You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: MyGNR closing for business

slcpunk wrote:

Poor BBA, he pitched so hard to buy it, although he never had a chance.

I'm curious to see how this works now. Will peeps come back? I'm going to guess there will be this honeymoon period and then you'll see the complaints crank up about how it's changed.

Sheeesh.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Ali wrote:

I think ppp was kind of saying this earlier, but I'll say it again and point to specific examples.  I can't help but look at two things:

1) In January of last year, Madison "reported" that Axl had ordered a Slash apparel ban at the Winnipeg show and she never, ever was able to prove that Axl himself actually asked for this as opposed to someone doing this on Axl's behalf, like when Doug Goldstein banned Slash from the two Joint shows in 2001.

Madison single-handedly contributed to the propagation of this rumor.  There is no doubt about that.

2)  The discussion of the MSL documents and the rumors of what it contained were damaging enough that a member of the band, Ron, felt compelled  to go to MyGNR and defend himself against these allegations.

Both of these things happened on Eric's forum, a FAN forum.

Why in the hell should these things ever happen on a FAN forum for the band in question?  At a certain point, you have to step back and say, "Is this really functioning as a fan forum now?"

To me, no fan forum should have this effect on the band they are dedicated to.  Madison wasn't acting as a fan when she did what she did, she was acting as a reporter.  MSL wasn't acting as a fan when he did what he did, he was acting like a greedy, selfish, inconsiderate fool.

Should this behavior take place and/or be discussed and rewarded on a forum dedicated to supporting a band?  No.

Like I said, I've been on fan forums for Queensryche and Iron Maiden and some others, and never, ever seen anything like this kind of crap happen there.

Ali

Not buying your line of thinking. Freedom of speech is important. If people want to talk about Axl's pubic hair, then they should be free to do so. Hell, MyGNR pretty much does that all the time. 16

Freedom of speech does not apply to a private enterprise or operation like this, as ppp said.  It's like a restaurant that has a sign that says "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". 

If you want to talk about things to the point of stirring damaging rumors,  or whatever the hell else you want that's fine.  But, at the same time don't claim you are functioning as a FAN forum.  It's not quite like that, in all honesty.

Ali

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Ali wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Ali wrote:

I think ppp was kind of saying this earlier, but I'll say it again and point to specific examples.  I can't help but look at two things:

1) In January of last year, Madison "reported" that Axl had ordered a Slash apparel ban at the Winnipeg show and she never, ever was able to prove that Axl himself actually asked for this as opposed to someone doing this on Axl's behalf, like when Doug Goldstein banned Slash from the two Joint shows in 2001.

Madison single-handedly contributed to the propagation of this rumor.  There is no doubt about that.

2)  The discussion of the MSL documents and the rumors of what it contained were damaging enough that a member of the band, Ron, felt compelled  to go to MyGNR and defend himself against these allegations.

Both of these things happened on Eric's forum, a FAN forum.

Why in the hell should these things ever happen on a FAN forum for the band in question?  At a certain point, you have to step back and say, "Is this really functioning as a fan forum now?"

To me, no fan forum should have this effect on the band they are dedicated to.  Madison wasn't acting as a fan when she did what she did, she was acting as a reporter.  MSL wasn't acting as a fan when he did what he did, he was acting like a greedy, selfish, inconsiderate fool.

Should this behavior take place and/or be discussed and rewarded on a forum dedicated to supporting a band?  No.

Like I said, I've been on fan forums for Queensryche and Iron Maiden and some others, and never, ever seen anything like this kind of crap happen there.

Ali

Not buying your line of thinking. Freedom of speech is important. If people want to talk about Axl's pubic hair, then they should be free to do so. Hell, MyGNR pretty much does that all the time. 16

Freedom of speech does not apply to a private enterprise or operation like this, as ppp said.  It's like a restaurant that has a sign that says "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". 

If you want to talk about things to the point of stirring damaging rumors,  or whatever the hell else you want that's fine.  But, at the same time don't claim you are functioning as a FAN forum.  It's not quite like that, in all honesty.

Ali

Jesus, that Jarmo guy is censoring even the band member interviews! Don't act like freedom of speech means anything to Axl and his puppets. You're really in the wrong place if you support those jarmoish actions. Tejastech was right in his posts, just you don't wanna get the point and try to hijack the conversation. Won't work here, but try HTGTH.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Poor Jarmo....

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Ali wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Ali

Jesus, that Jarmo guy is censoring even the band member interviews! Don't act like freedom of speech means anything to Axl and his puppets. You're really in the wrong place if you support those jarmoish actions. Tejastech was right in his posts, just you don't wanna get the point and try to hijack the conversation. Won't work here, but try HTGTH.

The mods here delete bullshit from the forums. No different than what Ali is saying.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Ali wrote:

Ali

The mods here delete bullshit from the forums. No different than what Ali is saying.

They didn't censor anything about the MSL situation. People were allowed to speculate as much as they wanted. Ali's idea of a "fan forum" seems to fit in very well with Jarmo's methods.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Ali wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Ali

Nice try on the Jarmo comparison 22  You completely missed my point.  Freedom of speech does not have to be observed for a private operation like a message board.  You may value it and want it, but that does not mean the owner must observe it.

All I'm saying is that if shit is being stirred to the point where a band member your forum is dedicated to has to come and defend himself, AND get uncalled for insults in the process, the admin/owner of the forum needs to really consider whether or not things have gone too far and whether or not they are acting truly as a fan forum or not. 

I don't think "freedom of speech" is a blank check to do whatever you want.

And please don't take the two examples I cited and claim that means that I support the censoring of band member interviews and everything else that Jarmo does.  You're only making yourself look foolish in those desperate generalizations.

Ali

Sky Dog wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

They didn't censor anything about the MSL situation. People were allowed to speculate as much as they wanted. Ali's idea of a "fan forum" seems to fit in very well with Jarmo's methods.

no it doesn't....there is a BIG difference between making up lies, bullshit rumors on purpose to fuck with the band and debating about whether or not someone likes the new band or not. If you wanna debate about songs, guitar skills, whether Axl is an asshole or not, old band vs new band, those are opinions and are open for spirited debate.....making up mean spirited bullshit rumors is a whole different thing.

salome
 Rep: 2 

salome wrote:
Ali wrote:

I don't think "freedom of speech" is a blank check to do whatever you want.

Exactly!

Being interested in maintaining a certain level of fairness & in trying to avoid slander and all the nasty things beyond ordinary speculating has nothing to do with censorship.

Board footer