You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

James wrote:

Pats need to sit Brady. They're winning 28-0 in the middle of the 3rd, yet he is still in there. Dolphins are getting a bit of pressure on him, and there's no point in risking the season just so Brady can add to his astronomical passing stats. Let him do it next week against the Giants.

Take him out and if the Dolphins start scoring, put him back in.

James

James wrote:

Bucs are fucking hilarious. I watched the last part of the game. While they do have the division wrapped up, they are fighting for playoff position. Do you want the 3rd or 4th spot?? In other words, do you want to play the Vikings or Giants? The answer is they do NOT want to play the Vikings. They benched Garcia, and early in the 4th when they should have kicked a FG so a TD could win the game, they go for it and wind up with zero points to show for it. Lame.

Bucs didn't want to win that game.

Barring an upset tonight, the wildcard games are already decided:

NFC

Seattle vs Minnesota
Tampa vs New York

AFC

Cleveland or Tennessee vs Pittsburgh
San Diego vs Jacksonville

James

James wrote:

Wow. Vikings are getting killed 25-7 in the 4th. They don't even want to win. What a bizarre day in the NFL. Two of the hottest teams (Browns and Vikings) are knocking themselves out of the playoffs. Unfuckingbelievable. All both teams had to do today is win. Period. Now they are on the verge of not making it, and no longer control their own destiny. The Titans play the Colts next week, and the Colts will have all their started benched so Titans will likely win. Redskins play the Cowboys next week, who will likely also sit all their starters.

Vikings and Browns out, Titans and Redskins in.

There is even a scenario where if the Redskins lose next week, the Saints get the final spot and not the Vikings.

In other words, parity once again has reared its ugly head.

James

James wrote:

If the playoffs started today:

1. New England Patriots (15-0) - Have clinched AFC East and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

2. Indianapolis Colts (13-2) - Have clinched AFC South and first-round bye.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers (10-5) - Have clinched AFC North.

4. San Diego Chargers (9-5) - Have clinched AFC West.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars (11-4) - Have clinched wild-card berth.

6. Cleveland Browns (9-6) - Currently owns conference tiebreaker over Tennessee, but need Titans to lose in Week 17 to clinch final wild-card spot.

7. Tennessee Titans (9-6) - Will clinch the final wild-card spot with win over Colts in Week 17 based on common games tiebreaker over Browns.

Here are the current first-round matchups in the AFC:

Cleveland at Pittsburgh
Jacksonville at San Diego

First-round byes: New England and Indianapolis

thats a strange tiebreaker situation between Cleveland and Tennessee. Both teams own different sets of tiebreakers over the other. They both have the same record, Browns in the driver's seat now, but if they both win next week, Tennessee gets the wild card spot because of the opponent they played. Cleveland REALLY fucked up today.

1. Dallas Cowboys (13-2) - Have clinched NFC East and home-field advantage.

2. Green Bay Packers (12-3) - Have clinched NFC North and first-round bye.

3. Seattle Seahawks (10-5) - Have clinched NFC West and No. 3 seed.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-6) - Have clinched NFC South.

5. New York Giants (10-5) - Have clinched wild-card berth.

6. Washington Redskins (8-7) - Own the tiebreaker over the Vikings by virtue of head-to-head win.

7. Minnesota Vikings (8-7) - Need a win and Redskins loss to clinch final wild-card spot.

Here are the current first-round matchups in the NFC:

Washington at Seattle
N.Y. Giants at Tampa Bay

First-round byes: Dallas and Green Bay

I still cant hardly believe the Vikings went from 2nd hottest team in the NFC to being on the outside looking in. I don't know why the Saints are not on this list because if the Vikings and Redskins lose and the Saints win, the Saints are in the playoffs.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

The Colts looked really good again yesterday.  I still think that if Harrison is back that the Colts can and WILL (strong prediction but I stand by it) defeat the Patriots.  Many people claim that NE is the only real dynasty in today's NFL football era but I would disagree.  The Colts have now won 10 or more games in the past six consecutive seasons.  I think that builds a case within itself.   

I think the Pats have lost alot of sizzle.  The Patriots played the weakest team in the NFL and won 28 - 7 ... BUT .... the score was 28 - 0 at halftime.   This means a shabby team like this year's Dolphins not only outscored New England in the second half (7 - 0), they actually shut them out.  That's significant because it is showing a trend.  A few teams with poor records nearly cost NE their perfect season and then Miami shuts them out in the second half.  Keep in mind than everyone thought that Peyton Manning's 49 touchdowns would be destroyed by now...hardly.  Brady needs another TD to tie it and two to go one over.  He isn't going to destroy it.  Everyone thought Moss would destroy Rice's 22 TD receptions but he is in the same boat as Brady, one to tie it and two to beat it.  Hardly destroying.  By no means am I saying that NE hasn't did some very impressive things but my point is that a couple months ago everyone would have expected these records to have been totally shattered instead of going into the last week of the season trying to tie and then break them.  This means there has been a fairly good slowdown in NE's dominance I think.   Regardless of what Brady, Moss, whoever says they WANT those records, they just simply haven't been able to finish the deal yet.  Against Miami, you would have thought it would have been a walk in the park.  They should have owned them in the second half of the game...instead they were silenced.

New York found a potent running game yesterday.  Could they end the perfect season?

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Perfect running game against the Bills, but yes, still impressive. I don't think the Giants will win again this year personally, but I certainly think they could give a challenge to NE.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

thats a strange tiebreaker situation between Cleveland and Tennessee. Both teams own different sets of tiebreakers over the other. They both have the same record, Browns in the driver's seat now, but if they both win next week, Tennessee gets the wild card spot because of the opponent they played. Cleveland REALLY fucked up today.

Yeah, in fact, it doesn't even matter if Cleveland wins or loses next week. It must be really rare, but I saw on TV last night if Tenn wins, Cleveland is out. But if Tenn loses, Cleveland is in,  no matter whether they win or lose?? Strange!

NYG won a big one last night. I was kindof hoping they would lose so this weeks game would mean ALOT to them, and they'd play NE 110%. Now, they are in no matter what, they may want to rest their players. It'll probably be up to the players to decide how to go about it, win & go in with alot of momentum, or rest 1 week until the playoffs. I'm thinking they'll start the game playing, then pull players out. Sucks. Oh well. You're right, NE is not as hot as before. I think age on the defense is becoming a factor. Alot of their LB's are 30+, Seau is like 38... SD, JAX, & INDY would give them a run to make it tough.

How amazing was it to see Kevin Everett walking as well as he was. I thought he'd be using a walker or walking gingerly. He seemed damn near 100%. Modern day miracle. Mad props to all the doctors who treated him & advised on what to do to him (lower his body temp, inject him with saline). Ashame for players from years ago like Mike Utley & Dennis Byrd medical science wasn't as advanced for them back then.

nugdafied wrote:

Da' Bears!!! Nothing like sweeping the season series from the hated Packers & making them go on the road to get to the SuperBowl. Solid.

James

James wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

Da' Bears!!! Nothing like sweeping the season series from the hated Packers & making them go on the road to get to the SuperBowl. Solid.

Even though the Bears are my team, I would rather the Packers have won, causing Dallas to have to fight for home field, thus knocking the Skins out of playoff contention so Minnesota could sneak in. Other than Tampa, Minnesota is the only hope in preventing a Dallas SB appearance.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah pretty crazy week, i figured a few of the teams would choke...as for the pats, brady was tryign too hard to break the record instead of just playing his game, i'v enever seen him try to force sop many plays sad I'll be glad when the reg season is over, then they can move on to the next task at hand, but i dont htink their superbowl ring is gonna be as clear cut as most people thought, there are a few teams that could givethem a run 18

Board footer