synth instrument. Is it not remotely possible this Schnauss guy and Pittman have some of the same equipment and produced the same effect?

Sky Dog wrote:

rolling stone thinks it is a weak case....so do I. But, they may have to pay a little something to settle it and avoid pay defense costs/attorney fees.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Well it's clear as day the first few seconds on that second vid are the same as on Rhiad, but a million $, I don't see them getting that. It's 5-10 seconds of an electronic effect type noise I'm not sure how much of a copyright claim anyone could have over that.

Call me naive or a fanboy or whatever but this is an electronic sound, presumably from a keyboard or something. It's not a guitar riff that's been stolen it's a sound effect from a keyboard or some other synth instrument. Is it not remotely possible this Schnauss guy and Pittman have some of the same equipment and produced the same effect?

You cant steal from other artists. Period. Hell, look at the Stones. Their song 'Anybody Seen My Baby' had a chorus similar to Constant Craving. They gave Lang credit for that so they wouldn't have to think about possible lawsuits once it was released.

For an even better example which would relate to this(also Stones related), check out The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony.

You cant do this sort of thing. Well you can, but have your wallet open while doing it.

James

James wrote:

Originally, The Verve had negotiated a licence to use a sample from the Oldham recording, but it was successfully argued that the Verve had used 'too much' of the sample. Despite having original lyrics, the music of "Bitter Sweet Symphony" is partially based on the Oldham track (the song uses the sample as its foundation and builds layers upon it, though the prominent violin melody is Ashcroft's creation), which led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Allen Klein's company that owns the rights to the Rolling Stones material of the 1960s. The matter was eventually settled, with copyright of the song reverting to ABKCO and songwriting credits to Jagger and Richards.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

They "stole" about 10 to 15 seconds worth of sounds for the intro.  Bittersweet Symphony was completely based on the Stones song they sampled and played throughout the entire song.  It's a bit of a different case.  There's obviously a similarity, or a ripoff, what have you.  But it's nowhere near the severity of some of these other cases.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

James Lofton wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

You cant steal from other artists. Period. Hell, look at the Stones. Their song 'Anybody Seen My Baby' had a chorus similar to Constant Craving. They gave Lang credit for that so they wouldn't have to think about possible lawsuits once it was released.

For an even better example which would relate to this(also Stones related), check out The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony.

You cant do this sort of thing. Well you can, but have your wallet open while doing it.

I see your point but where's the line drawn legally? As I said it's not like both songs have an identical riff or something. If a song opens with two long notes played on a guitar and someone then says 'hey my song opens with those same two long notes' do they have a right to sue? Is there a set amount of time the music has to sound similar/same or a set number of notes that need to be in the same sequence before you have a case?

As madagas said it might be wise to agree a sum out of court just to avoid the publicity, which is probably what Mr Schanuss is hoping for.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I believe there is a "law" on how long or similar riffs can be.  Don't know what it is though.  Have no idea about electronic sounds used in an intro to a song though, don't know if they've gotten around to that yet.

James

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

They "stole" about 10 to 15 seconds worth of sounds for the intro.  Bittersweet Symphony was completely based on the Stones song they sampled and played throughout the entire song.  It's a bit of a different case.  There's obviously a similarity, or a ripoff, what have you.  But it's nowhere near the severity of some of these other cases.

I never said this case was identical. Simply mentioned a couple other cases for reference.

Board footer