You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Annie Hall. Very good flick.

One of the best flicks from the 70s. Probably deserved a spot in our Movie Madness.

I hated Woody Allen when I was a kid. My mom watched his films all the time. When I was older, I was at the library and checked out Annie Hall. I "got it". Immediately started diving into the rest of his filmography. He's got a few duds, but his gems more than make up for it.

I think he should have quit after Mighty Aphrodite. Would have been a great Swan Song to his career.

Have you watched Manhattan Murder Mystery? Killer movie. It was released with little attention which is unfortunate because its what Annie Hall was supposed to be. Annie Hall initially had an almost identical murder mystery as a subplot, but was completely removed before its release. I hope before he dies that he releases an unedited version of the flick. Its probably a mess, but I'd like to see it anyways. Also, pretty sure that Murder Mystery was intended as a sequel to Annie Hall, but backed out of the idea while writing it.

My favorite Woodie Allen movies:

Broadway Danny Rose
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Play It Again Sam
Manhattan Murder Mystery
Hannah and her Sisters
Mighty Aphrodite

Some of his other films are good(Sleeper, Take the Money and Run, Bananas), but the above is the cream of his crop. Some people rave on Zelig, but I don't like it although it was definitely groundbreaking for its time.

I don't like his dramas.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

James, I can't recall watching any other Woody Allen flicks. I remember seeing one on a movie channel years ago with him and Bette Midler. Their characters were arguing a bunch and going through a divorce I think. It was pretty funny. I didn't watch the whole thing though and I don't even remember the title of it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Halloween I, II & III

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

James, I can't recall watching any other Woody Allen flicks. I remember seeing one on a movie channel years ago with him and Bette Midler. Their characters were arguing a bunch and going through a divorce I think. It was pretty funny. I didn't watch the whole thing though and I don't even remember the title of it.

'Scenes from a Mall'. One of his average flicks, but has a few laughs. Those two were an odd pairing. 14

You should check out Manhattan or Broadway Danny Rose next.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Jacobs Ladder again. Couldn't believe the cast they had in that movie, a ton of budding actors who exploded in the 90's (Macauley Culkin, Jason Alexander, Ving Rhames, Danny Aiello and Tim Robbins). Cool movie, really fucked up & tough to follow but I hadn't seen it since it came out and often think of this movie. One of the more lesser known Vietnam themed movies but I think it came out a couple years too late. Should have been made in the early-mid 80's.

If any younger folks want to see a bizarre, twisted movie, check it out.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

John Hillcoat's The Road is probably the best American picture I've seen in a decade. Have always been keen on Hillcoat's output (Ghosts of the Civil Dead, The Proposition) and Cormac McCarthy (No Country for Old Men) writes fine stories.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Annie Hall. Very good flick.

One of the best flicks from the 70s. Probably deserved a spot in our Movie Madness.

I hated Woody Allen when I was a kid. My mom watched his films all the time. When I was older, I was at the library and checked out Annie Hall. I "got it". Immediately started diving into the rest of his filmography. He's got a few duds, but his gems more than make up for it.

I think he should have quit after Mighty Aphrodite. Would have been a great Swan Song to his career.

Have you watched Manhattan Murder Mystery? Killer movie. It was released with little attention which is unfortunate because its what Annie Hall was supposed to be. Annie Hall initially had an almost identical murder mystery as a subplot, but was completely removed before its release. I hope before he dies that he releases an unedited version of the flick. Its probably a mess, but I'd like to see it anyways. Also, pretty sure that Murder Mystery was intended as a sequel to Annie Hall, but backed out of the idea while writing it.

My favorite Woodie Allen movies:

Broadway Danny Rose
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Play It Again Sam
Manhattan Murder Mystery
Hannah and her Sisters
Mighty Aphrodite

Some of his other films are good(Sleeper, Take the Money and Run, Bananas), but the above is the cream of his crop. Some people rave on Zelig, but I don't like it although it was definitely groundbreaking for its time.

I don't like his dramas.

I've seen most of his films and for some reason I can't get into Annie Hall when I try to watch it a second time.  Manhattan either.  For some reason, I dig Hannah and her Sisters.     Haven't seen Broadway Danny Rose or Manhattan Murder Mystery.  I'd add Bullets over Broadway on that list too as I enjoyed that one.

Of the dramatic output, Crimes and Misdeamors and Match Point are standouts for me.  I liked last year's Vicky Christina Barcelona too.  I haven't seen Whatever works I think it's a comedy though.  I really hated Husbands and Wives though.

Wow, you reminded me that I watched The Curse of the Jade Scorpion the other day and it was MUCH better than I expected.

I saw this when it came out in the theater (2001) and thought it was an okay film.  Rewatched it a week ago and enjoyed it a whole lot more.  Underrated film, worth viewing just for Charlize Theron and her Veronica Lake look.

Anyway watched Suspiria on Halloween night.  Some parts good some parts cheesy.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

The Third Man and Interview With The Vampire, both on Blu-ray.

julia (babydolls)
 Rep: 6 

Final Destination in 3D and Up.
really enjoyed both.  all the final destinations should be 3D - it just adds really well to that kind of "fated extreme accident" plot

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I saw Milk, Sean Penn was really good in it. At first I thought he got the award simply for playing a gay character, but he did deliver it very well. A little tough to watch it all, a bit long & alot of gay men things going on (not many sex scenes), but overall he did a good job. Josh Brolin was really good in it too.

Sticking with the gay theme I saw Marley & Me last week too. I liked it, Jen Aniston was her usual good self (hot too!), but I was surprised Owen Wilson was good in the role & played it well. I read the book, a very good book, and the movie was one of the few where I could actually sit thru the whole thing after reading the book. I recommend reading it first, it's a little more detailed and dark towards the end, the movie is a bit more kiddie & bad news bears style. Overall I liked it.

Also watched Hostel 2 last night. It was good, about as good as the first imho. I wasn't a fan of the first though, I didn't really get it. Part thriller, part drama, part B-movie. This one followed, similar, but good.

Board footer