You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Van Halen Discussion

Axlin16 wrote:

D loves Bon Jovi and thinks Alice In Chains sucks.

His ears are broke. 19

smoke wrote:

I'm such a huge DLR fan, but ALL of these guys are looking and sounding awesome. Even Wolfie's bringing it. How great is it to see Ed smiling while Dave's leaning into him? Thank God for opportunities like this- VH was/is too important for this generation to not get the chance to experience. I'm so happy they seem to have realized it too.

Did anybody see the bonus iTunes videos with the intro to You and Your Blues? The interaction with the band might be the best it's ever been. Dave tells this story about Michael Jackson, and directly talks to Wolfie and actually teases Eddie about, "your dad won't tell you this story, but I will", and you can see Wolfie laughing, all smiles while Dave does his thing.

For the first time ever I actually saw some chemistry with Wolfie within the band. There was an almost fatherly thing Dave acted with Wolfie, and Eddie was laughing too.

These guys have obviously come full circle, and it's a whole new beast. The album rules too, which is always a plus.

I just hope Axl & Slash can be like that one day. smile

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
russtcb wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I gotta say, this new release has given me greater appreciation of the DLR era. I grew up to the Van Hagar era, so that was always more my preferred version of the band.

But I've revisited 1984, Van Halen 1 (the only two DLR era albums I own), and the DLR era tracks on the Greatest Hits collection, and I'm really digging it. Just good time, party rock.

Hoping they bring the tour to Australia.

Couldn't agree more. This album is really making me want to go on a run of listening to nothing but Fair Woman, Women and Diver Down.

I ALWAYS listened to Fair Warning and WACF...I still have the cassette with both albums on it, and my car just happens to have a tape deck.. 16

So, it's been a constant stream of THAT tape, VHII and the new record for a week.  At home, I've been Spotifying the shit out of Diver Down and 1984... I never got that into those two records... Fresh ears, man... "Girl Gone Bad"... "Drop Dead Legs".. "Secrets"... "Little Guitars"... "The Full Bug"...

Christ...."Happy Trails"... That vibe just vanished with Roth gone.... Nothing against Van Hagar, really... They were that baddest band on Earth, and thought is was a big fucking joke... That is what made them VAN HALEN. I get that Ed and Al wanted to grow up a little THEN....But, I stand by my assertion that ADKOT hangs with ANY of those records purely on vibe.

And yes, faldor... This album has soo much nutsack. Like late Pantera nutsack... Apparently, the guitar work on "HBSD" was inspired by Dimebag... And, I'll agree with just about everyone... Wolfie is the man.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Axlin12 wrote:

D loves Bon Jovi and thinks Alice In Chains sucks.

His ears are broke. 19

smoke wrote:

I'm such a huge DLR fan, but ALL of these guys are looking and sounding awesome. Even Wolfie's bringing it. How great is it to see Ed smiling while Dave's leaning into him? Thank God for opportunities like this- VH was/is too important for this generation to not get the chance to experience. I'm so happy they seem to have realized it too.

Did anybody see the bonus iTunes videos with the intro to You and Your Blues? The interaction with the band might be the best it's ever been. Dave tells this story about Michael Jackson, and directly talks to Wolfie and actually teases Eddie about, "your dad won't tell you this story, but I will", and you can see Wolfie laughing, all smiles while Dave does his thing.

For the first time ever I actually saw some chemistry with Wolfie within the band. There was an almost fatherly thing Dave acted with Wolfie, and Eddie was laughing too.

These guys have obviously come full circle, and it's a whole new beast. The album rules too, which is always a plus.

I just hope Axl & Slash can be like that one day. smile

Yeah..I'm glad he told Wolf some of these jokes and stories since he hasn't experienced these events before and it made the environment for the band much more relaxing and friendly which is always a good thing to do. It's like..it's 2012, i'm glad they are with smiles and have a good connection with one another. Wolfgang gets his time to shine with the band; so everyone is an equal member on the album & tour. ADKOT was the best rock album I've listened to in the past few years. Can't wait to seem them live. Going to buy my tickets in a few weeks. Panama and the other songs performed acoustic were mind blowing! That was a great bonus to see.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

First listen yeah but thought same with RHCP new CD and now i love it

takes me a while

will listen a few more times through the week and see if it clicks. never been a VH fan though.

-D-

-D- wrote:

just like that.... listened at work today and now love first 6 songs.. gonna listen to next half of album tomorrow.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Hearing this album & the dvd makes you realize this needed to happen in 96. The fact this is ancient demos reworked reinforces that point. Band is on fire but DLR is really showing his age.

Intro on Chinatown reminds me of BH.

-D-

-D- wrote:
russtcb wrote:
-D- wrote:

just like that.... listened at work today and now love first 6 songs.. gonna listen to next half of album tomorrow.

Sweet, I'm glad it's growing on you. I remember you saying that years ago as well about albums taking a bit to grow on you if and when they do.

Yeah, i rarely review any album first listen....

Usually if i love it first listen... It only stays in CD player a few weeks.. if i hate it first listen, i usually end up listening for years and years.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Band is tight, DLR sounds like the weak link...

Board footer