You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Van Halen Discussion

faldor wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic 91 wrote:

That's cool. How long was the wait for them to get on stage after Kool?  So after Jump, did they just do their bows and stuff and leave?

They took stage somewhere around 9pm I believe and ended around 11.   Kool and the Gang went on around 7:30, and according to setlist.fm they only played 5 songs.  So they must not play for much more than 30-40 minutes or so.  That would leave the wait in between maybe 45 minutes or so.

And yeah, the no encore thing is a bit strange, but whatever.

The setlist for the tour was leaked before the show last night and people were speculating whether it was legit or not.  It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty damn close.  There are a few songs on the setlist that weren't played, so those could in fact be alternates for future shows.  Van Halen typically doesn't change up their set much at all, but I imagine things could be different this time around with a new album to promote.

[youtube]Cuu7SPknjNw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

The band probably didn't feel up to it. That's ok. Sounds like I'm getting my money's worth after all! big_smile Cool with me. That sounds about right for an opening act even if it's a legendary group like Kool & The Gang! I guess I will be jamming to Celebration and Jungle Boogie before VH takes the stage. Going to take a ton of pics! When I saw the Foo, Social Distortion only played for like 30 minutes and they have been around longer than any of the bands that were playing (Wish they played I Was Wrong, cause that's my favorite song from them, oh well) xD..but that was fine with me cause the Foo played about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour set full of the hits and a good chunk of the new album which was awesome! Singing along to almost the whole set!

faldor

faldor wrote:

[youtube]UJOiLEKrx9c&feature=channel[/youtube]

[youtube]k29yd1I130k&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Woww..they sound really tight! big_smile They look like they are having a blast! Great job with the audio & video capture. Dave's voice sounds much better than the 07-08 tour. Everyone else is amazing!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Not one song from van Hagar era...

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Not one song from van Hagar era...

A bit of a shame, because I'm a fan of the Van Hagar era, and there were some killer songs they released during that time.

But I'm not really surprised that they're not playing any.

Say for example that Slash and Axl patched things up again down the road, I highly doubt Slash would wanna play any CD era songs.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Dave doesn't have the range Sammy does, so I'm not sure what songs he could pull off.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

He doesn't have the range, but Sammy had to sing dave's songs.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Which was easy for Sammy.

I still think Sammy sounds better on Panama than Dave.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

He doesn't have the range, but Sammy had to sing dave's songs.

Difference is though, Sammy joined an already established band.  There were songs from the DLR era they HAD to perform.  Couldn't neglect them and just play the Sammy stuff.  With Dave there is enough classic material for them to disregard any of the Van Hagar stuff.  No disrespect, there's obviously some good stuff from that era, but there isn't a real need for Dave to try to tackle any of those songs.

Board footer