You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Mar. 12th, 2012 - House of Blues, Los Angeles, CA

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bobo
 Rep: -7 

bobo wrote:

robin makes the case to replace dj ashba on the european tour. robin's performance was spot on

Saboteur
 Rep: 4 

Saboteur wrote:
bobo wrote:

robin makes the case to replace dj ashba on the european tour. robin's performance was spot on

Are you Jim Bob?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Let's get this straight, I love those songs too, but those cover songs were what gave the old band their identity, showed their roots, so to say. Why do these new guys need to play those same cover songs, rather than play some other songs that they can put their identity on?

I was pondering the answer to that. Then it hit me. in 1987 when AFD came out DJ was 15 years old....it's pretty likely he covers the songs he grew up with in the non-cover-song portion of the set!:haha::haha:

johndivney wrote:

tbpfh the more i listen to CD the less i like Robin's playing.

but i also despair over the direction taken since DJ's introduction.
DJ does play the old stuff far better tho.

that's all.

i think.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:

tbpfh the more i listen to CD the less i like Robin's playing.

but i also despair over the direction taken since DJ's introduction.
DJ does play the old stuff far better tho.

that's all.

i think.

What direction?  Creative direction?  They haven't released anything since DJ's been in the band.

According to Tommy, the camaraderie has been better with DJ than with Robin, so that's nothing to despair about as a fan in my book.

Ali

bobo
 Rep: -7 

bobo wrote:

robin's the lead guitar player on cd. robin sounds just as good on cd as slash does on appetite, lies, illusions, and spaghetti incident

robin and tommy had better chemistry live. the band was tighter live with robin

last night's show with robin performing better with axl and tommy proves it

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I agree Robin sounds great on CD....don't want to get into the "just as good as slash" type stuff...but he gives a solid performance for sure.

I'm interested you think the band was tighter with robin though. In my opinion since DJ the band has been unquestionably stronger in a live setting, some of which I put down to bumble now having had a chance to learn the songs (in 06 he was listening on a taptop moments before a show or something right) and better division between the guitsrists of who does what.

One issue with the 3 guitar model though is the soundman is always playing catchup. It's not uncommon for the start of a solo to be lost as the sound guy franticly adjusts levels as they swap guitarists in a mush of sound.

One of the proshots recently of Riff Raff demonstrated this well can see bumble shred but you only hear the second half of what he's playing.

Don't even start me on 2006 nighttrain, i think at download, where bumble's guitar isn't even on the mix - so the whole outro is just the rhythm guitar while you see footage of him playing an incredible solo. Sigh.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Let's get this straight, I love those songs too, but those cover songs were what gave the old band their identity, showed their roots, so to say. Why do these new guys need to play those same cover songs, rather than play some other songs that they can put their identity on?

And regardless of that, there's still a huge chunk of original GUNS N' ROSES songs they could be playing instead. I don't expect any unheard CD era stuff to be played, but come on, bust out Perfect Crime or Bad Apples or SOMETHING, ANYTHING!:haha:

Maybe Axl likes performing Dead Flowers or Mama Kin?  Maybe he felt like performing them that night?  Maybe he felt the fans would dig hearing those songs again?  I don't see the big deal really.  They broke out Riff Raff.  No one was excited about that.  They played Civil War and Estranged, and people already seemed tired with that.  The main complaint is the lack of new music.  That's fine, but let's not beat around the bush.  At this point they could play Stairway to Heaven or Coma and people would still bitch.

Board footer