You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Rumors building up regarding CDII release date...

Olorin wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

I understand that most of this remnant from greater boards is American BUT you have to wake the fuck up.GNR canot play Reading simple as. I don't thin you get this shit. I explaine it earler. Its not a hard rock gig. Original GNR would take shit here, Axl's Angels havent got a uck of a chance without something stronger than CD to their names.

SO either thye

1 Fuck it up

2Pull out

or

3 Release an album its fucked

THIS IS MAKE OR BREAK  Get It??

Much more important than talking shot for days over a fucking soundgarden reuinion where saikin defends Chris' shit rendition of pretty noose just because he's from the same City ha ha fuck heads.

Wake the fuck up

Sober up man.

GNR will do fine, its a music festival, end of story. Only way any real hostility will happen is if Axl isnt punctual, and they have promised to not to be late. I think the Friday will be a good day out, expensive though.
Readings full of wee poofters and mummys boys anyway, hardly the toughest gig in the world 14

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.readingfestival.com/home/

I think he is done.....seriously, if you HEADLINE a MAJOR music festival at 47 with no original band members it does not count. Axl should give his check to the Arctic Monkeys...a cool supposedly relevant band.....

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

I would love a new album, I'm still holding on to the dream I'll have a new album to play this Christmas. But these latest "rumours" have been started on mygnr by mygnr members, sarcasticly at that imo.

They "should have" released a video to support the tour, but they didnt. A new album with all the trimmings to support a Euro/US tour would apparantly be logical, hence it wont happen, and the same incognito approach to promotion will continue.

Thats my new philosophy nowadays, a kind of reverse psychology. I've noticed when everyone is expecting anything off GNR nothing happens, but when noone has any expectations of them, they are more for forthcoming. So there will be no new album, no videos, no CD rerelease, they will be late at Reading, there will be riots, and my lottery numbers absolutely will not come up tonight so I wont be able to buy that house across town I want more than anything tongue

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Axls in the doldrums, he hates his band, he hates his music, he hates his fans, he hates his life.

Axl on suicide watch:

http://jezebel.com/5522890/toy-boy

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Poor Axl. I only two girls?

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

Fedora + Blue Blockers + Fu Manchu = Creepy

Sky Dog wrote:

I love the Fu Manchu....could do without the Fedora!

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

I like it too, it's just creepy in combination with the other things.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Go searching the concerts attended thread and some other pointless thread about CD setlists.  All I can go by is what I have experienced personally.  Maybe I'm the lucky one when it comes to concerts I've attended, but my experiences have been bands playing most and in some cases all of their new material when touring to support that album.  Admittedly none of those bands toured for the same album 4-5 times with 4-5 different lineups, so it is an apples to oranges comparison.

Really?! Concert attendence?! Jeez....  roll

I know.  How dare I use actual life experiences to make a point.  The nerve of some people...using real life to support a point of view on the internet.  I mean, 100 or so concerts is such a small sample size anyway...

You're not making ANY good arguments dude!

If you're around 25-30yrs old and a diehard musiclover, attending a 100 concerts in your lifetime is not something I would throw around to prove ANY point man! How many festivals would you have to attend to see 100 gigs? Not many at all! Even if it was a 100 GNR-concerts, it still wouldn't prove your silly argument! 

This actual-life-experience of yours fell flat to the ground man!

5-7 new songs is above average for ANY band, EVERYONE knows that!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

How many albums does DL have?  Regardless, I have listed several bands that have played their entire album, and most of those bands were much bigger than this GnR is.  If the bands you're seeing have everyone bailing when the new stuff plays, maybe you need to see more current bands, not washed up ones.

I prefer washed up bands, but thanks for the suggestion.

Def Leppard has 11 albums and each time I've seen them it's pretty much the "Hysteria" tour with some other classics thrown in.  I bought "Songs From the Sparkle Lounge" and actually liked it.  Would've liked to have heard more than TWO songs from it live, but that's all they played.  The same 2 songs, the entire tour.

Another band to reference.  A little more relevant than Def Leppard.  Now you can knock Bon Jovi all you want, and I encourage it.  I haven't liked much of anything they've done since 1991, BUT they're still hugely successful.  They recently put out an album, "The Circle", and are out doing a massive tour to promote it.  They're playing FIVE songs from the album out of 20+ total songs.

Pearl Jam is playing anywhere from 3-7 new songs a night, but on average 5.  They vary their setlist unlike any band I've ever seen though, but still they aren't coming close to playing the entire album.

I'm not saying your wrong, Buzz.  Obviously, you were there in person, so I trust you.  But just because you've witnessed it firsthand doesn't make it common for most bands.

All of these bands you mention have one thing in common: more than 4 albums of original material...in fact, much more than 4 in these cases.  The shows I saw (REM being an exception I clearly remember) were mostly bands with 2-5 albums, so a much smaller catalog to choose from.  Those bands also didn't play as many cover songs as they played original songs off of their current album.  REM actually played almost everything off their last 2 albums when I saw them, but it was a very long show.

I've been to enough concerts over the years to trust my experience.  The only exceptions people are seeming to find are with bands that have been around as long as GnR has, but that also have been active during the times GnR hasn't been.  The more hits you have, the less you can play the current CD.  I get that, but what is Axl's excuse? 

He has basically 4 full albums of original material (removing the covers and adding the Lies stuff).  They have WTTJ, SCOM, PC, Patience, YCBM, NR, and Estranged that were significant singles (maybe I'm forgetting one).  One of those never gets played, so there are 6 out of 19 songs that they have to play at every show.  Add a few more fillers that people want to hear and we'll call it 10.  That leaves room for 9 songs off of CD without adding a second to the length of the show.  I'm not saying they even have to play all 9 every show, but 4-5 standards without even mixing in the others is not what I would expect from a band with such a small library.

You make some very valid points and a good argument, BUT I think you have to view GNR differently than other bands.  I don't know if there has ever been a band like GNR.  In the sense that they had such a huge impact on the music world with such a small catalog.  They only released 4 albums of original material prior to CD.  Yet they became one of the biggest bands in the world in the early 90's.  So it's tough to argue they should only be playing 10 songs from their glory era live these days.  And it's real tough to suggest that they should only play 3 songs from AFD.  That album was monumental, it's hard to argue they shouldn't include Mr. Brownstone, It's So Easy, and Nightrain.  And Rocket Queen happens to be my favorite song of all time, so personally I'd like to include that and it has seem to become a staple.  So I'd say they should play 6/7 songs off of AFD, which they have been doing.  Honestly, I have NO argument with the setlists.  I think they're well structured.  You've got a little something for everyone.  6/7 AFD, 1 Lies, 4/5 UYI, 5-7 CD.

And another thing about GNR's catalog.  It may not be extensive in terms of number of albums, but they give you the most bang for your buck on each album.  The UYI's and CD 14+ songs, 70+ minutes.  Lots of bands from yesteryear AND today release albums that are much shorter.  I bought the new Pearl Jam album, which I LOVED, but it's like 32 minutes long.  Van Halen has some very short albums in their catalog.  I realize you get more 3-4 minute raido friendly songs that way, but that's never really been what GNR is about.

Board footer