You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

Backslash wrote:
-D- wrote:

Zombieland Fucking GREAT

I saw it Sunday night.  Completely awesome!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

So Russ and Axlin08, have either of you goobers bothered to watch the Godfather movies yet? tongue

I've been busy as shit... of course since Police Academy 4.

And the Halloween stuff was just for the season.

But after that, it's next. Of course not before Friday The 13th, 'cause I got to watch them.

But after that, right after that. 19

I think you guys can give Axl Rose a run for his money in procrastination. tongue

Well Corleone Democracy Starts Now!!!!!

Watched The Godfather Parts I & II today.

Hidden Text:

Good movies. Very very rich, as cinematic experiences. There's alot of stuff going on, and I don't think you can get all of it just in one viewing. Was kind of bored in the first 30 minutes of GF1, but when it got going, it got better and better, and the climax at the end was a terrific finale. The performances were fantastic, although Pacino was kind of in the shadows for alot of the film, with Brando & Duvall shining.

GF2 was another good one. I've heard people say for years how it's so much better than the first, but I disagree. I think it was even. Both films have their respective appeal, and are equal in my eyes. Kind of how I feel about Back To The Future and it's sequels. One of the irritating things in GF2 was I LOVED the flashback sequences with Vito (DeNiro) and the rise of the family. GOD, I would've loved to see a prequel movie, that JUST did that. It was SO good. The present day stuff with Pacino kind of took me away, but Pacino's amazing performance made up for it. He was on fire, and you just couldn't take your eyes off of him as Michael became more and more cold and ruthless. That scene with Pacino & Diane Keaton, where she tells him about the abortion... WOW. Amazing stuff. Ending was a tad of a letdown, didn't dig it as much as GF1, but it was still a good ending.

I'll get around to Godfather Part III when I get the chance.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I've been busy as shit... of course since Police Academy 4.

And the Halloween stuff was just for the season.

But after that, it's next. Of course not before Friday The 13th, 'cause I got to watch them.

But after that, right after that. 19

I think you guys can give Axl Rose a run for his money in procrastination. tongue

Well Corleone Democracy Starts Now!!!!!

Watched The Godfather Parts I & II today.

Hidden Text:

Good movies. Very very rich, as cinematic experiences. There's alot of stuff going on, and I don't think you can get all of it just in one viewing. Was kind of bored in the first 30 minutes of GF1, but when it got going, it got better and better, and the climax at the end was a terrific finale. The performances were fantastic, although Pacino was kind of in the shadows for alot of the film, with Brando & Duvall shining.

GF2 was another good one. I've heard people say for years how it's so much better than the first, but I disagree. I think it was even. Both films have their respective appeal, and are equal in my eyes. Kind of how I feel about Back To The Future and it's sequels. One of the irritating things in GF2 was I LOVED the flashback sequences with Vito (DeNiro) and the rise of the family. GOD, I would've loved to see a prequel movie, that JUST did that. It was SO good. The present day stuff with Pacino kind of took me away, but Pacino's amazing performance made up for it. He was on fire, and you just couldn't take your eyes off of him as Michael became more and more cold and ruthless. That scene with Pacino & Diane Keaton, where she tells him about the abortion... WOW. Amazing stuff. Ending was a tad of a letdown, didn't dig it as much as GF1, but it was still a good ending.

I'll get around to Godfather Part III when I get the chance.

Well fuck me running!

ndq4jk.jpg

So speaking of Godfather II's ending, I think you will find with repeat viewings that you'll enjoy it more. The final shot of that film is brilliant. The look on Pacino's face...

And as I expected, the first 30 minutes of GF1 was a problem for ya. I figure your experience will be pretty similar to my own because that's exactly how it went for me the first time I saw it. I am sure you will enjoy the films more and more with repeat viewings. I too regard the two films on a similar level. I'd probably give a slight edge to Part 1 because I enjoy the New York setting more than Lake Tahoe and so forth. I regard them as the two best movies I've ever seen, although admittedly I still have many older films and art films that I need to see.

I recently blind-bought North By Northwest on Blu-ray. It is a gorgeous transfer to high definition and the film is great. Hitchcock was a fuckin' master.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

So Russ, looks like Axlin08 beat you to the punch. You should be ashamed. tongue

By the way, Axlin08, just a little bit of movie trivia for you now that you've seen Godfather 1 and 2: the man who played Hyman Roth, Lee Strasberg, was actually Al Pacino's acting teacher when he first learned how to act. Godfather II was Strasberg's first major role in a film if I'm not mistaken (he was primarily a stage actor/teacher). He was deservedly nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his work in Godfather 2.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Eastwood's performance in Unforgiven alone, over shadows anything Pacino's done.

I wonder how someone who hasn't even seen The Godfather movies can comment on Pacino's work in them. 16

Because Heat is the best thing he's ever done.

I know going in The Godfather films will not top it.

So, Axlin08, now that you have seen GF1 and GF2...have your thoughts on this changed? You admitted that Pacino was incredible in GF2, so I'm curious what you think. Granted, you will probably need repeat viewings to make this decision because I assume you have seen Heat multiple times while you have only seen GF1 and GF2 once each.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I really need to get round to watching the Godfather movies.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

I wonder how someone who hasn't even seen The Godfather movies can comment on Pacino's work in them. 16

Because Heat is the best thing he's ever done.

I know going in The Godfather films will not top it.

So, Axlin08, now that you have seen GF1 and GF2...have your thoughts on this changed? You admitted that Pacino was incredible in GF2, so I'm curious what you think. Granted, you will probably need repeat viewings to make this decision because I assume you have seen Heat multiple times while you have only seen GF1 and GF2 once each.

With Parts I & II... yes, I was still convinced Heat was the best, or at least my favorite, even tho DeNiro I think is the defining performance of that film.

But, today...

I watched The Godfather Part III, and it clinched it for me on it being Pacino's defining moment as an actor. Maybe because GF3 felt like bringing everything full circle, and making it a well-rounded viewing experience, I dunno. But with III, it sunk in, that Pacino was just... "holy shit" in these films.

With that said, I still hold Heat right up there. I still think he is totally classic in that film, specifically his rants and limited scenes with DeNiro.

So as for Godfather Part III, I was pleasently surprised. I went into it expecting the absolute worst, because all I had been told was that "it sucks", "it's not I or II", "it's a major letdown"... and frankly... I don't get that slamming of the film at all. I was totally entertained throughout III. No, it's not I or II, and the depth doesn't seem to be in III that there was in I & II, and I think that's because Pacino has to carry the entire film himself, and not having that amazing supporting cast led by Duvall that he had in the first two films. Diane Keaton's role also seems reduced practically to "Special Guest Star". But I enjoyed III. I thought Andy Garcia did a good job, there were tons of winks at the first film primarily in the relationship between Michael & Vincent, being identical to Vito & Sonny in the original. It was also all the more bittersweet in that Michael swore he'd never become his father, but in fact lived an identical life to his father, including

Hidden Text:

the loss of a child, and the fact that he just rotted away. The business killed him slow, instead of the full on whack, that so many people throughout his life seemed to suffer, and Vito's too

III wasn't the first two, but it was still a highly entertaining, satisfying end to the saga.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

III wasn't the first two, but it was still a highly entertaining, satisfying end to the saga.

It's underrated. The only thing bad about it is Sophia Coppola as Michael's daughter. Her acting was terrible.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Axlin, I've been trying to tell people pretty much exactly what you said about III for years.  A lot of people's complaint about it is that Michael is "just a scumbag" in it.  I don't understand that logic, because when you think about the last couple things he did it II, he really shouldn't be kind of a hero anymore.  Like you said, it takes the character full circle.

With your thoughts on 1 and 2, for repeat viewing you might want to look up "The Godfather Saga".  It takes the flashbacks from 2, and puts them 1st.  Then you see all of 1.  Then you see the "present day" parts of 2.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

^^

Thx for the heads up on that.

And yes, Sophia Coppola was bad, and I knew her performance had been slammed for years going into the movie.

What I found was it really wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, she just seemed WAY out of her element. Sophia didn't have the chops to pull of the acting necessary in that kind of film, acting that the Al Pacino's, Diane Keaton's, Talia Shire's, Andy Garcia's, etc., those type of solid actors are able to do.

She was inexperienced for that kind of integral role. She'd be fine in some teen sex-romp comedy or horror movie, but in a Godfather movie, obviously you have to step up your game.

Her acting was basic, and cookie-cutter.

They just needed a more experienced and well-versed actress in that role. Winona Ryder would've been great, too bad it fell through at the last minute.

Board footer