You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Mar. 12th, 2012 - House of Blues, Los Angeles, CA

Smoking Guns wrote:

There are fuck ups also that robin brings that DJ doesn't. R o bi n is much more unique though. Original.

Sky Dog wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I find it funny the amount of slobbering over brain and finck with GNR, yet some think a one off at the hof is a bad idea. So selfish, you love when he reunites with all old members not named Slash. I thought it was cool. Imagine the vibe at rnrhof if the appetite line up does 2 or 3 tunes.

Yeah, I am with you on that...You can tell Axl still digs Robin and I am quite sure he would dig the vibe of the original five! At least for 20 minutes.

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb-k6R9phcg

and this is the way Dead Flowers should be....Axl and Izzy would kill it..as would Tommy and Axl..

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I love that era of the stones.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I find it funny the amount of slobbering over brain and finck with GNR, yet some think a one off at the hof is a bad idea. So selfish, you love when he reunites with all old members not named Slash. I thought it was cool. Imagine the vibe at rnrhof if the appetite line up does 2 or 3 tunes.

I hear you.  BUT, I could twist it another way.  I used to think it wouldn't be a big deal if the original 5 performed together at the RNRHOF, but after hearing people calling for DJ to exit stage left, or Bumblefoot, as long as Robin is let back in the fold.  Some people are even saying Brain should take over for Frank. 

I can only IMAGINE the outcry on April 15th if Slash and co. made it through a song or two with Axl. 

Let's face it, the guest spot by Robin and Brain was nice.  But it was nothing more than that.  They left the band on their own accord.  Axl still considers them part of the "family", but he's not about to cast any of the current members aside when it comes to touring.  It certainly could be a sign though, that any further releases will include Robin, Bucket, Brain.  IF we ever get to that point, that is.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I am never gonna like Robin playing the old songs.. style is just too different but a lot of people have changed my mind here lately talking how at least Robin took band in a different new direction.... i think sometimes if i could judge CD on its own and not compare it to GNR.. I'd like it a lot more than I do.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
bobo wrote:

axl rose
robin finck
tommy stinson
richard fortus
dizzy reed
brain

this should be the lineup for the european tour

Only if Richard plays all the Slash solos and Robin only plays lead on the CD songs or if the band actually followed a new path and played 90% CD and new albums...then sure....but in the current "Classic Hits with a touch of CD" environment - all that would do is intensify the "it aint slash" complaints. One of the reasons this line up gets more positive reviews from the general public than previous line ups is that instrumentally with DJ it's more respectful to and closer to the songs people mostly go for - the greatest hits numbers.

I'm sorry to bash in what is joyful reunion moment, yes he has some chemistry, yes he's a good composer and yes he looks good on stage - but  fundamentally his renditions of the classics are unacceptably poor to anyone familiar with the guitar melodies.

bobo
 Rep: -7 

bobo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
bobo wrote:

axl rose
robin finck
tommy stinson
richard fortus
dizzy reed
brain

this should be the lineup for the european tour

Only if Richard plays all the Slash solos and Robin only plays lead on the CD songs or if the band actually followed a new path and played 90% CD and new albums...then sure....but in the current "Classic Hits with a touch of CD" environment - all that would do is intensify the "it aint slash" complaints. One of the reasons this line up gets more positive reviews from the general public than previous line ups is that instrumentally with DJ it's more respectful to and closer to the songs people mostly go for - the greatest hits numbers.

I'm sorry to bash in what is joyful reunion moment, yes he has some chemistry, yes he's a good composer and yes he looks good on stage - but  fundamentally his renditions of the classics are unacceptably poor to anyone familiar with the guitar melodies.

it's time robin does TIL live every night on a regular basis. axl should give robin this chance on the european tour. as for setlist, it should be mostly new stuff. but robin is pretty good doing sweet child and november rain. axl needs to move forward. he still hasn't. maybe with robin being back....axl will move forward with chinese democracy and bring back robin for the next tour. and play more new stuff than classic slash hits!

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I dont' see this "magic" that others are talking about. Just because Robin stumbles around like a  drunken sailor on stage doesn't mean it equates to "magic" or chemistry.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Yeah, I am with you on that...You can tell Axl still digs Robin and I am quite sure he would dig the vibe of the original five! At least for 20 minutes.

Yeah no shit. And I guarantee you there's a whole group out there that think this is a huge step forward, if he can play with Izzy, Duff, Robin, Brain... he can play with Slash.

And considering Brain was there, i'm assuming Bucket was asked and turned it down.

My thoughts:

Dead Flowers was not "killer" -- i'm a huge Dead Flowers fan, and maybe it's because i'm so fond of those actually killer 1993 performances, and the Stones... but the 2012 performance didn't wow me. The band's performance was interesting. Very slick, very glam, almost sounded like Poison's version of the song. Liked them. Axl was spotty. He was '93 on the higher stuff, but coming down he struggled mightily, lost his breath, he sounded weak.

Mama Kin was terrible. One of the worst performances in GN'R history. Limp, no power, no passion, weak as hell.

Better hasn't sounded that GOOD in years. Everybody knows i'm not a big Robin fan, but I did love his work on Better from top-to-bottom and thought it was Mr. Finck's shining moment in GN'R. Robin played/plays Better with so much passion that the song always sounded the best during the 2006-07 performances (Rock Am Ring 2006 is a personal favorite). I have never really "gotten" the 2009-12 performances. If the band isn't average, Axl is. Axl hasn't busted ass on the song this much since Robin was in GN'R.

GN'R continuing to bust out old covers is also another sign of no balls, no willingness to continue towards a future. It would be a shame to lose Ron, but regardless I hope we don't lose DJ. Best acquisition for GN'R since Buckethead. Still prefer him to Robin 4eva.

But -- 21   is actually the guy who should be the lead guitarist.  22

Board footer