You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

Axlin16 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

The latest rumours on that, are that it will be London. Can't please everyone, although I was hoping for Toronto or Belfast 19.

Belfast would be great, but I just don't believe the London rumors. The reason is i've followed every GTA release since Vice City, and every single time people rumor the London thing. EVERYtime, and it never happens. So it's hard to believe that rumor again after the mis-calls on San Andreas, PSP 'Story' releases, and GTAIV.

Maybe they'll do like San Andreas, and just map an entire area. Instead of just doing London OR Belfast, they'll turn around and do the entire U.K. You've got a mini-England, mini-Wales, mini-Scotland, and mini-Northern Ireland.... that would be cool.

If I had to choose, i'd much rather have Toronto. I think Canada is aching BADLY for a GTA treatment. And even though you've got Calgary and Montreal, I think the obvious ones is either to do Toronto or Vancouver.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i'd prefer London over a canadian city

course i should probably finish GTA IV before contemplating GTA V 14

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Why again aren't you allowed in? Did you steal the state moose or something?

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Court: Calif. can't ban violent video game sales
by Jesse J. Holland / AP

grand-theft-auto-iv-20080423022804234_640w.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) – The Supreme Court on Monday refused to let California regulate the sale or rental of violent video games to children, saying governments do not have the power to "restrict the ideas to which children may be exposed" despite complaints about graphic violence.

On a 7-2 vote, the high court upheld a federal appeals court decision to throw out the state's ban on the sale or rental of violent video games to minors. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Sacramento had ruled that the law violated minors' rights under the First Amendment, and the high court agreed.

"No doubt a state possesses legitimate power to protect children from harm," said Justice Antonin Scalia, who wrote the majority opinion. "But that does not include a free-floating power to restrict the ideas to which children may be exposed."

The California law would have prohibited the sale or rental of violent games to anyone under 18. Retailers who violated the act would have been fined up to $1,000 for each infraction.

More than 46 million American households have at least one video-game system, with the industry bringing in at least $18 billion in 2010.

Unlike depictions of "sexual conduct," Scalia said there is no tradition in the United States of restricting children's access to depictions of violence, pointing out the violence in the original depiction of many popular children's fairy tales like Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella and Snow White.

Hansel and Gretel kill their captor by baking her in an oven, Cinderella's evil stepsisters have their eyes pecked out by doves and the evil queen in Snow White is forced to wear red hot slippers and dance until she is dead, Scalia said.

"Certainly the books we give children to read — or read to them when they are younger — contain no shortage of gore," Scalia added.

But Justice Clarence Thomas, who dissented from the decision along with Justice Stephen Breyer, said the majority read something into the First Amendment that isn't there.

"The practices and beliefs of the founding generation establish that "the freedom of speech," as originally understood, does not include a right to speak to minors (or a right of minors to access speech) without going through the minors' parents or guardians," Thomas wrote.

------------------

Those justices do realize most places won't sell 'M-rated' games to people under 17 right?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

the problem is the clueless ones buying the violent games for their kids...i had one guy i used to know come up and ask me if GTA Vice City was a good game to buy a 9yo... uhhh no

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I learned under a Doctor in Psychology... a DOCTOR mind you... that gave patients video games to play. He kept calling it "Grand Theft Auto: Pimp Edition" or something like that. I told him i'd never heard of it, and named off some titles. Finally I named 'Vice City', and he said "that's it!".

Anyways, they gave it to patients so the patients could have video games for rehab and fun... they had no clue violent prisoners were jumping on GTA to kill cops and citizens.

That's how clueless the average person, including psychologists were/are.

You don't just assume. You don't just assume as a parent. You educate yourself. I'm an adult, and I do it. If I can do it, anyone can do it. NO ONE is THAT busy.

The doctor educates themself enough to read psych books and go to conventions, but not enough to jump on Gamespot or IGN and find out what GTA is.

roll

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Kids hear and see far worse on a playground, then they'll ever see in a video game.

At least they know a video game is on TV. The playground is real fuckin' life. I can't tell you how many names I heard, how many times I got choked out, how many times I got hit, how much vulgar shit went down in recess, and I wasn't even fucking 10.

It's sad, but even 15 years ago - kids grow up FAST these days. You roll with it, or you whine like a bitch.

Board footer