You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

yeah pretty crazy week, i figured a few of the teams would choke...as for the pats, brady was tryign too hard to break the record instead of just playing his game, i'v enever seen him try to force sop many plays sad I'll be glad when the reg season is over, then they can move on to the next task at hand, but i dont htink their superbowl ring is gonna be as clear cut as most people thought, there are a few teams that could givethem a run 18

Yeah, now that Cleveland is likely out of the playoffs, the team they have to worry about is Jacksonville.

Power Rankings are in.....

'¢    1. Patriots (15-0)
'¢    2. Colts (13-2)
'¢    3. Cowboys (13-2)
'¢    4. Packers (12-3)
'¢    5. Jaguars (11-4)
'¢    6. Steelers (10-5)
'¢    7. Chargers (10-5)
'¢    8. Bucs (9-6)
'¢    9. Seahawks (10-5)
'¢    10. Vikings (8-7)
'¢    11. Titans (9-6)
'¢    12. Giants (10-5)

13. CLEVELAND (9-6, previous rank: 11) - Just when you thought the Browns had turned the corner they suffer a terrible loss to the soon-to-be-imploding Bengals. Cleveland needs a Tennessee loss to reach the playoffs.

14. PHILADELPHIA (7-8, previous rank: 15) - Under-hyped back Brian Westbrook leads the NFL in yards from scrimmage (2,005).

15. NEW ORLEANS (7-8, previous rank: 14) - The Saints were stuffed three times at the goal line during a pivotal third-quarter juncture of their 38-23 loss to the Eagles. They can still reach the playoffs with a win at Chicago and losses by Washington and Minnesota.

16. WASHINGTON (8-7, previous rank: 16) - Who would've thought that the formerly 5-7 Redskins would still have a shot at the playoffs entering the final week of the season? With a win over Dallas, the Redskins head to Seattle for the wildcard playoffs.

17. ARIZONA (7-8, previous rank: 19) - As good as Anquan Boldin was against the Falcons (13 catches, 162 yards, 2 TD), it was only his second-best game of the season. Boldin caught 14 passes for 181 yards and 2 TD in Week Three against the Ravens.

18. HOUSTON (7-8, previous rank: 17) - A win Sunday over the Jaguars would set a new franchise record for victories in a season. Houston's previous best was seven wins in 2004.

19. BUFFALO (7-8, previous rank: 18) - Kicker Rian Lindell continues his excellent season hitting 21 of 24 (87.5 percent) field goals this year. In his career the former Washington State Cougar is a perfect 248 for 248 on extra points and has hit 172 of 214 figgies (80.4 percent).

20. DENVER (6-9, previous rank: 20) - Ouch! In their two games against the Chargers the Broncos failed to score a touchdown and were outscored 64-6.

21. CHICAGO (6-9, previous rank: 21) - The lesser-known Adrian Peterson's 102 yards rushing against Green Bay was a season high for the Bears.

22. DETROIT (7-8, previous rank: 23) - Speaking of 100-yard games. T.J. Duckett's 102 yards in a 25-20 win over KC were also a career high and the second time the 2002 first-round pick has passed the century mark in his career.

23. CINCINNATI (6-9, previous rank: 24) - Anyone clamoring for Kenny Watson to be the featured back in Cincinnatti should remember that he is 29 years old (about 75 in human years) and has surpassed 5.0 YPA just twice this season.

24. CAROLINA (6-9, previous rank: 22) - Curious Cold, Hard Football Fact of the Week: the Panthers are 5-1 when Steve Smith gets at least one rushing attempt.

25. OAKLAND (4-11, previous rank: 25) - So what if rookie JaMarcus Russell completed just 7 of 23 passes (30.4 percent) and threw three INTs in last week's 49-11 loss to Jacksonville? Rex Grossman matched that feat twice last season and started the Super Bowl.

26. BALTIMORE (4-11, previous rank: 26) -Derrick Mason has caught 97 passes, third in the NFL and more than Randy Moss (92), Reggie Wayne (92) or Terrell Owens (81), despite counting Kyle Boller, Steve McNair and rookie Troy Smith as his battery-mates.

27. NEW YORK JETS (3-12, previous rank: 27) - Hey, at least their competitive. The 12-loss Jets have been outscored by an average of just 6.0 PPG this year.

28. KANSAS CITY (4-11, previous rank: 28) - No matter who is playing quarterback for the Chiefs in 2008, he would be wise to just throw the ball to Tony Gonzalez (92 catches, 1,108 yards, 5 TD) and Dwayne Bowe (69, 982, 5).

29. SAN FRANCISCO (5-10, previous rank: 29) - A Cold, Hard Football Facts salute to Bryant Young, one of the great defensive linemen of this generation, who will retire at the end of the season. The last vestige of San Fran's 1994 Super Bowl champion team, the 14-year veteran has recorded 6.5 sacks this year and boasts 89.5 for his career. Like fellow Notre Dame alumnus Rudy Ruettiger, Young's teammates carried him off the field during his final home game, San Fran's 21-19 win over Tampa on Sunday.

30. ST. LOUIS (3-12, previous rank: 30) - Torry Holt did his best TO impersonation on the sidelines, screaming at head coach Scott Linehan as Rams still lost at home for the seventh time this year, 41-24 to Pittsburgh.

31. ATLANTA (3-12 previous rank: 31) - Roddy White (141 receiving yards) and Laurent Robinson (114) became the first pair of Falcons receivers this decade with 100 yards or more receiving in the same game.

32. MIAMI (1-14, previous rank: 32) - So much for the red-hot one-game winning streak. Miami has locked up the top pick in the draft and is bracing for the arrival of Hurricane Tuna.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Good news for those of us who don't have the NFL network!

NFL: Patriots' big game can be seen by all
League announces that game, in which New England could be the first NFL team ever to go 16-0, will now be available to every TV viewer in the country.

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New England Patriots' shot at history Saturday night will be available to every television viewer in the country after months of wrangling.

Their game against the New York Giants, in which the Patriots could become the first NFL team to go 16-0 in the regular season, was originally scheduled to be shown only on the NFL Network. Fewer than 40 percent of the nation's homes with TVs receive the channel.

The league announced Wednesday that the NFL Network feed will be simulcast on GE's (GE, Fortune 500) NBC and CBS (CBS, Fortune 500). It's a major concession by league officials, who repeatedly said they would not show the game anywhere but the NFL Network. The NFL had faced mounting pressure from lawmakers in recent weeks to make the game available to more viewers.

Local TV affiliates in the Boston, Manchester, N.H., and New York areas who were already set to simulcast the game under NFL policy will still air it.

The NFL has feuded with major cable companies, who have declined to carry the network as part of basic packages.

"We have taken this extraordinary step because it is in the best interest of our fans," commissioner Roger Goodell said. "What we have seen for the past year is a very strong consumer demand for NFL Network. We appreciate CBS and NBC delivering the NFL Network telecast on Saturday night to the broad audience that deserves to see this potentially historic game. Our commitment to the NFL Network is stronger than ever."

This will be the first three-network simulcast in NFL history and the first simulcast of any kind of an NFL game since the first Super Bowl in 1967, when CBS and NBC both televised the first meeting of the champions of the newly merged National Football League and American Football League.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:

I'm watching the Patriots/Giants game.  I'm so fucking sick of the Patriots at this point.  The Giants were ahead, held the Pats to a fourth down and then BOOM, the good ol' Refs call a bullshit call to give the Pats four new downs and inevitably they get a touchdown.  Seems like that has happened a bit too often in favor of the Pats in a few recent games.

Wow, just as I was writing this NY just returned the ball for a TD!!  Let's go Giants. The Pats do not deserve to be undefeated and I'm not talking about the "cheating" from the first game.  The fact is they technically lost to the Ravens.  The person who called for the time out didn't even have the authority to do so but the Ref didn't know who called it and therefore it was granted which inevitably caused the game to be loss.  Losing tonight would make them a good team but not have a perfect season and that would be a truer representation of what the record SHOULD be.  Besides that I think Brady is becoming an arrogant ass and Moss doesn't even deserve to be allowed to play in the NFL after his attitude last season...no matter how good he is.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:

This game is pissing me off and is once again proving my point (as well as some Eagle's claims) that NE is getting some very favorable calls...AGAIN AND AGAIN.  A NE defensive player should have been ejected on the current drive for trying to poke a NYG player's eye on purpose and instead of that the call goes AGAINST the Giants.  Finally the refs turned it around.  Then the next couple of plays Eli throws a ball to the endzone and the receiver has position to make the grab but is blatantly interferred with.  No call...surprise surprise.  Luckily the Giants kept their composure and just scored.  I hate these shabby calls/no calls however...in favor over and over for the Pats.  Halftime and the Giants are ahead 21-16, I hope it lasts.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Yeah Slinger, but unbelievably favorable calls are how teams go undefeated. The Phins could get away with murder in the 70s, and now the Pats are getting that luck too. Hopefully the Giants will continue to play well, as right now they are the better team on the field.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Yeah Slinger, but unbelievably favorable calls are how teams go undefeated. The Phins could get away with murder in the 70s, and now the Pats are getting that luck too. Hopefully the Giants will continue to play well, as right now they are the better team on the field.

Unfortunately there is much truth to that.  The Cowboys got by with murder in the 90's, really turned me against them.  The Giants are a much better team tonight, hopefully they will end the season for NE with a loss.  I wonder where NYG82 is?  He's gotta be loving this.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:

I'm not a fan (usually) of back-to-back posts but 28-16 ... New York Giants!!  Fuckin' A!!  This is the largest deficit the Pats have had all season.  What the hell happened to Eli?  Damn, if this guy could play like this consistently he would be top 5 in the NFL.

Update:  It figures.  The NYG's could have put the game away with the last drive but guess what...you guessed it, good 'ol bullshit ref call.  The receiver from the Giants was hit late out of bounds and the call ends up going against the freaking Giants.  Even Chris Collinsworth was saying he didn't know what the refs were seeing.  Fuck this. The NFL is a step away from professional wrestling.  I'm watching a movie.  Looks like the game has been bought and paid for.  Congrads NE, you win.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

History has just been made. Hopefully everyone watched it, because we may go the rest of our lives without seeing a team go 16-0.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

History has just been made. Hopefully everyone watched it, because we may go the rest of our lives without seeing a team go 16-0.

True, in the end the Patriots have been a solid team all year.  I am not convinced they can beat the Colts in the playoffs but regardless, they were very dominant in most games this year and that is a difficult thing to do.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

saw most of it...pretty awesome

what did they break tonight? 4 records?

amazing, and good game too, not like the giants sat everyone and laid down, they made the pats work for it...now the real test begins

Board footer