You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

PaSnow wrote:

My picks:

Seattle
NYG
Jax
SD

I should pick Wash only because I think Seattle's a joke, with no running game & limited offense. What happened to Tampa, I thought they were better but they finished 9-7? How do you win a division at 9-7?! Giants defense might become too much for them. Credit to the NFC East & AFC South, definitely the toughest divisions with 3 playoffs teams with Dallas & Indy going 13-3. These games could go either way, except for the SD game, I think that's about as close to a lock as there will be in the first round of playoffs.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Todd Collins, arguably the best quarterback in NFL history, will lead the Redskins to a Super Bowl Championship.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

What happened to Tampa, I thought they were better but they finished 9-7? How do you win a division at 9-7?! Giants defense might become too much for them.

Yeah, Bucs had an ugly second half of the season. They were on the verge of clinching that terrible division early, and then it almost goes down to the wire. They were so bad, Seattle stole the 3rd seed which was practically a lock for Tampa.

They'll probably beat NY, but Dallas is going to kill them.

Looking at how the last few weeks have played out, I do not think Dallas can be stopped from going to the SB.

Todd Collins, arguably the best quarterback in NFL history, will lead the Redskins to a Super Bowl Championship.

Be careful what you wish for.......:haha:

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

Billick fired after nine seasons as Ravens coach
ESPN.com news services

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Brian Billick was fired as coach of the Baltimore Ravens on Monday, less than a day after his team concluded a disappointing 5-11 season and less than a year after receiving a contract extension through 2010.

Players were told of the dismissal as they packed up their lockers at the team's practice facility.

Only a few weeks ago, Billick proclaimed that he would return in 2008, but Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, who does not speak to the media during the season, made no public statement to that effect.

"I just changed my mind," the owner told The Baltimore Sun on Monday. "I can't explain it to you. It's the toughest decision I've had to make."

Billick won Super Bowl XXXV in his second season with the Ravens, and led the team to a franchise-best 13-3 record in 2006. But Baltimore lost a team-record nine consecutive games this season before ending the skid Sunday with a 27-21 win over Pittsburgh.

"This is the reality of our business," cornerback Samari Rolle said.

Billick took the Ravens to the playoffs in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2006, but Baltimore won only one postseason game since its Super Bowl run after the 2000 season.

"Sometimes the message can get repetitive after a while," 12-year offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden said.

The Ravens expected to compete for the NFL championship this season after bringing back almost every starter from last year's AFC North title-winning team. But injuries and a turnover-prone offense contributed to a complete collapse after a 4-2 start, and Baltimore finished last in the division.

"This year the injury bug not only hit us, [it] hit our prime-time players," linebacker Bart Scott said.

Billick, 53, was hired as Baltimore's second head coach in January 1999, succeeding Ted Marchibroda. In Billick's first season, the Ravens reached .500 (8-8) for the first time. Then he led Baltimore to a 12-4 record and a berth in the Super Bowl, where the Ravens beat the New York Giants 34-7.

Billick was 80-64 as Ravens coach. He came to Baltimore a year after coordinating the Vikings offense to a then-NFL record 556 points in 1998.

"I'm not saying I agree with it," kicker Matt Stover said of Billick's dismissal, "but sometimes things have to change."

Sunday, following what proved to be his final game as coach, Billick said of the victory, "It was great. Hopefully, that's a sign of things to come."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/stor … LHeadlines

James

James wrote:

Billick is a good coach, but I agree with this move. Its in the best interest of him and the Ravens. He actually should have been fired after letting Dilfer go and then signing Elvis Grbac to a big contract thinking he was gonna take that team to a SB. Dilfer was never great, but he was PERFECT for that team. He played a role similar to Jim Mcmahon's role with the Bears. Ravens could have repeated with Dilfer in that lineup.

Ravens have to make some quick moves. Dump the Kyle Boller experiment, put McNair out to pasture, and then go after a veteran QB. Running game is stable, but they need at least one really good WR. Defense isn't as good as it used to be, but with a decent offense, that team can go to the playoffs.

Billick will get a job somewhere else next season.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Marv Levy steps down as Buffalo Bills' general manager
56 minutes ago

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - Marv Levy stepped down as the Buffalo Bills general manager Monday, confident he has the team headed in the right direction despite a second consecutive 7-9 finish.

"It has been an experience that I have enjoyed immensely," Levy said in a statement released by the Bills. "Despite an unprecedented number of season-ending injuries, Dick Jauron, his coaching staff and an admirable core of high-character players are heading in the right direction."

"If my contributions to their efforts have been meaningful, I then take my leave from One Bills Drive, thankful and gratified," said Levy, who had a two-year contract.

The announcement came hours after the 82-year-old Hall of Fame coach opened Buffalo's final team meeting by informing the players of his decision to move on.

The Bills failed to make the playoffs for an eighth straight year, the longest drought in franchise history, losing Sunday to Philadelphia, 17-9.

Levy, who had the option to renew his contract, informed the Bills of his desire to move on in a meeting with team owner Ralph Wilson last week.

"I will always be grateful for his service," Wilson said. "When we needed new focus and direction, Marv improved our organization's morale, attitude and environment: All of that, plus the stability we needed to move forward."

I'm not saying he was a great GM, but him leaving is a bad thing. Bringing in a new GM could very well mean another new coach, another new QB-RB combo, another new defensive scheme. I'm sick of rebuilding. 8 years since we've had a playoff game (a franchise record, btw) and I feel like this team with fewer injuries and a better Offensive coordinator could've made the playoffs. Now... shit might hit the fan again.

James

James wrote:

I have all the respect in the world for Levy, but I think this is a good move. Levy played a major role in the success of that late 80's/early 90's Bills team, but its time to put him out to pasture.

Wilson will probably limit what the next GM can do. Like you said, that team has basically been in rebuilding mode since they threw Flutie to the dogs, and I would imagine they would like to attempt to make a run now instead of looking to the future again.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Noone can deny what Levy has done.  He has solidified his place forever in the history of the franchise and has accomplished some great things but that was then and this is now.  Things are slowly looking better for Buffalo and a new GM could bring a much needed jolt to a franchise who has been fairly stale for the last decade.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I'm not saying he was a great GM, but him leaving is a bad thing. Bringing in a new GM could very well mean another new coach, another new QB-RB combo, another new defensive scheme. I'm sick of rebuilding. 8 years since we've had a playoff game (a franchise record, btw) and I feel like this team with fewer injuries and a better Offensive coordinator could've made the playoffs. Now... shit might hit the fan again.

One thing they're not giving up on is Marshawn Lynch. That guys a player & a good move in letting Willis McGahee go. Bills should stick with Trent Edwards. He's like a Trent Dilfer, isn't great but can keep you in games. For a rookie that's pretty good. They're in a pretty good position for next year, I don't know much about them, but myb drafting a stud WR or TE, and getting LB Posluzny back along with another defensive draft pick & myb a free agent (bring TKO back if he gets cut) , could be looking good next year.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Yeah I think the Bills are definatly on the right track. Just keep building. Lynch can be the guy you build around on offense. You have a pro bowl left tackle and we all know how hard those are to come by. Edwards has shown enough as a rookie to warrant giving him a chance.

Board footer