You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Van Halen Discussion

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting discussion on your blog russ.

I'm not really the person to comment as outside of maybe 3-4 songs I've never quite got Van Hallen.

I respect Eddie was an innovative guitarist and influenced a generation of tappers and so on but I sort of never quite got DLR. Meanwhile I liked Sammy's voice so love a couple of those tracks but didn't like the keyboard focus of that era. So i'm not really a huge Van Hallen guy - although i do like some songs. So i've ended up being more of a chickenfoot guy who happens to also dig Eddie's guitar solos wink

This album is interesting, although I thought it sounded cheesy when I first heard it, tattoo really grew on me, it's very catchy and quite a strong song in the end - nice solo and fun to sing along to the words.

Rest of the album to me hasn't quite caught off yet but maybe the same thing will happen, I'm liking 1 or 2 others a bit. But I'll give them that while MA's absence is a shame...it does sound like vintage VH to me...which I assume is what everyone wants.

I'd put this album down as a Black Ice. If you "get" Ac/Dc and love that stuff like me, then it's going to be a satisfying album where the highs are maybe not quite as good as the absolute best of the glory days but the overall average is well above the worst in their catalogue too and there's enough genuine awesome moments to fill the tank. If on the other hand you never liked Ac/Dc then Black Ice isn't going to help.

I think it's the same sort of deal. If you're not into VH this album isn't going to convert you...but if you dig classic VH, maybe it's not their finest thing to date but it's definitely solid enough to be worthy of the brand and a lot of fun for the hardcores.

Just my 2c as an admitted non-serious VH listener.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Some of you know that I started a music blog some time ago. I've slowly let some close friends in on it and we're up to 4 contributors now (myself included). Well earlier let one of the other contributors review aDKoT for the blog and he couldn't have done a worse job in my opinion.

Here's a link to his review and so dumb (IMO) comments after:

http://musicineverything.blogspot.com/2 … truth.html

I just posted a rebuttal which is pretty brutal but I feel accurate. Those of you who love the album, please take a second to read the review, my reply and comment either way if you feel compelled to do so.

Another thing the reviewer touched on was the lack of keyboards, but there are some blaringly obvious keyboards in Tattoo. I don't know how they missed that...?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Yeah that review was quite unorganized and he didn't elaborate much on his opinion at all. Liked your rebuttal, Russ. I personally thought most of the album was better than some of the stuff on 1984 and even some of the Van Hagar songs too. It blew my expectations out of the way.

Sky Dog wrote:

Industry sources suggest that Van Halen's "A Different Kind of Truth" may sell about 180,000 to 200,000 copies by the end of the tracking week on Sunday, Feb. 12.

us sales estimate

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Back on the subject of Trunk, I'm heading to Twitter to finally stop following his ass now and it's pretty much over the VH album. Dude wants to do nothing but insult the record while talking about how cool he is for having been invited to the Club Wha? show, getting the album before the rest of us and going to whatever shows on the tour he wants for free if he chooses.

In case you care.  I still follow Eddie Trunk, even though I had to sift through his New York Giant related tweets through the Super Bowl.  Anyway, on his flight home he got a chance to listen to the album in full and he said he can't believes how good it is.  He said he didn't have high hopes because he didn't like "Tattoo", but thought the album as a whole was awesome.  More or less.

What a fuckin' recanting pussy. He did the same thing with Chinese Democracy.

Give it a few months. Eddie will suddenly start slagging on the album as being "okay".

roll

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Gonna pick this up Saturday. can't wait.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Russ, did you get your vinyl yet?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Some of you know that I started a music blog some time ago. I've slowly let some close friends in on it and we're up to 4 contributors now (myself included). Well earlier let one of the other contributors review aDKoT for the blog and he couldn't have done a worse job in my opinion.

Here's a link to his review and so dumb (IMO) comments after:

http://musicineverything.blogspot.com/2 … truth.html

I just posted a rebuttal which is pretty brutal but I feel accurate. Those of you who love the album, please take a second to read the review, my reply and comment either way if you feel compelled to do so.

Another thing the reviewer touched on was the lack of keyboards, but there are some blaringly obvious keyboards in Tattoo. I don't know how they missed that...?

I thought the same thing. I'm gonna get back in there and leave at least one more comment in a bit and I'll probably bring that up too.

I just posted a reply about that. I can understand not liking keyboards, but it seemed like he was saying that keyboards was a Sammy influence, when it was clearly not. Hell, half of 1984 features keyboards, and Dave was still around for that one.

Board footer