You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Rumors building up regarding CDII release date...

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Sorry. But I was purposely staying out of the Slash threads where you are falling all over yourself about how great he's playing these days because I didn't want to start an unnecessary argument.

Mission accomplished

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
russtcb wrote:

just wanted to quote this to make sure it's real. I'm glad that DJ has at least made one person appreciate Robin more. 9

The recent Slash clips do more damage to the legacy of Finck and DJ because its becoming pretty damn obvious if it wasn't already that is almost impossbile to successfully replace Slash, just as it would be equally impossible to replace Axl.  Both DJ and Finck may be great guitar players, but neither are right for GNR.  To me, the only one that "worked" and got Axl was Bucket, and his ass hit the road too.  I like Fortus a lot and don't really have any issue with him, and Ron is a really cool guy, but Ron doesn't have a great GNR guitar tone and sometimes wanks too much.

I don't think Slash sounds nearly as good as you think he does in those new clips. And I still think Robin plays all era material as good or better than Slash does. So he was perfect for GN'R as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry. But I was purposely staying out of the Slash threads where you are falling all over yourself about how great he's playing these days because I didn't want to start an unnecessary argument.

Lol, sorry but I had to chime in here.  Just listen to the way he butchers the NR solo...I know he's doing his thing or whatever but compared to the original it sounds horrible.  Robin Finck is not a bad guitar player, but he was not the guitar play for GN'R.

Sky Dog wrote:

he was right for the new Gnr...

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

Robin's work in the studio is fantastic IMO.

His work is overshadowed by Bucket (of course) but his solos on Better, Street of Dreams and TWAT are very tasteful.

Sky Dog wrote:

agree and he is a nice "chunky" riffer...

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I think his first TWAT solo is like nectar for the ears, its so simple and yet the feeling he manages to capture and convey in those short moments is exquisite.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm gonna have to go after this one, so forgive me...

Smoking Guns wrote:

The recent Slash clips do more damage to the legacy of Finck and DJ because its becoming pretty damn obvious if it wasn't already that is almost impossbile to successfully replace Slash, just as it would be equally impossible to replace Axl.

Not really. Alot of people put far too much weight on Robin & DJ for their role as 'lead guitarist'. Frankly, this is NO lead guitarist in Guns N' Roses anymore. There's three guitarists, who all contribute to the songs, and hell, Ron said Axl wanted a fourth.

Buckethead is probably the most obvious example, and usuable example. Bucket's wrote great stuff over the years, by himself, and also contribute to the very fabric of Chinese. Although Bucket brought a different flavor to GN'R, because he's a technical shredder, let's keep in mind, that we never got to, so far, see Bucket perform his TWAT solo live, we never got to see the bluesy and soulful solos of If The World & Sorry performed live by Bucket, and if we had, there is a big possibility that guitar work could've went down in the annals of GN'R history, right alongside Slash's stuff.

Well if my uncle had wheels and peddles he'd be a bicycle, yeah I know, but considering how many solos Slash butchered over the years, I think we can safely pit studio work vs. studio work in this case, and in that case - yes - Slash is replaceable. Just because it never got off the ground business-wise doesn't mean it wasn't possible conceptually & musically.

As for Axl... hard rock blues guitarists come a DIME A DOZEN. Granted Slash is one of the best, but unique? No sir, never really was, short of the top hat.

Axl has a very distictive, unique voice. A unique sound, that cannot be duplicated, which has been proven.

Slash has been duplicated many times, and in some cases - surpassed.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Both DJ and Finck may be great guitar players, but neither are right for GNR.  To me, the only one that "worked" and got Axl was Bucket, and his ass hit the road too.  I like Fortus a lot and don't really have any issue with him, and Ron is a really cool guy, but Ron doesn't have a great GNR guitar tone and sometimes wanks too much.

I agree with this. The right guy for new Guns is not currently with them, and it's not Slash. One could say, well being exposed to new Guns with Robin & Bucket, Bucket's ability overshadowed Robin's. Well, I hate to break the news, but if Robin had been the sole lead guitarist for the new band, Slash's omission would've been even more glaring.

Ron could possibly be the real replacement. He's got Bucket-like chops, but with the rock n' roll presentation. He's also great with the fans. Problem is, we just don't know what he brings to the table, good or bad. He's great live on GN'R stuff, but what do we really know he brings to the table. His solo stuff is underwhelming, and all signs point to Axl sticking with that vault of music, and as long as he does that, you're never gonna hear original stuff from the 2009-10 band.

It's just really stupid. If you're gonna keep performing Bucket & Robin's material, why not just bring them back?

And as for Slash's recent performances, really proves nothing about his irreplacability So Slash can perform songs he's been playing for 20 years, good for him. Maybe now I can agree with you and say "where's Slash" listening to those AFD songs, but when I was hearing Bucket's soloing on GN'R back catalog stuff in 2002, Slash was a very distant memory. Especially on Nightrain. Bucket literally took Slash's material and went "wow, really good. Now here's how you do it better".

The irony is new Guns going on and on, has made the heart grow fonder for Slash, but for all the reasons no one ever expected. "The Band" they had, was in 2001. In 2006-07 & 2009-10, we're only asking for Slash, because we think Bucket's less likely.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

hell, Ron said Axl wanted a fourth.

I think Ron was taking the piss tongue

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Umm, I don't think so... Brian May said something similar years ago.

In 2006, I think Axl wanted Robin, Ron, Richard & Brian all on stage at the same time for Catcher, and I thought Robin, Ron, Richard & Izzy were all on stage at the same time during the classic GN'R song performances in 2006.

I think Axl legitimately has wanted it for years.

Board footer