You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Mar. 12th, 2012 - House of Blues, Los Angeles, CA

metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Ok...if we're putting it out there:

* On instrument skills Bumblefoot is a far better guitarist than anyone else in the band, suggesting getting rid of him makes no sense.

* Live DJ plays everything that robin played better than robin plays it.

* Robin writes good music but is unable or unwilling to play the old songs properly - keep in mind 70% of the show is old songs.

Suggestion that he's a better fit for the band is crazy to me.

This also.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I love Dead Flowers, but I gotta say, I find it so odd that they play covers that the old band used to rather than playing actual GN'R tunes. Just makes them seem like they have no identity of their own...:ummm:

This.

GN'R Facebook official wrote:

Lethargic whiny lil bitches who will probably ...never ever get it cause their heads are decades into the last century and buried up someone's ass.

Whole Lotta Rosie, Dead Flowers and Mama Kin? 16  The Axl Camp is the Monty Python of the 21st century.

I know that some of you see this as an improvement and another huge brave step forward, a milestone in the 'Axl has a vision' project, but hey, it's hilarious. Now they are not only covering other people's songs, but they are covering the old band's cover songs.

I get the point, BUT.  As a GNR fan, I'd love to hear "Dead Flowers" or "Mama Kin" live, regardless of who is in the band.  While they're at it, play "It's Alright" or "Dust in the Wind".  I wouldn't know some of those songs if it wasn't for GNR as it is, so I think it's cool for the fans.

Were people criticizing Slash for playing The Godfather theme recently?  Why dip into the past for that one?  Because fans LOVE IT!  Fans love to hear something from the past.  This gets forgotten all too often.  Again, if you want to bitch about the setlist from your keyboard, I get it.  But if you're actually AT the show and they played those 2 songs the other night I think you'd have a different reaction.

I get it, we all want to hear new music.  People used to want to hear more UYI stuff, but now all I hear is how lame that is and how they should focus on playing their own stuff.  Now they can't play covers they used to play?  Did they get praise for breaking out "Riff Raff"?  That was a new one.  I remember hearing people saying enough with the covers.  How about "Sailing", "Sway" and "Back in the F'ing UK"? 

We all WANT new music, but apparently we ain't getting any anytime soon.  So we're getting the next best thing as far as I can tell.

Let's get this straight, I love those songs too, but those cover songs were what gave the old band their identity, showed their roots, so to say. Why do these new guys need to play those same cover songs, rather than play some other songs that they can put their identity on?

And regardless of that, there's still a huge chunk of original GUNS N' ROSES songs they could be playing instead. I don't expect any unheard CD era stuff to be played, but come on, bust out Perfect Crime or Bad Apples or SOMETHING, ANYTHING!:haha:

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

When I hear NR or Patience on the radio, I hum Robin's version of the solos aloud over Slash's because that's how much I like them and how much the move me. And to me, the dude's got stage presence to burn. The way he works out all the notes and the groove with his whole body is just bad ass.

Yeah i don't have an issue with his stage persona. Though the goth look in 02 was a bit out of place I thought, but from 06 onward he doesn't bother me - seems like a watchable guy to be honest.

My issue is just with the playing, and it's not even that I dislike what he plays per say, I quite like the solo numbers, and I like the CD numbers, I just don't like his version of the classics. I can see you like them more. It's just to me I sing along in my brain the way it goes on the record..then it doesn't happen and it's traumatising...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I find it funny the amount of slobbering over brain and finck with GNR, yet some think a one off at the hof is a bad idea. So selfish, you love when he reunites with all old members not named Slash. I thought it was cool. Imagine the vibe at rnrhof if the appetite line up does 2 or 3 tunes.

It's funny, when I saw Robin on stage and how right it looked and sounded and just the feeling I had... I totally thought of seeing Slash up there, too.

Everyone knows I want the 02 lineup together before anything. But this just proves what an incredibly POWERFUL moment seeing Axl and Slash on stage together again would be.

I think we'll see Axl, Slash and Duff on stage again. Probably with Izzy too. I'm pretty sure of that. I'm not sold about seeing the original five all together.

Lomax wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think we'll see Axl, Slash and Duff on stage again. Probably with Izzy too. I'm pretty sure of that. I'm not sold about seeing the original five all together.

At the HOF? Or just in the future?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Just in the future. I think it'll be baby steps, unless he has a great time leading up to the HOF.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

There are a couple of variant lineups I'd kill to see – I'd love to see the 2002-era lineup back together, if Axl was on his 2006-era vocal form. Axl with those killer vocals and a better look than his "fat, braided hockey jersey" thing together with Buckethead and Finck... 11

Likewise, I'd be curious to see the current band, with Buckethead subbed in for Bumblefoot or Ashba. The former because you'd have DJ's stage charisma and old-school stylings next to Buckethead's undeniable presence, and because I'd be interested in Ashba's songwriting with a layer of Buckety goodness. The latter because, well... Bucket/Bumble guitar duels.

And I'd love to see a reunion of the 5 originals, or a hybrid thing with Fortus/Ferrer/Slash/Duff/Tommy on guitar.

But the thing is, the current band get on so well, and they all seem to be such stand-up guys, that wishing for any other line-up would mean dicking on them. Which would be terrible.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

There needs to be a GNR-fest that has all 20ish members on board. GNR headlines, rotating through lineups, mixing and matching in whatever way achieves max-awesomeness. And for the opening acts- everyone gets to perform with whichever of their side/other projects they want.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
misterID wrote:

Just in the future. I think it'll be baby steps, unless he has a great time leading up to the HOF.

I really don't think we'll ever see Axl on stage with any more than one of the AFD lineup members at one time.

Ali

Board footer