You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:

Immortals.  Pretty cool, the lead actor sucked. Mickey Rourke is awesome as always. And the Indian chick is hot.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Prometheus was abysmal.....Ridley Scott has officially lost it....The script makes Alien Ressurection look like a Shakespeare play.....

Holy shit! That bums me out SO much.

Bono wrote:

shit. Guess I'll totally pass on Pprometheus then considering I've not heard a single positive review yet

Same here. It's not even that I haven't heard anything positive it's that everything is as bad as the above.

Goddamnitsomuch. I wanted this to be great.

It has a 79% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes after 56 reviews. The response hasn't been completely negative for the film. Sounds like one of those "love it or hate it" movies. If you were looking forward to it, you should still probably give it a chance. Who knows, maybe you'll love it despite some of the complaints you've heard about it.

johndivney wrote:

Just back from Prometheus

Fuckin brilliant.
Loved it.

Fassbender, already legendary, is terrific.

It's nowhere near as funny as Aliens & lacks the tension of the 1st. But it ticks all the boxes on its way to the inevitable sequel. Tip-top sci-fi & mega cool Alien shit.
Story is a little muddled w/plenty of flashes of brilliance (the opening scene for one - I won't mention any other deets for fear of spoilers).

Great entertainment. Ridley still brings it. Kinda actually looking forward w/confidence about Blade Runner 2 now!

I coulda watched Prometheus again now...
(am totally geeking out. great fun.)

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Prometheus was abysmal. Ridley Scott has officially lost it and is now basically reduced to a technical savvy studio shill. And there needs to be a law so we can prosecute people like Lindelof. The script makes Alien Ressurection look like a Shakespeare play.

Theron is hot and bitchy, Fassbender is kinda interesting and there's a few nice pictures. That's about it.

johndivney wrote:

Just back from Prometheus

Fuckin brilliant.
Loved it.

Fassbender, already legendary, is terrific.

It's nowhere near as funny as Aliens & lacks the tension of the 1st. But it ticks all the boxes on its way to the inevitable sequel. Tip-top sci-fi & mega cool Alien shit.
Story is a little muddled w/plenty of flashes of brilliance (the opening scene for one - I won't mention any other deets for fear of spoilers).

Great entertainment. Ridley still brings it. Kinda actually looking forward w/confidence about Blade Runner 2 now!

I coulda watched Prometheus again now...
(am totally geeking out. great fun.)

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

In fairness, Poll is a tough ass critic with weird tastes. I'd take his highly negative review with a grain of salt. Especially with a 79% fresh rating at RottenTomatoes.

johndivney wrote:

i dont wanna say too much for fear of influencing peoples perceptions or leaking spoilers...

i am a massive Alien fanboy.
it & Blade Runner are prob comfortably in my top 10 fave films of all time. but i'd really disliked Ridleys recent out put.
that coupled w/the review i read, had kinda dampened my expectations.

& i mean, it's not like the first Alien. it's more homogeneous an action blockbuster than the suspense/scares/thriller of Alien.
i was surprised @ how enjoyable that aspect was. & then there was a lot of payoff for the fanboy in me too.
it worked out very well. for me.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If you want somebody to slam that new jacket of yours you just bought, my door is always open. 14

I think Aliens and Gladiator are terrible films, though very enjoyable on a blockbuster level. So it's not that I can't stand those type of films even though I wish them eternal damnation. This however was more like Robin Hood. Fail on every level. Forced and cheap homages to the previous films, token black men and a crew that doesn't seem to care at all when somebody dies. Seriously, they don't even mention it, like it never happened.

That being said, a proper directors cut (+45 to 60 mins of extra footage) could make this a decent flick. As it is it just feels extremely rushed.

johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I think Aliens and Gladiator are terrible films, though very enjoyable on a blockbuster level. So it's not that I can't stand those type of films even though I wish them eternal damnation.

holy fuck haha excellent

polluxlm wrote:

Forced and cheap homages to the previous films

well... yea. it is a prequel. to be expected & not a major crime as far as i could tell. there's a lot of homages to other films too, that use of cinematic language is something i love in films.

polluxlm wrote:

That being said, a proper directors cut (+45 to 60 mins of extra footage) could make this a decent flick. As it is it just feels extremely rushed.

jesus, another hour?!
i do agree it felt rushed but noway it needs that much extra material. certain things like the

Hidden Text:

holographs

coulda been expanded upon but i dont see where there'd be benefit from so many more mins..

polluxlm wrote:

a crew that doesn't seem to care at all when somebody dies. Seriously, they don't even mention it, like it never happened.

i found this very refreshing actually.
i was so relieved they didn't expend energy & time on character development & their relationships.
i mean one of the guys who

Hidden Text:

dies alongside guy pearces old man is only there for one thing, he's never introduced i don't think

& that sorta thing helped keep up the quick pace.
sure stringer bell even has a bit of a chuckle when the

Hidden Text:

two guys get stranded on the surface

asif he knows they're done for. the acceptance of the predicament is refreshing & enables them to dispense w/insignificant stuff quickly.  they get to the point & move on swiftly to the next. i don't care when they die, i just like seeing them die. it's good not to be weighed or slowed down by mourning. for the living it's solely about survival - which is kinda the way it's been since Alien tbh. nobody mourned harry dean stanton (to their shame!)
tho "having said that"

Hidden Text:

it is still ridiculous how willingly the co-pilots accepted their suicide-fate of crashing into the other ship

johndivney wrote:

lol defo & see where u come down on this debate

it is flawed & it's not gonna change ur life, but it's worth spending a few quid on.. it's worth the risk - u mite be entertained or at least u can bitch about it, typical film really..

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

This however was more like Robin Hood. Fail on every level. Forced and cheap homages to the previous films, token black men and a crew that doesn't seem to care at all when somebody dies. Seriously, they don't even mention it, like it never happened.

Agreed 100%

Board footer