You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Clint > Pacino

Pacino's acting in the two Godfather movies is better than anything Clint's ever done. It was so good that the Academy felt the need to give him an Oscar years after the fact for a mediocre role because they realized they fucked him over. Shoulda won Supporting Actor for Godfather 1 and should have won Best Actor for Godfather 2. Ironically, Brando won Best Actor for Godfather 1 even though the movie is really Pacino's. His character has more development and screentime. Those two movies feature some of the best acting ever. The ensemble casts for both movies were top notch.

Eastwood's performance in Unforgiven alone, over shadows anything Pacino's done.

I wonder how someone who hasn't even seen The Godfather movies can comment on Pacino's work in them. 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Al's performance in Dog Day Afternoon pisses acid on Clint's entire 'deadpan' acting career.

Clint's been playing the same character in every movie since Paint Your Wagon 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Pacino's acting in the two Godfather movies is better than anything Clint's ever done. It was so good that the Academy felt the need to give him an Oscar years after the fact for a mediocre role because they realized they fucked him over. Shoulda won Supporting Actor for Godfather 1 and should have won Best Actor for Godfather 2. Ironically, Brando won Best Actor for Godfather 1 even though the movie is really Pacino's. His character has more development and screentime. Those two movies feature some of the best acting ever. The ensemble casts for both movies were top notch.

Eastwood's performance in Unforgiven alone, over shadows anything Pacino's done.

I wonder how someone who hasn't even seen The Godfather movies can comment on Pacino's work in them. 16

Because Heat is the best thing he's ever done.

I know going in The Godfather films will not top it.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Because Heat is the best thing he's ever done.

I know going in The Godfather films will not top it.

Nice to see you have an open mind. 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I agree that Eastwood is one of those types that basically plays himself, but his performance in Unforgiven was amazing.

I love Heat, but it's not his best performance. Godfather films, Dog Day Afternoon, Donnie Brasco, Cruising, Scarface, and dare I say Author! Author! all trump that performance.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I agree that Eastwood is one of those types that basically plays himself, but his performance in Unforgiven was amazing.

I love Heat, but it's not his best performance. Godfather films, Dog Day Afternoon, Donnie Brasco, Cruising, Scarface, and dare I say Author! Author! all trump that performance.

Carlito's Way is another very good one. So is Serpico. Pacino has turned into a joke over the last 5 years or so, but at one time he was one of the best. Hell, I think his work in Insomnia was very good too. Then again, I'm a Nolan fan so maybe I'm just biased. But his acting looked like he hadn't slept in days. Perhaps he really did exactly that as a sort of extreme method acting. tongue

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Serpico is one of his great ones.

Donnie Brasco WOULD'VE been, but too bad he was surrounded by 'so so' film. Really Pacino was the only shining point in Brasco.

Scarface is WAY overrated. I don't even like it.

Insomnia is one of the worst movies i've ever seen. Pacino gave it his all, but he was surrounded by a turd of a film, regardless of Chris Nolan.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Man, I have always thought Scarface was overrated and just plain stupid. I seriously don't see the hype around it accept for wannabe gangsters.

Don't get me started on Cruising. Bleh... But Al was good in it.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Scarface is one of the most overrated movies ever made. Axlin08, every single one of these movies and performances are weak shit compared to the Godfather movies and Michael Corleone except Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico. Pacino peaked in the mid-70's, although he has a pretty good resume even when you don't include those 4 movies.

And if you think Insomnia is that bad, you probably don't watch enough movies. Given your love of the horror genre, one would think you've seen hundreds of shitty ass horror movies that make Insomnia look like a masterpiece. tongue

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Scarface is one of the most overrated movies ever made. Axlin08, every single one of these movies and performances are weak shit compared to the Godfather movies and Michael Corleone except Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico. Pacino peaked in the mid-70's, although he has a pretty good resume even when you don't include those 4 movies.

On Dog Day Afternoon(Fredo is also in the film) he gives a great performance--this coming from someone who doesn't really like the film.  For some reason, I always end up watching the first Godfather more than the second one because I find it more accesible.  I really have to rewatch the second one since I think its been 10 years since I've last seen it.

Regarding his current output, I saw Righteous Kill whenever it came out and it was pretty weak and predictable.

Insomnia is one of the worst movies i've ever seen. Pacino gave it his all, but he was surrounded by a turd of a film, regardless of Chris Nolan.

I'll defend this a little--I think this is one of those films that got mismarketed as a cop thriller/drama when it is actually one of those movies about self discovery/ internal angst.  So going in if you were expecting a thriller and got the opposite, I can understand your frustration.

Back on topic: last movie seen--The Boat that Rocked

Board footer