You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: NA tour rumor

monkeychow wrote:

I think a usa tour of this nature will eventually happen, but I also think richard going on tour elsewhere, and bumble doing lessons and stuff shows it's not happening in the short term.

Also in the longer term replacing richard might be easy, but at short notice, no, you'd have to get someone new and rehearse with the band as to how to split the songs up into 3 parts - who plays what where, stage moves, the general way the GNR machine operates. Any one of the players not being there fucks with what everyone else does in the song...working out that stuff would take time.

Also - there's no reason for richard to quit - GNR is a good top level gig - I think he's pretty much just doing stuff in GNR downtime like he's done previously.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If Richard died tomorrow morning and they had a show that night, nobody would know he wasn't there. Sad, but quite true.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

If Richard died tomorrow morning and they had a show that night, nobody would know he wasn't there. Sad, but quite true.

That's a heartless comment.  Your average fan of course wouldn't notice or care, but the other 7 guys in the band would certainly know and care.  And I'll guarantee you there wouldn't be a show that night, or anywhere in the near future.  However inconsequential you might think Richard is, it would at the very least take time to get a replacement for him up to speed as monkey mentioned earlier.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It wasn't a literal statement, it was pointing out how little he matters.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Despite how much I love everyone in the band...

They'd ALL be like that with the exception of Dizzy.

Not that they're not talented. The audience doesn't care, because Axl never made them care or made them accept current GN'R as legacy GN'R.

His lack of motivation, promo, and new material to push convinces audiences to not give a shit. Only Axl failed at replacing Slash. Never any of his very talented roster of players of the last 15 years.

faldor

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It wasn't a literal statement, it was pointing out how little he matters.

It was just the wording.  He's important to the band, not the fans.  I think that's what you were getting at, but a lot of people do think they could replace him at the drop of a hat and I don't think those people give him enough credit.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Didn't quite know where to put this, but I found this amusing.  These words could've easily be spoken by Axl himself.  But, Miley Cyrus?  If SHE can't win over fans in the US, how can we expect Axl to.

http://www.wwtdd.com/2011/04/america-hates-miley-cyrus/

“I just think right now America has gotten to a place where I don’t know if they want me to tour or not. Right now I just want to go to the places where I am getting the most love and Australia and South America have done that for me,” she said. “Kind of going to the places where I get the most love. Don’t want to go anywhere where I don’t feel completely comfortable with it.”

Sky Dog wrote:

and in all honesty, there is nothing wrong with that.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

In all honesty, and in the defense of both Axl & Miley - America just doesn't dig concerts anymore. I don't really know what happened. The economy, unemployment, the attitude of going back to post-Civil War isolationism, this idea that any kind of musical indulgment is excess, Ticketmaster charging a $20 fucking dollar convience fee... something changed.

I'm not even sure Lady GaGa could grab this country by the balls anymore. And if SHE can't do it when she's fucking nuclear right now - no one can. 50's Elvis couldn't.

It's a shame really. Americans used to like going to a show. The boomers are getting too old, and Gen Z just doesn't care.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Yeah, I agree with madagas that's I actually see it as a good sign that America doesn't want to see Miley Cyrus tour.  But it does surprise me.  I thought she was popular with the kids. 

Axlin may be onto something though.  Maybe it doesn't matter who it is, the touring industry across the board is down in the US.  I will say, the convenience fees are a load of crap and the ticket prices for certain venues are ridiculous.  There are 2 shows I've been looking to buy tickets for this summer.  Def Leppard/Heart and Motley Crue/Poison.  Both are at the Mohegan Sun Arena, which is always high priced.  Def tickets are around $85 and Crue are around $110.  I just don't know if I want to see either of those shows THAT much, unless I can get really sweet seats, which aren't available right now.

Board footer