You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Van Halen Discussion

BLS-Pride wrote:

As is, at the moment is my favorite track. The album has some really aggressive moments which I wasn't expected and really liking. Eddie is in top form, even if some material was written in the past he still plays it better than anyone. I feel he has reminded a lot of folk out there how to play the guitar.

My most listened to tracks are As is, Honeybabysweetiedoll, Big River, Stay Frosty, You and Your Blues, Bullethead, Blood and Fire, and The Trouble with Never. But I really like the whole album. Tattoo doesn't fit with the rest of the album. Just vibe wise, after Tattoo the record takes off and doesn't land again. Chinatown doesn't do much for me to tell the truth. I like it but I take the above mentioned over it. Hopefully this inspires rock and roll to wake up and shake off all the bullshit.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Thing about this record.... the guitar stuff seems impossible for any mere mortal to even attempt on guitar but it also has soul and melody and feel and greatness unlike the clones.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I really should spin this some more and see if I can feel the love.

Seems to have grown on all you and I respect the opinions on here.

Just for me I seem opposite so far, like everyone says Tattoo is the worst part of the album, but on only 1 or 2 listens that was the song I liked most.

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

I wouldn't rank it among their best but its a very strong statement in 2012.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Honestly, it's my favorite album of theirs with DLR.

Maybe it's because it's new and fresh to my ears, but I'm starting to think the same.

And even without obvious classics on there like Panama, Jump and Hot For Teacher, it's still a much more solid album than 1984 was.

Every song on ADKOT has me coming back for repeated listens, whether it's picking up little riffs here and there, or wanting to re-listen to the solos. Even delving into Dave's lyrics in the booklet has been fun. I gotta give way more credit than I ever did before, he's written some very cool lines on here.

I'm actually kinda astounded how great an album they've released, this late in the game too.
Most other aging artists, never release anything half as good as what they did in their prime, but this is definitely an exclusion.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I really should spin this some more and see if I can feel the love.

Seems to have grown on all you and I respect the opinions on here.

Just for me I seem opposite so far, like everyone says Tattoo is the worst part of the album, but on only 1 or 2 listens that was the song I liked most.

You should definitely, it's very much a grower. But I was already a big EVH fan to begin with, so maybe it's different for someone who isn't.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Honestly, it's my favorite album of theirs with DLR.

I only listen to Roth era VH. And even then my VH tastes are different than most fans. My favorite album would be Fair Warning. I really dig the new one though, gonna give it a little more time before I rank it up with the rest of them though.

Sky Dog wrote:

good pick---Unchained, Hear About It Later, Mean Street...definitely in my top 5 to 10 VH songs.

Interesting comparison ...Roth Era album shipments according to RIAA... very similar to original Gnr:

Van Halen: 10,000,000
Van Halen II: 5,000,000
Women and Children First: 3,000,000
Fair Warning: 2,000,000
Diver Down: 4,000,000
1984: 10,000,000

total 34 million in US

AFD: 18,000,000
LIES: 5,000,000
UYI I: 7,000,000
UYI II: 7,000,000
SI: 1,000,000