You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

jorge76 wrote:

The Lions fired Mike Martz.

I suppose they have to shake things up, but that's about the last thing I would have expected them to do.  I don't think the guy was much of a head coach, but he was born to be an O Coordinator.

They're already saying San Fran's gonna pick him up.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

They need to fire Matt Millen before he drafts another WR in the first round again.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

IMO Martz was part of the problem. He is way too quick to abandon the run, and of course, that seems to not be what the head coach is about. He seems to want to go towards a more balance attack. Unless you have Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, Torry Holt, and Issac Bruce (in their primes) on your team, I wouldnt touch what Martz is all about.

PA, I would normally agree with you, but I really dont see anyway that they could have passed on Calvin Johnson this past year. I certainly wouldnt, no matter how bad a I bungled the previous drafts with WRs. If Johnson can stay healthy next year, he is a stud. Watch the Lions draft a QB in the first round, and that QB and Johnson will grow together in the league and put nice numbers up.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I agree with you about Martz & not running. For Millen, CJ is a good player but IMHO Detroit should NOT get a WR, RB, or QB in the first round. They always draft them (Harrington, Kevin Jones, Too many WR's to list). Defense wins championships. Plus QB's are so hit or miss early on, JaMarcus Russel looks like crap so far, Alex Smith has 1 more year before giving up on him, Eli & Rivers are hanging in there. Odds of them suceeding are about as good in the 2nd or 3rd rd anyway. Look are Romo, Warner, Derek Anderson etc

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

If I was Detroit, I would look for a QB, but if there isnt one there in the 1st that is worthy of that draft pick, you gotta go Best player available, as long as it is not a WR at this point. But you are right on the defense part. They need a lot of help there.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Honestly, I know this sounds crazy, but I think Colt Brennan will be the best pro QB of this year. And the last few. He might even fall into the 2nd round, since all playoff teams have a good QB (possibly except TB since Garcia is old, Seattle might look at him as the future). Anyway, I know he looked awful against Georgia but they were sacking him with a 3 man rush?! I don't care if it's Reggie White, Bruce Smith & Warren Sapp on the D-Line you shouldn't get blitzed off a 3 man rush. O-Line was high school caliber.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

Yeah the offensive line was brutal in that game. But he will be facing more of that in the NFL. But I gotta agree with you, you're crazy! wink Personally I think Brohm or Woodson will be the best of the QBs. But its hard to tell at this point. THere isnt one really that you look at and go "that guy will be a franchise QB". I just dont like Brennan much and I think Ryan is over-hyped. Man I cant wait till the draft!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Bills quarterback J.P Losman wants out of Buffalo, unhappy with how he lost his starting job to rookie Trent Edwards this past season.

Losman's agent, Gary Wichard, told The Associated Press on Friday that his client would prefer to be traded, but added Losman would play out the final year of his contract if necessary. Wichard said he has not yet spoken to the Bills because the team is seeking a new general manager after Marv Levy stepped down earlier this week.

Whether the Bills choose to keep Losman, Wichard said he didn't see any chance of Losman remaining with the team after next season.

"That ship has sailed, my friend," Wichard said. "Hopefully, they do something this year.

"If not, we'll just walk away after next year."

Wichard said he spoke out now because he knew how unhappy his client is. He said he and Losman didn't want to air their views during the season so not to cause a distraction to the team.

Losman declined numerous interview requests over the final weeks of the season, and also after Bills players cleaned out their lockers Monday after a 7-9 finish, in which Buffalo missed the playoffs for a franchise record eighth consecutive season.

"I give him credit for handling this thing the way he has," Wichard said. "But at the end, he said, `I'm out of here."'

The Bills were not immediately available for comment.

well now...who is gonna take a chance on this guy

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well now...who is gonna take a chance on this guy

Actually it wouldn't be a bad pickup for alot of teams.. Not necesarily as a starter, but as a backup with a chance to compete for the #1 spot in training camp. Teams like the Jets, SF, Miami, ATL, STL, KC, Balt and probably 1 or 2 others need a starting QB, and a decent backup QB as well. I'd possibly trade a 4th rd pick for him. Nothing higher, but it never hurts to have some competition. This guys crazy though if he thinks he's good enough to be GIVEN a starting job, I'd look at it like the Browns of this year, Charlie Frye & Derek Anderson 1 & 2, but Anderson beat him out & won in the end. That's the best JP can hope for, a #2 spot with a chance. Although, that's kinda what he had in Buffalo isn't it?? 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Losman is gonna have a tough time getting a job, and that aint no lie. Those teams you listed do need a QB, but they don't need to make their QB problems worse by signing Losman.

He's a 3rd string QB at best, and might wind up playing in the CFL or Arena Football.

Board footer