You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I watched the GTA 3 anniversary vid as well. Can't beleive that game is 10 years old. We spent literally 3 solid months at school talking about that game when it came out.

johndivney wrote:

a little wary of the 'tone' of the trailer
seems set towards the "more mature" tone of 4 w/borrowing from RDR's awful storyline re: family man trying to get outta crime.

nonetheless looks like an uber-polished & more eventful than 4..

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I wonder if maybe it's just set in Los Santos? They could do a whole game based around just LA leaving sequels open for San Fierro and Las Venturas rather than cramming them all into one game like San Andreas. Having said that I'm not sure San Fierro has enough character to carry a game on its own.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

a little wary of the 'tone' of the trailer
seems set towards the "more mature" tone of 4 w/borrowing from RDR's awful storyline re: family man trying to get outta crime.

nonetheless looks like an uber-polished & more eventful than 4..

roll

You couldn't be more wrong about the storyline of Red Dead. Probably one of the best storylines of any Rockstar game. Fleshed out well too, except the ending was a little underwhelming.

I will say San Andreas storyline was fucking terrible though. Bad voice actors, horrible story. The lowest moment story-wise in GTA history. Irony? It was the best game in GTA history.

A Private Eye wrote:

I wonder if maybe it's just set in Los Santos? They could do a whole game based around just LA leaving sequels open for San Fierro and Las Venturas rather than cramming them all into one game like San Andreas. Having said that I'm not sure San Fierro has enough character to carry a game on its own.

I seriously doubt that. GTAIV's map was HUGE and the biggest, detailed map they ever had.

We already know from the trailer that Los Santos is on there, San Fierro (I could swear the interstate said 'to San Fierro'), and obviously the Northern California mountain range on the North part of the map is there.

So that's everything except Las Venturas. My guess is it'll be an unlockable. and the map itself will be the biggest Rockstar has ever done, even dwarfing Red Dead.

johndivney wrote:

can't even remember SA plot
but there were a few shitty gameplay elements in that game, tho by&large it was more fun than 4 - rpg stuff like going to the gym was just a bad move which they thankfully quickly abandoned

RDR's plot was weak, but by videogame standards i guess it was merely just annoying. didn't plumb the depths of the great westerns that inspired it. just because it is one of the better storylines doesn't mean it was very good. i don't think it was one of the better videogame storylines tho.
narrative for me, in videogames, is something that tends to get in the way. tho i will say 4's story was actually terrific the problem with it was how it infected the gameplay & made it more dreary than it needed to be.

there's a rumour going round that 5's character has appeared in the series before, that it could even be tommy vercetti. probably just the rumour mill running outta control but it's a nice thought.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Vercetti re-appearing in 5 could be kinda cool. Vice City had the best storyline of any of the Rockstar games. Was Max Payne 1 a Rockstar deal? That one was good too.

I guess I see what you're saying about Red Dead. It was good for video games, but "Once Upon A Time In The West" it wasn't.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Here's the GTAV trailer for those who don't want to search around to find it:

[youtube]XF2S3XSkJ3I&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I was just thinking that earlier today. Although Tommy "The Nightmare" Smith was already drug-fried even in 1992 San Andreas.

Not sure how they'd work it. GTAIV kinda scaled back the radio stations, going for more authentic NYC-type stations that was broader in scope. There was only ONE rock station and even it primarily played deeper cuts.

San Andreas was it was the only GTA that was able to get away with like 2-3 rap stations, and 2 rock stations in the same game, because rock/rap was THAT popular in 1992.

I'm not sure what is common in LA/SF/Vegas today, but something tells me the game will have 1 rock station, and it'll probably be a mixture of stuff, similar to GTAIV.

They could write it to where Axl reprised his role, although he'd have to play it much older vocally. But it's not out of the realm of possibilties... Iggy Pop was the rock DJ in GTAIV, so it's obvious Rockstar still likes recruiting these guys for this stuff.

Board footer