You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Van Halen Discussion

metallex78 wrote:

I thought I read that Sammy would only play 4-5 songs from Dave's era, because he wanted to play his own stuff instead? I guess that's why they only played the Dave-era hit songs.

Just watched those videos, and the band is sounding really tight.
Great to see that EVH finally got his shit together, it's a waste of all that talent to not perform and play if he's still more than capable.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Of course. Dave & Sammy have completely different vocal styles and tones to their music in VH. I felt sorry for Gary when he had to play songs like Right Now and Jamie's Cryin' in the same set; but the guy was a trooper on those youtube leaks of the 1998 tour.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic 91 wrote:

Of course. Dave & Sammy have completely different vocal styles and tones to their music in VH. I felt sorry for Gary when he had to play songs like Right Now and Jamie's Cryin' in the same set; but the guy was a trooper on those youtube leaks of the 1998 tour.

I went with a few friends to tailgate at a VH concert back then when Cherone was fronting the band.  We went with the intention of buying tickets, but decided against it.  I REALLY wanted to see EVH, but we came to the conclusion it just wasn't right.  Luckily I got to see them twice last tour and they were great.  Wouldn't mind seeing them again, but the tickets were just too damn expensive for the Mohegan Sun show.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

metallex78 wrote:

Say for example that Slash and Axl patched things up again down the road, I highly doubt Slash would wanna play any CD era songs.

The only one I could imagine getting an airing would be This I Love, simply 'cause it's almost all Axl on piano, and Slash could do his own thing with the solo.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Here's a thought that won't happen but that would blow our minds.

Axl was prepared to re-record AFD because he wasn't happy with elements of the recording process back in the day.

Yes, AFD, the multi-platinum, much worshiped album of all things rockish.

If he will re-record the whole of AFD with Robin, then explain to me why he couldn't re-record the whole of CD with Slash and Duff.

Would never happen, but in principle it's no more insane than what's been done in the past.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Here's a thought that won't happen but that would blow our minds.

Axl was prepared to re-record AFD because he wasn't happy with elements of the recording process back in the day.

Yes, AFD, the multi-platinum, much worshiped album of all things rockish.

If he will re-record the whole of AFD with Robin, then explain to me why he couldn't re-record the whole of CD with Slash and Duff.

Would never happen, but in principle it's no more insane than what's been done in the past.

I think Axl did the AFD thing to try and give the band an idea of the old bands style and tricks so maybe they could implement some of those elements into their playing.

more of a practice tool.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Well, after listening to the album almost non-stop the last few weeks, I think the weaker tracks are Bullethead, and Outta Space, more because I don't really like the lyrics. Musically they're still pretty tight.

My favourites are: As Is, Stay Frosty (possibly my all time favourite VH track), China Town, She's The Woman, and the rest of the album is awesome too.

And is it just me, or does DLR sound a bit like Ozzy on the chorus of China Town?

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

It's awesome how "classic" this album sounds, while still rocking as hard as any modern rock album too.

I think A Different Kind Of Truth is now my favourite VH album too.

Another thing, people are saying how Dave is the weak link here, but he still sounds like Dave, and his crazy tales and tongue-in-cheek lyrics are as great as ever.

I actually liken his aging voice to an aging whiskey. It seems to get better with the years.

Board footer