You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Mar. 12th, 2012 - House of Blues, Los Angeles, CA

If they played Coma that would kick so much ass. It would take a ton of energy from the band; but it could work with this version of the band.

bobo
 Rep: -7 

bobo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I agree Robin sounds great on CD....don't want to get into the "just as good as slash" type stuff...but he gives a solid performance for sure.

I'm interested you think the band was tighter with robin though. In my opinion since DJ the band has been unquestionably stronger in a live setting, some of which I put down to bumble now having had a chance to learn the songs (in 06 he was listening on a taptop moments before a show or something right) and better division between the guitsrists of who does what.

One issue with the 3 guitar model though is the soundman is always playing catchup. It's not uncommon for the start of a solo to be lost as the sound guy franticly adjusts levels as they swap guitarists in a mush of sound.

One of the proshots recently of Riff Raff demonstrated this well can see bumble shred but you only hear the second half of what he's playing.

Don't even start me on 2006 nighttrain, i think at download, where bumble's guitar isn't even on the mix - so the whole outro is just the rhythm guitar while you see footage of him playing an incredible solo. Sigh.

it is more than a solid performance. slash is the lead guitarist on appetite. slash gives more than a solid performance. robin is the lead guitarist of chinese democracy. robin gives more than a solid performance. you and many act like robin just gave a few pennies to charity and that's it. robin is just as big and important to chinese democracy as slash is to appetite and illusions. no one is getting it. robin isn't getting credit for cd. which is the latest guns n roses album by the way.

i saw robin in 2002. gnr never looked better as a rock band during the chinese democracy world tour. robin rocked sweet child and november rain. his own solo was kick ass too. better than mi amor and ballad of death. robin is a classic rock guitarist. robin is what slash is in the band.

the original lineup was axl, slash, duff, izzy, and steven. the current lineup should be axl, robin, tommy, richard, and brain. you don't even need dizzy or chris. it's time to shorten the rotation live and in the studio

i don't buy bumblefoot and dj ashba. they don't have the commitment and passion robin has. listen to chinese democracy. robin gives passion. bumble doesn't. listen live. robin gives passion when he's out there. big chemistry with axl and tommy. dj doesn't have passion. dj's like a pretty boy. who's getting paid big bucks. dj likes the money. he's not in this to write songs. or make albums. robin writes the song better. robin records better. better is on chinese democracy. dj has no intention of writing or recording. dj isn't what robin is. a passionate classic rock guitar player

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I get the feeling bobo is a Robin fan 16

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Bobo is Jim Bob's son for sure.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
bobo wrote:

You and many act like robin just gave a few pennies to charity and that's it. robin is just as big and important to chinese democracy as slash is to appetite and illusions. no one is getting it. robin isn't getting credit for cd. which is the latest guns n roses album by the way.

The difference is that Chinese is not a guitar driven album. Every song on AFD is driven by hard rock riffing, and in that context it becomes ultra important who is behind the strings. Not that there isn't some great guitar on Chinese Democracy, but for the most part it's about guitar solos and occasional riffing over the synth and piano and stuff. Most of the racks are not led by the guitar so to speak.

Further, all solos on AFD and UYI are done by slash, while on CD robin is sharing guitar solo duties with Buckethead and Bumblefoot. That alone means that he is not "as important" to the overall sound as slash was to AFD. Doesn't mean either of them is better or worse - just in one case it's the solos of 1 man on a guitar led album, and in the other it's the solos of 3 men in a much more multi-instrumental album.

For the record I'm a big fan of chinese democracy and I do enjoy Robin's playing on the album. I just think you are far over stating the significance of it.

bobo wrote:

dj likes the money. he's not in this to write songs. or make albums. robin writes the song better. robin records better. better is on chinese democracy. dj has no intention of writing or recording. dj isn't what robin is. a passionate classic rock guitar player

DJ has said on a number of occasions that he can't wait to record with GNR. In fact he's also commented that he's constantly exchanging song ideas with Axl.

I'm not the biggest fan of his post-la-scene image, as it does sometimes seem to me that he's trying to hard to emulate slash's stage presence, (emulating slash's musical sound is a good idea, but coping his persona just gets uncomftorable to watch) but songwriting is definitely important to him, he's helped a number of artists such as Motley Crue to record...and the most recent Sixx: Am album has a lot of guitar work and riffing from him.

bobo
 Rep: -7 

bobo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
bobo wrote:

You and many act like robin just gave a few pennies to charity and that's it. robin is just as big and important to chinese democracy as slash is to appetite and illusions. no one is getting it. robin isn't getting credit for cd. which is the latest guns n roses album by the way.

The difference is that Chinese is not a guitar driven album. Every song on AFD is driven by hard rock riffing, and in that context it becomes ultra important who is behind the strings. Not that there isn't some great guitar on Chinese Democracy, but for the most part it's about guitar solos and occasional riffing over the synth and piano and stuff. Most of the racks are not led by the guitar so to speak.

Further, all solos on AFD and UYI are done by slash, while on CD robin is sharing guitar solo duties with Buckethead and Bumblefoot. That alone means that he is not "as important" to the overall sound as slash was to AFD. Doesn't mean either of them is better or worse - just in one case it's the solos of 1 man on a guitar led album, and in the other it's the solos of 3 men in a much more multi-instrumental album.

For the record I'm a big fan of chinese democracy and I do enjoy Robin's playing on the album. I just think you are far over stating the significance of it.

bobo wrote:

dj likes the money. he's not in this to write songs. or make albums. robin writes the song better. robin records better. better is on chinese democracy. dj has no intention of writing or recording. dj isn't what robin is. a passionate classic rock guitar player

DJ has said on a number of occasions that he can't wait to record with GNR. In fact he's also commented that he's constantly exchanging song ideas with Axl.

I'm not the biggest fan of his post-la-scene image, as it does sometimes seem to me that he's trying to hard to emulate slash's stage presence, (emulating slash's musical sound is a good idea, but coping his persona just gets uncomftorable to watch) but songwriting is definitely important to him, he's helped a number of artists such as Motley Crue to record...and the most recent Sixx: Am album has a lot of guitar work and riffing from him.

better is driven by robin's guitar. this i love is driven by robin's guitar. there was a time is driven by robin's guitar. street of dreams is driven by robin's guitar. irs is driven by robin's guitar. catcher is driven by robin's guitar. i could go on and on how robin drives chinese democracy with a guitar

robin does all the big solos on chinese democracy like slash does on appetite and illusions. what big solos does bumble do? buckethead does prostitute. what does bumble do?

chinese democracy is robin. furthermore, robin is the lead guitarist of the record. not buckethead or bumblefoot

you're not getting robin's importance to chinese is slash importance to guns n roses

dj isn't writing songs. dj isn't recording songs. many songs in the can. those songs were written and recorded by axl and robin. not dj ashba

you're not getting what many don't get. robin finck is to guns n roses what slash was to guns n roses

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
bobo wrote:

better is driven by robin's guitar. this i love is driven by robin's guitar. there was a time is driven by robin's guitar. street of dreams is driven by robin's guitar. irs is driven by robin's guitar. catcher is driven by robin's guitar. i could go on and on how robin drives chinese democracy with a guitar

I think we're not talking about the same thing. Better is admittedly a possible exception. But the other songs you list have GREAT guitar in them - but they are not guitar LED songs.

For example - what happens if you take "Street of Dreams" and remove the guitars - you still have a functional song with the piano parts. All you loose is some background chording and the solo.

Same with TWAT - there's the 99 demo that's the verses with all synth...the guitar only becomes important to twat in the second half. Those songs are led by the other instruments and robin comes in and does some great guitar. But you could have the song without those guitar parts and it could still function.

But what happens if you take away the guitar parts from Jungle? Or ISE? or out to get me? You can't. There's no song left other than the lyrics. Those songs are led by the guitar lines in them as the key element.

Thus, it's more important on a song like Jungle who is behind your guitar than it is on a song like street of dreams.

AFD is a guitar driven album, chinese is a great album but it is more of a mult-instrumental piece.

bobo wrote:

robin does all the big solos on chinese democracy like slash does on appetite and illusions. what big solos does bumble do? buckethead does prostitute. what does bumble do

chinese democracy is robin. furthermore, robin is the lead guitarist of the record. not buckethead or bumblefoot

No.

CHINESE DEMOCRACY - Robin Finck, Buckethead
SHACKLER'S REVENGE - Bumblefoot
BETTER - Buckethead, Robin Finck
STREET OF DREAMS - Robin Finck, Buckethead
IF THE WORLD - Buckethead
THERE WAS A TIME - Robin Finck, Buckethead
CATCHER IN THE RYE - Bumblefoot, Robin Finck, Bumblefoot
SCRAPED - Bumblefoot, Buckethead
RIAD N THE BEDOUINS - Bumblefoot, Buckethead
SORRY - Buckethead
IRS - Robin Finck, Buckethead
MADAGASCAR - Buckethead
THIS I LOVE - Robin Finck
PROSTITUTE - Buckethead

Robin plays a lead guitar line on 7 tracks.
Bucket plays a lead guitar line on 11 tracks
Bumblefoot plays a lead guitar line on 3 tracks

If that isn't sharing I don't know what is.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
bobo wrote:

I think we're not talking about the same thing. Better is admittedly a possible exception. But the other songs you list have GREAT guitar in them - but they are not guitar LED songs.

For example - what happens if you take "Street of Dreams" and remove the guitars - you still have a functional song with the piano parts. All you loose is some background chording and the solo.

Same with TWAT - there's the 99 demo that's the verses with all synth...the guitar only becomes important to twat in the second half. Those songs are led by the other instruments and robin comes in and does some great guitar. But you could have the song without those guitar parts and it could still function.

But what happens if you take away the guitar parts from Jungle? Or ISE? or out to get me? You can't. There's no song left other than the lyrics. Those songs are led by the guitar lines in them as the key element.

Thus, it's more important on a song like Jungle who is behind your guitar than it is on a song like street of dreams.

AFD is a guitar driven album, chinese is a great album but it is more of a mult-instrumental piece.

bobo wrote:

robin does all the big solos on chinese democracy like slash does on appetite and illusions. what big solos does bumble do? buckethead does prostitute. what does bumble do

No.

CHINESE DEMOCRACY - Robin Finck, Buckethead
SHACKLER'S REVENGE - Bumblefoot
BETTER - Buckethead, Robin Finck
STREET OF DREAMS - Robin Finck, Buckethead
IF THE WORLD - Buckethead
THERE WAS A TIME - Robin Finck, Buckethead
CATCHER IN THE RYE - Bumblefoot, Robin Finck, Bumblefoot
SCRAPED - Bumblefoot, Buckethead
RIAD N THE BEDOUINS - Bumblefoot, Buckethead
SORRY - Buckethead
IRS - Robin Finck, Buckethead
MADAGASCAR - Buckethead
THIS I LOVE - Robin Finck
PROSTITUTE - Buckethead

Robin plays a lead guitar line on 7 tracks.
Bucket plays a lead guitar line on 11 tracks
Bumblefoot plays a lead guitar line on 3 tracks

If that isn't sharing I don't know what is.

Thanks for doing that, Saved me the time.

Oh and Robin Finck is not to GnR what Slash was, you are nuts to think so. Slash's work will be immortal while Robin's will be forgotten to those outside the fanbase.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Bobo   jim bob very similar names

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

yeah but jim bob would have said slash sucked by now.... wink

Board footer