You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: London, May 31 (14 Years and Dead Flowers w/ Izzy!)

Smoking Guns wrote:

[youtube]Svi5G06fdsc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Sounds killer here!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think...they're both amazing when they push themselves.

Slash said nighttrain was as good as he could play back when they recorded AFD, and now I'd be willing to bet that Anastasia outtro is the absolute pinnacle at the moment of his skills...it's all his crazy techniques in one song.

Likewise...I don't think Axl can scream any higher or longer than he does in IRS...like with Slash it's a song where they've captured him at the edges of his abilities...

I think the problem is the focus on live performance.

For me personally, some of the vocals in twat, irs, catcher and stuff are amongst his best ever vocal performances.

I also still have a lot of faith in his ability to compose melodies, write thought provoking lyrics and so on.

So i think a new Axl recording would be mindblowing if you like the CD directions he's taken (people like buzz who don't care for it are unlikely to like anything he'd do now)..but when the band's sole focus is Axl near his 50s singing songs he's sung 1000 times before and performed in proshot situations in his 20s...then it's sort of setting yourself up for a poor comparison.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

What if Axl cheated though and stretched his voice on Pro Tools? kinda disqualifies that right Monkey?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Well...*maybe* IRS is stretched as there is a weird skip in the isolated version...but I think TWAT is on the level.

You can tell TWAT is within Axl's powers as the first scream he did in the 2009 performance was pretty much exactly that pitch and for a few seconds longer as he added the "yeahhh"

Even the 2012 version has an impressive scream but I think he's a little flat on it.

So my opinion is that he can do it. Just that maybe the studio versions are the best takes of it... but on a good day he can do it....sort of like in Anastasia...I'm sure some days slash plays that faster than others...it's sort of human to have mild variance...

But I think the reason both Twat and Anastasia are so impressive is it's each guy pushing to the limits of what he can do...like axl can *just* do those screams..*kinda*...and that live Anastasia was fucking bad ass amazing..although in tiny ways was a little bit sloppier timing wise in places than the studio version...because I think both songs are each guy really going balls to the wall and putting ALL their ability into the track....

Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

and Bono never got any better than this....it is sad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw2Yj5xtkLE

I guess he should have just quit.

Bono's voice was killer back then. His falsettos on the Zoo TV tour though were incredible.  Bono's voice in 2012  isn't cringe worthy nearly as often as Axl's.  Nobody sings as good in their 50's as they did in their 20's BUT the qualities in Axl's voice that made the songs so killer aren't there anymore. Bono's voice hasnt' had the drastic change Axl's has and that's a fact. Nobody accuses Bono of sounding like Mickey Mouse and they don't think he sounds like a bad imitation of himself the way many view Axl so.....

the sad thing is the people who were amaizng singers tend to suffer more later in life when it comes to performance. Look at Anthony Kiedis, he's never been a  great singer and he sounds pretty much the same today. Dave Pirner from Soul Asylum never had a typically good singing voice but in 2012 he sounds actually better in many ways.

When you have more to lose it's more noticeable when you do.

misterID wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I think Intercourse is right in that this group is going to be compared to the past forever, no matter what. Even if they reunited tomorrow and went tour with a perfect set list, we'd all be comparing the band to themselves 25-30 years ago.

When I first heard this version of 14 Years, I was indifferent to how Axl sang it. As I said before, I was more disappointed in Izzy completely messing up the second verse.

That's not what was being said though. From the very start of this thread (the same) people were acting like Axl was a disaster, which wasn't the case.

16 Guess people just have to say they like something they don't to make you happy. Gives a little insight to how you maybe approach things.  Again just losing your mind because people don't like what you like.

first of all, that is the greatest Bono performance of all time and I actually get teary eyed watching it due to the fact that me and my first love watched this live, taped it on our cassette and listened to it in her room over and over and over. That is the singular moment that blew U2 through the stratosphere. No debating that, I was there. As for Axl vs Bono now, yes, Bono overall sounds better with his songs. However, Axl's songs are WAY more difficult to pull off at 50 than Bono's U2 songs are...that is a fact! Well, it is not a fact but I am just aping you and all your proclamations. 5

Sky Dog wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Is it a stretch that Slash has improved and Axl has gone backwards?

Is it a stretch that you now constantly like to be a dick?

Yes, Slash is a technically better guitar player now than he was. The songs still suck but he is technically good. So, have at it. Myles is the man! Awesome shit if you are 15 years old. My dream is to see DJ and Myles get together. The ultimate shit rock. smile

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Sky Dog, it is a fact that Axl is trying to sing some hard ass shit.  Period.  Bono and Scott Weiland both have limited range, so not too hard to cover their tunes.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

first of all, that is the greatest Bono performance of all time and I actually get teary eyed watching it due to the fact that me and my first love watched this live, taped it on our cassette and listened to it in her room over and over and over. That is the singular moment that blew U2 through the stratosphere. No debating that, I was there. As for Axl vs Bono now, yes, Bono overall sounds better with his songs. However, Axl's songs are WAY more difficult to pull off at 50 than Bono's U2 songs are...that is a fact! Well, it is not a fact but I am just aping you and all your proclamations. 5

Did you just  defend that particular performance as though I cut it down? Or were you just stating your feelings about it and having a  nostalgic moment?

In my opinion the performance itself is overrated. It's not the greatest Bono performance of all time. The circumstances surrounding it are what actually contributed hugely to U2 being thrown into the stratosphere. Bono and everyone in the band thought he fucked it up minutes after it happend and even weeks after Bono went into a slight depression cause he felt he had blown their big moment. Thought about quitting the band, thought he was gonna be kicked out fo the band. Pretty good performance no doubt but hyped up by the circusmatnces around it. It was the worlds first real introduction to U2 so..... It's not their best "performance" though.

Who cares if Axl's songs are harder to sing. He'd likely sound like shit on U2 songs.  He sang the Gn'R songs so that's what he'll be judged against. His performances on his songs, not Bono's performances on Bono's songs.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Sky Dog, it is a fact that Axl is trying to sing some hard ass shit.  Period.  Bono and Scott Weiland both have limited range, so not too hard to cover their tunes.

true Bono's range isn't as diverse as Axl's but Bono did have some abilities that Axl clearly did not. Bono had a falsetto that Axl never did. Granted that's not overly useful for singing rock songs. The youtube clip is a little example.

And here Axl isn't pullying these kinds of notes off and never has. Totally different styles of course but this is 2011 Bono.
Skip to the 2:50 mark
[youtube]LP6bQOQsLEM&feature=related[/youtube]

Again though Bono could never sing Gn'R songs and do them justice. His voice just isn't made for it that's for sure. He's a way better singer than Scott Weiland though and has more range than that guy.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Dude, current Axl sings in falsetto 80% of the time now. Lol

Ummm.... No comment 14

monkeychow wrote:

Likewise...I don't think Axl can scream any higher or longer than he does in IRS...like with Slash it's a song where they've captured him at the edges of his abilities...

Nah Axl's scream on IRS is enhanced in the studio I think. No different than Bono's note he "holds' in Native Son(early version of Vertigo). Axl's is 10 seconds, Bono's is 13 seconds. I don't think either of them are natural.  If CD wasn't so freaking produced I'd have more faith in Axl's voice but far too often on that album his voice sounds fake. At least to my ears.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Dude, current Axl sings in falsetto 80% of the time now. Lol

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Slash is bascially shining a turd on his new stuff. Saying he's playing better than ever doesn't really say much when he's playing shit. hmm

Board footer