You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: MyGNR closing for business

tejastech08 wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

Thank god this place is solid.

I don't know how anyone stays at MYGNR after this drama bullshit.

The trolls love wallowing in their own feces. 22

ppp

ppp wrote:

Freedom of speech typically applies to the government. If people were being arrested for discussing Axl's pubic hair, I could understand the outcry.

However I see nothing wrong with an internet fan site saying to people "Sorry, but you're not going to spam our message board with crap topics about pubic hair, what someone eats, and where they walk their dog. And you're not going to derail every topic into a fight, or come here just to get a rise out of the fans by insulting the band over and over again."

That kind of stuff is what runs off your intelligent posters and it's exactly what happened at MYGNR. Who wants to flip through 3 pages of crap just to find the news? Not when you can come here and find it instantly, because that stuff isn't allowed.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
ppp wrote:

Freedom of speech typically applies to the government. If people were being arrested for discussing Axl's pubic hair, I could understand the outcry.

However I see nothing wrong with an internet fan site saying to people "Sorry, but you're not going to spam our message board with crap topics about pubic hair, what someone eats, and where they walk their dog. And you're not going to derail every topic into a fight, or come here just to get a rise out of the fans by insulting the band over and over again."

That kind of stuff is what runs off your intelligent posters and it's exactly what happened at MYGNR. Who wants to flip through 3 pages of crap just to find the news? Not when you can come here and find it instantly, because that stuff isn't allowed.

You have to walk a fine line though. The MSL stuff was not trolling. It was discussed openly on this forum. At HTGTH, it was completely banned. That is what I'm talking about when I say freedom of speech. Now there is a lot of stupid shit at MYGNR and I'm glad 99% of it isn't on this forum. 16

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Earlier post -
GNRX was a great place. The original NewGNR wasn't too bad either. I avoided MyGNR because 1.) the forum software wasn' that great/looked like crap, 2.) it was lowest common denominator.

The last few years I don't know really how it got better or worse, but the pure volume made it important to check because things would hit there first. On the other hand, that was sort of a waste of time.

Anyway...

Seems like Eric's big failure was monetizing. There's a lot of ways to put ads in a forum. I've seen places that put ads in the place where posts are every now and then. 'Sponsor Message' and all that. He also did a piss poor job of making donating seem important. Besides seeing a few vanity buttons near user avatars, there really was squat. There's a way to be transparent without begging, if that's what he was afraid of. "Give the gift of MyGNR...to yourself!" donation drive around Christmas. SOMETHING.

But it's probably...
1.) It's expensive and not self-sustaining in terms of money or time, or energy that gets put in.
2.) There's not a lot of positive things happening to go on from a fan stand point.
3.) Whatever hobby or thing he wants to focus on, he still has a few thousand bastard children in his Internet slum to worry about.
4.) Winter can be depressing.
5.) The band doesn't even really like you.

And then it turns into..."damnit, shut it down..   or sell. or whatever. maybe"

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Ive said for years u have these fucking groupie fans on GNR forums whose sole purpose is to try and get the attention of the band. People kiss ass and hope maybe they will get that golden email inviting them to a show or a tour or an afterparty, so they pander with every post etc.

I think thats what happened to Madison and possibly Eric.

Madison use to go to GNR shows and stuff correct? Then didn't something happen and she no longer got those invites? She got pissed and started the GNR "rumors"

I wonder, if after this latest go round, if Eric was informed maybe he no longer would be getting the hookup, therefore said fuck it, i don't want a forum if im not gonna be rewarded?

If someone runs a fan forum hoping for financial gain, they are delusional.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
ppp wrote:

You have to walk a fine line though. The MSL stuff was not trolling. It was discussed openly on this forum. At HTGTH, it was completely banned. That is what I'm talking about when I say freedom of speech. Now there is a lot of stupid shit at MYGNR and I'm glad 99% of it isn't on this forum. 16

The MSL stuff was spoken about openly here but it went absolutely nowhere and numerous threads were started and locked because they got so ridiculous.  The MSL saga had its 15 minutes of fame and that was about it.  So while it was spoken about here, we really wouldn't have missed out on much if it wasn't.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Aussie wrote:

If Eric wanted to step away from the forum surely he would have decided either to simply pull the plug and let it die, or a more savvy person would say why don't I try and sell it if possible.

You then advertise the fact that you wish to sell the forum, perhaps even approach the GNR camp to guage any interest in buying it.

I don't understand it, is he trying to suggest that he only now has contemplated selling it?  That would be the first thing I would think of doing if I was him, seeing if it was saleable.  He has presumably sunk in a lot more $$'s than he has got out of it so why wouldn't you look at that option first?

But the way he has gone about it it seems like an afterthought and he has already devalued the site by announcing its closure and so members started signing up elsewhere etc.

As for someone contemplating buying it and then relying on donations to make it viable, good luck with that one!

No shit man. The worst marketing strategy ever. The behavior is erratic and makes no sense.

First announce you're going to close (people head to the doors and sign up elsewhere.)

Then you don't close, and won't answer when. Could be "any minute" though.

Finally, a moderator (not you) announces that they may be open to selling although time is running out, and we may close before the details are ironed out.

In the meantime we'll ask for donations to cover the spread, and see if we execute a sale with the mystery buyer before the lights are turned out.

What???

Surely this guy was capable of understanding that he could have simply put if up for sale and walked away clean with some cash for his troubles?

What is any new owner going to do now? Take a negative cash flow website and make it profitable after announcing it has closed/or will close? It was a niche site to begin with, and in it's glory days still was a money loser. So what is any new owner going to do? Any buyer of this site is a moron who needs to validate himself somehow and is willing to pay for it. Furthermore once they look at their monthly bills, they'll loosen up their posting etiquette in hopes of keeping traffic, and in turn raise their risk of liability from Axl's sue happy ass.

What a fucking mess. Ironically, and once again, what's happening on a GNR board is the biggest news in the world of GNR.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Oh and the design is so crappy it always put me off going there

Aussie
 Rep: 287 

Aussie wrote:

Well it appears that UK Subs one of the admins there is buying the site.

Sky Dog wrote:
DCK wrote:

Oh and the design is so crappy it always put me off going there

no doubt...atrocious design and the news ticker flashes stuff from two years ago. I actually wish it would go away so I have one less place to peak at.:peace:

Board footer