You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Re: Slash album reviews

Gong wrote:

On topic: Doesn't the whole concept of "album reviews" seem terribly out-dated and 20th century to any one else besides me?

Why read some random jackass's opinion, when you can just torrent it and make up your own mind?

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Completely valid opinion.  I disagree (assuming Slash gets the name too), but we will never know who is right.

OK...assume Slash has the name but has 4 other hired hands around him (no Izzy or Duff). That is the only fair comparison to Axl's current situation with his hired hands. In this case, I think Axl would outsell Slash.

Now, if you took Slash, Duff, Izzy,either Popcorn or Sorum (plus say this Myles Kennedy guy) out as Guns N' Roses, then I think you would see it  even.

I think people are completely disregarding the effort Slash puts in to marketing.  He did it in the old band when he was wasted, but he does a much better job of it now. 

Lets discuss a more plauseable situation:  It's 2010.  Axl never keeps the name and goes out and does what he did without the name GnR and Slash does the same thing with his band.  Both tour at the same time - Slash promotes his, Axl doesn't.  What logical reason would there be for Axl outselling Slash in that case?  I can't think of one unless you really think Axl has THAT many more fans than Slash does.  Why would both bands being named GnR make that different?

I think it would be about the same. Slash gets by on hard work....Axl gets by on being a pain in the ass "recluse". 16

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Since you called me an Axl nutswinger and blind defender, let me answer it this way... The comparison you're giving about Axl fans not giving Slash any credit and try to discredit him at evert turn... That's kind of what happens to Axl by Slash fans... Then, of course, you're called a nutswinger when you defend them. Not saying you never give Axl respect, but you can't deny the same doesn't apply to Slash fans who try to discredit any success Axl has.

See?  This is the point.  It doesn't "kind of" happen from most Axl fans.  It happens, and in great numbers of posts (usually from a very small vocal minority).  Admittedly it is not as bad here as it is at other sites, but it happens.  Do some Slash fans bash Axl?  Absolutely.

This is certainly a huge generalization.  There are exceptions to the rule on both sides, but generally speaking, my impression is that my statement is correct.  Perhaps that is because I am biased, but it is my impression.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I don't really understand, in a capitalist venture, why there's some sort of stigma of "selling out".

"If you do something good, never do it for free" - The Joker

Which is why prostitutes are the smartest people on the face of the planet in terms of business venture.

(that me be an over-exaggeration..) 16

True, but that's kind of like illegal music downloading.

The man as the consumer of the sex then turns around and says, "why buy the cow, when I can get the milk for free?"

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I don't really understand, in a capitalist venture, why there's some sort of stigma of "selling out".

"If you do something good, never do it for free" - The Joker

Which is why prostitutes are the smartest people on the face of the planet in terms of business venture.

(that me be an over-exaggeration..) 16

True, but that's kind of like illegal music downloading.

The man as the consumer of the sex then turns around and says, "why buy the cow, when I can get the milk for free?"

Unless he can't get the milk, or the milk is spoiled.  22

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yes...I like to go to the store and pay to grab some milk when i need a drink, without having a cow living in my house. wink wink

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i'm loving this album...everytime i listen it gets better...and the louder it is the more stuff i can hear...

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The album is solid as hell, there isn't a song I don't like on some level...  And that solo on "By the Sword" just has so much damn emotion.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i'm loving this album...everytime i listen it gets better...and the louder it is the more stuff i can hear...

It's certainly mixed and produced very well isn't it. Everything sounds so clear!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

My apologies to Buzz and mikka, no need for me to call anyone a fanboy or a joke. I still think what I think, I agree with you on some stuff and think you're totally wrong on other shit, but I didn't have to go that route to do it.

Board footer